Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 05:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

We must be the police for the world lest sombody else take over. This is vital to our leaders.

Quote -

"Our economic and political systems demand that the WAR must go on somewhere for the rest of time lest the unlimited profits of the arms manufactures and power of the warmongers be threatened with peace. Another case of the profit is worth more than the costs in treasure and lives. Mammon is pleased that we continue to worship his wasteful ways." GregW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 06:11 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,091 times
- we don't have a choice.
- everyone does not hate America, if they did, there'd be no lines at embassy buildings
- the US will get the blame for doing nothing, or for doing something

Old 03-31-2008, 06:49 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
- everyone does not hate America, if they did, there'd be no lines at embassy buildings
Short, but says a lot. Our media loves to portray us in as negative a light as possible, but we do a hell of a lot of good around the world. It's only reported when liberals are in office. Now why is that?

Old 03-31-2008, 06:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I think it is time for us to attend to our affairs to let the rest of the world attend to their own. If our investors prefer to invest overseas instead of in our own country let them take the entire risk of foreign piracy or nationalization. It is not our duty to protect these people. It is our duty to protect our people in our country. The rest of the world can do the same. If international businessmen and investors want international protection let them pay for an international police force. We no longer have the means to continue subsidizing the businesses of the world.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:41 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
the US will get the blame for doing nothing, or for doing something
Oh indeed yes.

I have had scruffy Euromarxists scream at me about some kind of American intervention, usually something that their nation participated in as well, and then scream because we did not intervene in something. Makes sense, not.

Still, I reckon we simply cannot afford it any longer. Social Security, Medicare and Defense are the big budget items.

Let the European Union police the world for a change. They have money, navies and fighter planes. I am sure they are ready to deal with a truculent Russia, bullying China, chaotic Middle East and a dysfunctional Africa. It will be good fun to watch their fat egos deflate while the masses scream about American passivity rather than action.

Just stay away from us.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:54 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Oh indeed yes.

I have had scruffy Euromarxists scream at me about some kind of American intervention, usually something that their nation participated in as well, and then scream because we did not intervene in something. Makes sense, not.

Still, I reckon we simply cannot afford it any longer. Social Security, Medicare and Defense are the big budget items.

Let the European Union police the world for a change. They have money, navies and fighter planes. I am sure they are ready to deal with a truculent Russia, bullying China, chaotic Middle East and a dysfunctional Africa. It will be good fun to watch their fat egos deflate while the masses scream about American passivity rather than action.

Just stay away from us.
Maybe they should start with Darfur.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:00 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,569 times
I think we have a moral obligation to play a role on the global stage, but that role should be through diplomacy. Trade and information are powerful tools in aiding foreign citizens to empower themselves. Force shouldn't be the first option, but the last.... and only if the American people decide this is the case through their representatives via a declaration of war.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:37 PM

403 posts, read 748,889 times
Quote:
Yeledaf
Subjective Antiquarian

Not if jessica still wants a new Lexus, a flat-screen TV, or Italian shoes.
Hey, a girl has to have her shoes. And just like U.S debt(for Bush), there should be no limit on the number of shoes a girl can buy.

Quote:

caution

1) We do have a choice. Stay out of other people's affair.
2) Not Everyone hates America. They like our free market, they love our dollar(well, whatever is left of it) but they hate us for telling them what to do in their country.
3) Well, lets try to stay away from other people's problem for one or two decades and lets see if they 'blame us' for every thing or not.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
If we really want to do that then we need to get out of the UN and quite giving aid to other countries.The UN is a sham anyway looking at their commission on hunam rights etc members.But in the end I am afraid that we are the most powerfulk democracy in the world and really the only one that has any real force of arms to do anything effective.Without the ability to use force a nation is pretty powerless really.Souht Korea for example would fold to the north pretty quickly if we left and flareupus like Bosnia would never have been settled except in favor of the bad guys.That's just the way it is and the way it always has been.Ask anybody that was in dessert strom and they will tell you western europe is pretty well powerless as far as militarily speaking.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:34 PM

403 posts, read 748,889 times
At one point you talk about moving out of UN and at the other point you want to do exactly what the U.N wants U.S to do. What is with that?

Just because we are a superpower doesn't mean we have to help everyone. By that example, the liberals can win the argument on the domestic issues---the rich can afford to pay 50% taxes, so lets tax them to pay for everything.

Why don't you compare SouthKorea GDP versus North Korea GDP, then compare their per captia income and then compare their military and then ask the question-----Can North Korea overun South Korea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies