Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 06:22 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtaylor View Post
Sure they can, they have roadside checks all the time
Where they check everyone. If they were checking every single person you might have an argument but on top of that, that was only ruled legal because driving isn't a "right", it's a "privilege", which is all B.S. but still not applicable here.

They can't pull an individual over and say "show me your papers" when they have done nothing else.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Yes it was, he was carrying it illegally...
Again, I'm not interested when you or anyone else tries and change the argument mid way through.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
You keep wanting to not mention that they knew the thug had a weapon,
No, you keep on making things up which I then ignore.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:30 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
If you're referencing the recent shooting in Chicago I shared my issues with that situation. And was specific.
And the other poster that you're asking what their post has to do with anything has also shared his thoughts and was specific.

See how that works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Ive never defended the cop in Chicago. Ive never defended the cop in South Carolina. No one can honestly ever say I did. Yes there are a handful of police shooting per year that violate the law. However as I stated before and I will never waiver from it that at least 99% of all police shootings are justified. This supposed outrage by BLM is nothing more than a cover for the race hustlers and the anti cop movement.
I don't know if there are just a handful of shootings and I also don't know if at least 99% of police shootings are justified. You don't know that either. There is no way to know that given police corruption and the tacit agreement that the other boys in blue won't rat them out. The Laquon McDonald videotape wasn't released for at least a year because of the cover up.

The whole system is rigged and needs an overhaul. The very fact that investigations are done internally is a joke in itself.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:30 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Again, I'm not interested when you or anyone else tries and change the argument mid way through.
Are you the gatekeeper of this thread? Just because you disagree does not mean other people cannot express their opinions. Whether it interests you or doesn't fit your agenda is meaningless.

This guy had a chance to go through the proper channels to have a resolution to the interaction but chose the stupid way and look how it ended up for him. Of course he got his point across, nobody is going to tell him what to do anymore. Fat lot of good that does him now.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Are you the gatekeeper of this thread? Just because you disagree does not mean other people cannot express their opinions.
I never said they couldn't did I? I said if you are discussing something with me and then change the argument mid way that is dishonest and I'm not interested.

I've simply ignored a long list of dishonest arguments. You are most certainly free to continue posting them.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
You just ignore anyone thats smarter than you and brings up points you can not argue.. your neighborhood is a human ****hole and your only call to action is to blame the police for trying to clean up the mess???? LOL
I live in a small town with very little crime.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
So you clearly have no idea what these areas need to get on track.. thanks for admitting that
That once again is not the discussion. Where in Chicago do you live?

Old 07-20-2018, 06:45 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The COP is now retired comfortably and lost pretty much nothing. The new COP is a long-time veteran of the force. Rahm...won re-election despite the cover-up being unveiled.

That's the Chicago it's voters deserve which is ironic because given the city control of voting blocs it's really not a democracy but more of an oligarchy.
Exactly. In fact, don't be surprised if he isn't on some force somewhere else. These dopes do get exactly what they deserve since they keep voting in the same morons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Several factors in play here.

You have 10% of the US population (roughly) and the most salacious stories of course make the news.

Canada has less dense population centers.

The US has more gun violence so US cops would rightfully be more leary of interactions in bad areas than Canadian police.

Imagine if we compared the US to Canada excluding the major population centers?

For example, Illinois excluding the Chicago metro has about the same gun violence rate as Canada. The Chicago-Metro gun violence rate is something like 8x higher than the rest of the state. One would expect that they also have a lot higher incidence of violent interactions with people they pull over too.

Good discussion, complex issue but interesting to note that rural parts of the US pretty much seem to be similar to Canada in many of these metrics but are skewed by intense population clusters.

Lastly Mr. Lilly White (like myself), I lived in Chicago so let me explain the situation to you. The nice parts of Chicago have problems no different than what you are used to. You'd be fine. Cops wouldn't pull you over after a bistro visit in Lincoln Park with their guns drawn lmfao.

If they pulled you over on the south side for running a light, they'd suspect you're a junky and looking for a hit....or lost.

The vastly disproportional interactions happen in a tiny part of US geography that is densely populated, mostly minority (due to historical oppression) and is the concentration of murder, drugs, gangs and police wrongdoing.
I'll go one further. If you look at the FBI statistics that I've posted previously, you'll see the odds of a cop being shot or physically attacked are much higher when stopping a black male between the ages of 18 and 30-something than when stopping anyone else. Nobody ever wants to discuss that fact when it comes to trigger happy cops.

I'm not justifying trigger happy cops, mind you - I think they need better training, but as you've stated, a cop isn't likely to be as nervous pulling over an Andrew Martin on Nagle and Gunnison who is all 'yes, sir' and 'no sir' as they are pulling over a black guy in one of the 5 violent districts who is already giving the cop a hard time from the start. In fact, prior to this incident a cop had just been shot by a black male during a traffic stop.

The guy in this situation wasn't having it from the start. The cops knew he had a gun and he knew he had no right to carry it the way he was without proper licensing. He ran off, put his hand on his gun and only a liar can claim they're surprised by that outcome.

People who say cops are always wrong are as much a part of the problem as the ones who say cops are always right. Everybody knows they're either stupid or lying, so the conversation ends there, when it really needs to continue because there really is a problem with police corruption and abuse of power.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
And? This wasn't an illegal possessed gun so what argument are you trying to make?
Reportedly, Agustus did not have a permit to c/c. Illinois, like most states, requires permitting for c/c.

If he had left his gun at home, he would be alive.

If he had not reacted the way he did, he would be alive today.

When CPD is able to capture an alleged shooter and weapon, it is typically not registered to the shooter and the shooter has no permit to carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies