Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 10:15 AM

26,993 posts, read 13,240,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, great, but it is not that simple

Germany is a NATO member and the NATO contract would therefore be broken between Germany and the USA. The German government could kick out US military bases but that would require amendments to NATO.

So if they want to kick us out, better talk to their other NATO members.

They've been moaning and biotching about Americans for years, but if US base really closed in Germany, they would have something else to moan about.

1. Economic losses in areas previously hosting bases: Americans personnel working and living on base buy local goods, and use local services. No more American personnel would mean less economic activity locally, and less demand for goods and services.

2. The absence of US forces would mean Germany would have to increase defense spending and increase the size of the Bundeswehr to compensate. Germany's neighbors might find this a less than ideal development.
The French kicked out US Forces in 1966, and had no problem doing so.

In terms of the UK, we mainly have intelligence/communications bases as well as the USAF, who tend to be easier to live with than Army soldiers or drunken sailors on shore leave. The US Forces in the UK don't cause much trouble, and there are a lot less of them than in Germany or indeed Italy.

Germany has never liked foreign military bases, whilst there has been strained relations between US Forces and locals in some parts of Italy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 10:21 AM

39,023 posts, read 27,418,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The French kicked out US Forces in 1966, and had no problem doing so.

In terms of the UK, we mainly have intelligence/communications bases as well as the USAF, who tend to be easier to live with than Army soldiers or drunken sailors on shore leave. The US Forces in the UK don't cause much trouble, and there are a lot less of them than in Germany or indeed Italy.

Germany has never liked foreign military bases, whilst there has been strained relations between US Forces and locals in some parts of Italy.
well, like I said earlier, if they want us out, they need to talk to other NATO members (see above post)

I have no problems taking the troops home, closing the bases. But I am pretty sure Germans would have other things to moan about.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
well, like I said earlier, if they want us out, they need to talk to other NATO members (see above post)

I have no problems taking the troops home, closing the bases. But I am pretty sure Germans would have other things to moan about.
Britain has already withdrawn it's troops from Germany.

It's up to the US and Germany as to the future of US Forces in Germany.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Britain has already withdrawn it's troops from Germany.

It's up to the US and Germany as to the future of US Forces in Germany.
well, I am pretty sure majority of the American people have no problems with that.

Let's do it.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
well, I am pretty sure majority of the American people have no problems with that.

Let's do it.
Our troops are already gone, so we don't have to do anything.

It's up to the US if it wants to keep troops in Germany and nothing to do with the UK.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:49 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,214,458 times
Dear friends you can stop kow tow to EU now
We are an independent nation and have saved their posterior several times
The EU has its spending priorities messed up and wants us to make up the difference
We are their friends and allied not an atm
If they decide to spend the rent on playing Santa Claus with Syria not our job to pay it

Old 07-14-2018, 02:29 PM

30,011 posts, read 18,838,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserFinn View Post
Yep, this would be very ok if you promise to keep Trump inside of the borders and don't let him travel around making his "Big ego fake deals".

And yes, we have yes this tiny insignificant country and we are quite happy with that but in future you will not be happy when Trump has done his work and you have big insignificant N-Korea country, under Moscow control.
At the end of the day, you'll be thanking God or whatever you consider a higher power for Trump voters giving the world so great a leader to solve the big fat mess the world was in when he arrived to fix it.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:54 PM

18,986 posts, read 9,020,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
At the end of the day, you'll be thanking God or whatever you consider a higher power for Trump voters giving the world so great a leader to solve the big fat mess the world was in when he arrived to fix it.
LOL. Do you do stand up comedy? You're a hoot!

Old 07-14-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Our troops are already gone, so we don't have to do anything.

It's up to the US if it wants to keep troops in Germany and nothing to do with the UK.
well, when I say, "Let's do it"

meaning okay, I agree with you, bring U.S. troops home.

lol man, I didn't mean to criticize YOUR country (I have no ideas where you are original from)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies