Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 08:24 AM

46,283 posts, read 27,099,738 times

Advertisements

Here is another quote from the Mexican prez...............

Quote:
Mexican president-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador will create a border force to stop illegal immigration and stem the tide of drugs and illegal guns pouring into Mexico from Central and South America.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/32859...-ryan-saavedra

Quote:
"We’re going to create a border police force that will be highly specialized," Durazo told Bloomberg. "They need to apply the law."

Quote:
Bloomberg notes that Durazo's comments were specifically in reference to "stopping undocumented migrants and human traffickers from crossing into Mexico."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 08:29 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
For which we get cheap , dependable hard working labor in return. Both sides in this debate have valid points. We need to control illegal immigration . But we need the labor. So we need to find a way to make it easier to get work visas . People who claim Americans will fill the jobs are delusional . My hometown of 100,000 is so desperate that employers are taking out billboard ads, posting on FB, and putting flyers up asking for workers. But it still has a 3% unemployment rate as companies beg for workers . We have to have the workers or our economy will suffer, especially the construction industry , which is one of the main drivers of the economy .

We? No, these cheap, illegal workers are only making the rich, richer while the American worker/taxpayer gets the shaft! We have plenty of dependable, hard working Americans that were put out of work by these illegal aliens and their greedy employers. We do not need cheap, illegal labor!

You're the delusional one. American construction workers lost their jobs to cheap, illegals just for one example. An American can't even get hired even if they are willing to work those jobs for half of what they used to pay unless they can speak Spanish. If and when we need more workers in this country which is doubtful we can then increase our visas for them but we certainly don't need to do that now.

I keep hearing about all these employers who can't find workers and for the most part it's pure BS! They just don't want to pay a fair wage with benefits. Those who hire illegals pass their enormous social costs on to we the taxpayer to the tune of over $100 billion a year. Are you ok with that? They aren't so cheap after all, are they?

Old 07-11-2018, 08:32 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post

Sounds like he is trying to make mexico great again. Or perhaps for the first time.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:40 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
The Hill article is an opinion piece written by John Lott he's a RWNJ who plays fast and loose with facts The claim that Obrador wants to flood the US with immigrants is a lie and has been debunked. https://www.factcheck.org/2018/06/pa...aign-rhetoric/

He's a nationalist, just like Trump is, some of you admire that about Trump but have disdain for the leader of another country that wants to put his country first.

Quote:
Lopez Obrador said individual and property rights would be guaranteed, promised respect for the autonomy of the Bank of Mexico and said his government will maintain financial and fiscal discipline. He said contracts obtained under energy reforms passed under President Enrique Pena Nieto will be scrutinized for any corruption or illegality, but otherwise contracts will be honored: “There will be no confiscation or expropriation of assets. ... Eradicating corruption will be the principal mission,” he said. Lopez Obrador also spoke of support for migrants and said the most forgotten and humble people of Mexico will be given preference in his government. He said he will seek a relationship of “friendship and respect” with the United States. And rather than the use of force to fight spiraling violence, he will look to fix root causes such as inequality and poverty. “Peace and tranquility are the fruits of justice,” Lopez Obrador said.
https://www.apnews.com/c70fc59387fd4309bd30824f52080378/Mexico's-Lopez-Obrador-on-brink-of-historic-presidential-win

Old 07-11-2018, 08:40 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
From the same daily wire article above . He seems to be a contradiction .

Reducing punishment for criminals will lower violence ?...

“He also announced his desire to lower the violence in the cartel-laden nation by "legalizing drugs, instituting gun control, and reducing punishment for criminals."”

Old 07-11-2018, 08:41 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post

He's a real piece of work. He seems a bit delusional.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:43 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
Just as I feel the US needs to fix our own problems before we can or should help other countries, Mexico needs to figure out their problems and fix their country so that people don’t need to leave.

It’s not the United States responsibility to fix other countries issues. We have too many issues here that are causing a huge divide between our own citizens. Let’s straighten them out first and then try to help others.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:44 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
I knew people who lived here,(Mexican) actually were nice guys I considered friends who worked here and sent there money back to someone in Mexico. Thy said they did. I am not sure if they got deported or not. It's too bad that they didn't go through the process, become legal citizens and make their living here and spend it here.
I understand that the process is difficult but that doesn't make it right. I want to move to New Zealand but without qualifying I can't. It's a want not a need. Most definitely not a "right".

Old 07-11-2018, 08:57 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Many Americans are for open borders allowing anyone in the world to come in no questions asked? How many ?
I have not taken a poll.

However, it is clear the vast majority of Congress has no interest whatsoever in securing our border. You could also add all the Presidents between Eisenhower and Trump.

A vast array of state and local governments block any moves to squelch illegal immigration. Thus, I doubt any of them would want to secure it.

Moving on to the general populace, a great many people go ballistic regarding any talk of securing the border. Some dismiss it as impossible while others cloak it in civil rights jargon. But the result is the same.

Finally, the media generally responds to it with rolled eyes and snarkiness.

So how many? I don't know, but it seems to be a lot.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:20 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
From the same daily wire article above . He seems to be a contradiction .
Reducing punishment for criminals will lower violence ?...
“He also announced his desire to lower the violence in the cartel-laden nation by "legalizing drugs, instituting gun control, and reducing punishment for criminals."”
Cartels are in business because drugs are illegal, if you decriminalize drugs the cartels go away. if you aren't sure about that look at what happened before and after prohibition in the US.

I think this may be what he has in mind in regards to 'reducing punishment for criminals'

Quote:
"The objective of this law is to bring youth who for various reasons of economic survival, extortion, pressure from organized crime are (working) in the illegal into the legal," Durazo said. There could be hundreds of thousands of youth working as lookouts for organized crime, he said. "We have to give them a way out. The advisers said any amnesty would be aimed only at lower-level people involved in cartel activities, often out of coercion. Criminals guilty of violent acts would be excluded, they said. https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/201...-security.html
If he wants to secure Mexico's borders that should result in fewer people from Central America making their way to the US, if he can actually reduce or eliminate government corruption Mexico's economy might actually recover enough so that their people won't live in grinding poverty. I'm not sure why you want to try to cast this guy as some kind of crazy marxist...I think it's time that Mexico tried something different, Pena-Nieto's PRI party proved itself incapable of ending corruption, in fact they were at the heart of much of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies