Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 04:59 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,334 times

Advertisements

We must regroup our forces and defend ourselves from the evils of outer space and Mexico.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:01 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
No matter what side your on, gotta asmit that there is so much unhinged folks coming out of the woodworks. Left and right. Both sides have something to bring. Perhaps there can be a compromise and learn theres a purpose for both sides again? Like two sides of the brain where there’s a time and place to ubtilize either a left or right decision.
One word. Yes

The 2 parties have morphed into unrecognizable animals. The heroes of the Democrats Rosevelt and Kennedy wouldn't get elected dog catcher on the platforms they believed in.
Reagan was whacked to the right enough. He would be called a RINO today.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:06 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Or just eliminate gerrymandering and watch as elected officials are forced to take reasonable positions and compromise with the other side instead of pandering to a select subset of the electorate that has been cherrypicked to serve as a constituency for the purpose of supporting a Hobbesian leviathan on both sides of the aisle.
Step 1. I'm fully on board. But the SCOTUS seems quite inclined to allow unfettered gerrymandering at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Politically there are three major groups in the US, conservatives, liberals, and moderates. Sometimes the moderates vote R, sometimes D. National elections go the way moderates go, even if the R's and D's make believe moderates don't exist. Neither the R's or the D's can win without support from moderates. Moderates may partly agree with the R's and partly with the D's, depending upon the issue.

Currently both the R's and the D's, especially the D's today, are controlled by the more extreme elements amongst them. The only hope for common ground and unity lies with the moderates, yet neither the R's or D's want common ground or unity.

By way of example I consider myself a moderate. I voted Carter, Reagan, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush, Bush, Obama, Romney, Trump. Admittedly I wasn't all that excited with Romney but I had grown totally disenchanted with Obama by time that election rolled around.

By way of example, this moderate partly agrees with both R's and D's. I support gay rights, oppose illegal immigration & open borders, would support a major deportation effort, would support a single payer health system or Medicare for all type system, and support gun rights. A mixed bag agreeing and disagreeing with both R's and D's
Truly ~ I think that is where the majority of people are. Or were anyway. Some policies they like - some they don't for either party.

Trouble is - we have only two choices. Chicken or fish. So we all root for our home team.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:07 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Truly ~ I think that is where the majority of people are. Or were anyway. Some policies they like - some they don't for either party.

Trouble is - we have only two choices. Chicken or fish. So we all root for our home team.
I agree. Sometimes one of the choices seems acceptabl3e, but for me back in 2012, neither choice was truly acceptable, and so I went with the one who was least unacceptable.

The country will remain divided until such point as both the R's and D's decide to move closer to the middle. The crazies in their midst have pulled them too far towards the extremes.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:12 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Yes.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:13 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
A son-in-law of any political leaning getting along with his mother-in-law of any political leaning? Oh please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies