Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 09:36 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times

Advertisements

North Dakota only has a low unemployment rate because people only really move up there for specific assigned jobs in very specific industries, such as oil.

Good luck if anyone moves there hoping to find jobs in tech, law, healthcare - things that most people actually have careers in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 10:39 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
North Dakota only has a low unemployment rate because people only really move up there for specific assigned jobs in very specific industries, such as oil.

Good luck if anyone moves there hoping to find jobs in tech, law, healthcare - things that most people actually have careers in.
Agreed. And you wouldn't want to be unemployed there when winter rolls around.

I've visited Grand Forks once. Very average, forgettable place, IMO. Bland and 'white'. No soul, nothing interesting culturally, or architecturally.

I definitely couldn't live there, but to each their own.

New Mexico, on the other hand, is beautiful, and I would consider living there.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:57 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Agreed. And you wouldn't want to be unemployed there when winter rolls around.

I've visited Grand Forks once. Very average, forgettable place, IMO. Bland and 'white'. No soul, nothing interesting culturally, or architecturally.

I definitely couldn't live there, but to each their own.

New Mexico, on the other hand, is beautiful, and I would consider living there.
But their ice rink! If it were just a little bigger the UND rink could rival some NHL rinks.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:05 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Not sure which side of North Dakota they originated, but North Dakota social services places children who need residential care in Minnesota facilities. When they reach 18, North Dakota stops the funding and the social worker who visits intermittently tells them that coming back to North Dakota would be pointless as there are no services for them there.

In Duluth, Lutheran Social Services used to provide support for the months until they were eligible for Minnesota support. Social workers in Minneapolis and St. Paul reported a similar phenomena.

Adults with long-term mental health issues were placed in Minnesota board and care facilities. If they left for a time, say to return home for an unauthorized visit, the funding was cut off. No support services in their home community, so they'd wander back to Minnesota where social workers would work to get them stabilized again. Only this time, North Dakota would not provide funding as there had been a break in service.

Also, on a more or less regular basis, North Dakota residents who hit a bad patch, show up in Minnesota. Some call the Crisis Team from the bus station.

Now you would think things would have changed since the oil business brightened North Dakota's financial situation. Friends who still work in social services in Minnesota say not really.
Getting hands on money from oil is impossible. This doesn’t entirely surprise me. I’ve done a lot of research into how this state funds K-12 education and it’s awful. But for such a small state, our state government is (in my opinion) very focused on special interests.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:19 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Also, North Dakota dumps those with significant mental health problems in Minnesota.
So THAT explains it. Always wondered why Minnesota was a blue state.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:23 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Nebraska has to rank up there for worst drive.
I take it you've never driven in LA traffic. I-80 is a paradise in comparison.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:32 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I have to be honest, I sort of hope Medicaid goes to a per-capita block program. Where Medicaid is doled out on a per-capita basis tied to inflation.

That would greatly benefit states like North Dakota and Iowa which expanded Medicaid but have very low enrollments due to their economic efforts that have paid off.

States like New Mexico and California would either have to have huge tax increases or the whole health care system would collapse under block grants.

New Mexico 838,000 out of the 2.088 million residents on Medicaid

North Dakota 94,000 out of 755,000 on Medicaid.

North Dakota expanded Medicaid also.

http://www.hsd.state.nm.us/uploads/F..._County_19.pdf

https://www.kff.org/health-reform/st...:%22desc%22%7D

I am all for a robust Medicaid program like in North Dakota, but in New Mexico they only reimburse providers at 78% of the Medicare fee which brings the whole health care system closer and closer to collapse.

North Dakota is a very, very rich state so unlike New Mexico, it can afford to reimburse primary care providers at Medicare rates.

https://www.kff.org/medicaid/state-i...2:%22asc%22%7D

No idea what this is supposed to tell us. New Mexico is a poor state. Has been since it became a state.
That being said, I'm curious, how many of those receiving Medicaid in each state are also working?

P.S. Have to applaud you for comparing two Republican-led states for a change.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:07 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

There’s actually a HUGE shortage of tech and healthcare personnel here.

Last edited by lisan23; 07-11-2018 at 02:34 PM..

Old 07-11-2018, 02:19 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,645 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Quote:
Also, North Dakota dumps those with significant mental health problems in Minnesota.
Guess that explains what’s wrong with Minnesota

Old 07-11-2018, 02:31 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Something that needs to be understood. Low income people are not the only persons eligible for Medicaid. If you have certain disabilities or if you become pregnant, you are eligible for Medicaid. And standards for Medicaid vary from state to state.

In North Dakota, this is who is eligible for Medicaid:

Low-income individuals from birth
Children in foster care or subsidized adoption
Former foster care children up to age 26, under certain circumstances
Children with disabilities (birth to 19)
Pregnant women
Women with breast or cervical cancer
Workers with disabilities
Other blind and disabled individuals
Low-income Medicare beneficiaries (Medicare Savings Programs)

In New Mexico:

Elderly
Low Income
Blind and Other Disabled
Pregnant women are eligible for pregnancy-related coverage with household income up to 250% of poverty.*
Children are eligible for CHIP with income up to 240% of poverty (ages 7 - 18) or 300% of poverty (ages 0 - 6).

North Dakota has a lower percentage of those who are disabled compared to New Mexico. This includes all disabilities, physical, mental, intellectual,etc.

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/stat...11/sect01.html

North Dakota has one of the highest employment rates for those who are disabled. New Mexico has one of the lowest rates of employment for those who are disabled. Employment for Americans with Disabilities: State by State statistics | Fortune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies