Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 09:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,927,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
so violence is not a hate crime? LOL.

I didn't know what gang bangers do is an act of love. I guess they don't really mean it. They are just misunderstood.

well if Obama couldn't fix it in 8 years and he is from Chicago then don't blame it on Trump now.

As I explained -- hate crime in legal terms is a distinct type of crime. Not all acts of violence that are crimes are defined as hate crimes by law.

I didn't blame Trump.

I said Trump said he could fix it.

Didn't blame him.

Merely stated -- didn't even really criticize -- merely stated.

Big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 09:25 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,250,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You asked me and I told you -- absolutely.

I don't care what color they are.

that is not how is viewed and you know it........when was the last time a black person or a minority in this country was charge with a hate crime on a white person or any other group for verbally assaulting them in an argument?

if this man was Mexican and he was verbally assaulting the Puerto Rican (some Mexicans and Puerto Ricans don't get along) would the Mexican be charge with a hate crime?

you know the answer to that.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:25 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,304,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
"Timothy Trybus was initially charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct and misdemeanor assault before his charges were upgraded."
1. He assaulted no one. At one point a man touched his arm.
2. "Disorderly conduct" isn't a crime as a crime requires a victim.

Two felony charges and the man never broke the non-aggression principle.

Authoritarians rejoice!

Old 07-13-2018, 09:30 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,808,044 times
I think the prosecution is pushing this because it's what they can do. The officer who walked away when he could have interceded is casting a shadow over the police department, but as he's resigned, there's little they can do to him. So to salvage public opinion, they are going gangbusters after the bigot.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:31 AM

52,530 posts, read 34,259,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
"Timothy Trybus was initially charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct and misdemeanor assault before his charges were upgraded."
so here we have a 'hate crime' supposedly based on disorderly conduct and [verbal] 'assault' based on not liking a woman's shirt?
one in which the 'victim' was neither verbally abused, cursed, or called a racially or ethnically-oriented epithet?

is that about it?

it's a load of crap.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:33 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,483,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think the prosecution is pushing this because it's what they can do. The officer who walked away when he could have interceded is casting a shadow over the police department, but as he's resigned, there's little they can do to him. So to salvage public opinion, they are going gangbusters after the bigot.
Bingo. I don't think "hate crime" charges will stick on this one. Prosecutors have a curious habit of overcharging sometimes - and sometimes it's detrimental to their case.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:33 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,180,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
Wow, that's great news.
Thought the prick would get off with a slap on the wrist, or a disorderly conduct charge.
As to how it was a hate crime; It's the perfect example of a hate crime.
Dude committed a crime, and it was due to his hate of an individual, over their country of birth.
It just so happens that the moron didn't realize he was hating America.
Not a hate crime. Explain.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:36 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,250,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
so here we have a 'hate crime' supposedly based on disorderly conduct and [verbal] 'assault' based on not liking a woman's shirt?
one in which the 'victim' was neither verbally abused, cursed, or called a racially or ethnically-oriented epithet?

is that about it?

it's a load of crap.

I seen more verbal assaults wearing a Cowboys Jersey in an Eagles game in Philly....lol

this is a political correct case and they are going overboard with the hate crime charge.

and by the way, I'm Puerto Rican.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
that is not how is viewed and you know it........when was the last time a black person or a minority in this country was charge with a hate crime on a white person or any other group for verbally assaulting them in an argument?

if this man was Mexican and he was verbally assaulting the Puerto Rican (some Mexicans and Puerto Ricans don't get along) would the Mexican be charge with a hate crime?

you know the answer to that.

I don't know the answer as you see it.

That's the point. I don't know anybody in real life that supports verbal or physical assault to police officers or anybody.

That's your perception that ALL liberals or all Trump haters must not think like you.

It just isn't true.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
1. He assaulted no one. At one point a man touched his arm.
2. "Disorderly conduct" isn't a crime as a crime requires a victim.

Two felony charges and the man never broke the non-aggression principle.

Authoritarians rejoice!

He did indeed verbally assault her for quite some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies