Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 04:22 PM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times

Advertisements

Move to a country and benefit from its tolerance and generosity, reciprocate by adapting to and embracing its values and culture. That's so simple even a progressive liberal should be able to understand. It might even get through to some empty noggins like Obama, Merkel and that so called Pope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 04:26 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
DOES this mean I cant go to denmark and open a Mexican/Chinese/korean/Texas bbq restaurant? Or is it just teaching basic western manners?

Old 07-09-2018, 04:27 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Problem is there is no singular Anerican culture.

Which is great because we have so many different foods.

Wrong! We do have an identifying culture which includes the English language. We have minority ones living among us but we still have an identifying one. So what that these minority cultures bring their ethnic foods with them that doesn't change the above. One can always go to a different country if they want to experience a different culture also. I don't want any country to lose their identifying cultures via too much "immigration" as it's what makes a country unique. If you don't want to be a part of mainstream America by assimilating then I suggest you move to a country that represents your native culture. I also think that the Danes are doing it right. Join us or leave us makes sense to me.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:47 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
DOES this mean I cant go to denmark and open a Mexican/Chinese/korean/Texas bbq restaurant? Or is it just teaching basic western manners?
As for Mexican and Chinese, the market is completely saturated. (Although you'd be amazed as to what passes for "Mexican", but that's another story.) Korean could work, Texas BBQ might fill a niche, but the current trend is New Nordic - locally sourced, delicate flavors, not too heavy on the meat, that sort of thing.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:59 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Wrong! We do have an identifying culture which includes the English language. We have minority ones living among us but we still have an identifying one. So what that these minority cultures bring their ethnic foods with them that doesn't change the above. One can always go to a different country if they want to experience a different culture also. I don't want any country to lose their identifying cultures via too much "immigration" as it's what makes a country unique. If you don't want to be a part of mainstream America by assimilating then I suggest you move to a country that represents your native culture. I also think that the Danes are doing it right. Join us or leave us makes sense to me.
IDK, I like going to little tokyo, Koreatown, etc. each having different foods and things to check out.
And its good to be bilingual.

If there is one singular American culture. All it is is corporate consumerist culture. And Basically the stereotype “murrika!” American. We’re too bug to just have one singular culture.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:31 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
We should immersion camps in the US for all immigrants. I worked with a white woman over the weekend who decided at the age of 43 to leave Chicago and move to Mexico. She lives there most of the year. But at first, she didn't know any Spanish, so she signed up for a Spanish immersion camp and it helped her a lot.

Where there is a will, there is a way. But I think that many immigrants in the US, are lazy and just live and work around people from the same country instead of trying to assimilate into our country. And that has just got to stop.

If we want to remain a great country AND want a diverse society, then we need at the very least to have ALL of our residents speaking English.
We need to declare English the official language if we are to get anywhere with that worthy goal. Do that, revoke birthright citizenship and mandate e-verify and pouf, our immigration problems become manageable ( or at least more manageable ) almost immediately.

And yes, I’m a liberal.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:01 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
IDK, I like going to little tokyo, Koreatown, etc. each having different foods and things to check out.
And its good to be bilingual.

If there is one singular American culture. All it is is corporate consumerist culture. And Basically the stereotype “murrika!” American. We’re too bug to just have one singular culture.

Nothing wrong with having ethnic "business" neighborhoods but when out in mainstream America assimilate and blend in. Bi-lingualism is way over valued in this country. Unless you have the type of job dealing with foreigners in a foreign country. Makes more sense to learn something of more value and usage. Spanish is the only language being pushed in this country anyway and that's directly due to unassimilating Hispanics and illegal aliens.

No, corporate consumerism is not the main part of our culture. "Murrika"? My how rude. We have an identifying culture and language even if you don't like it or are noy willing to admit it. All others are just minority cultures living among us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies