Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 01:47 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtaylor View Post
Again, everyone has told you that his civil rights were NOT violated, how hard is that for you to understand???
Maybe civil rights *were* violated.

It's a moot point when you're out-gunned, and both the courts and a huge majority of the public don't *think* civil rights were violated. Or don't care that they were.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:03 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
You are a 21 year old kid that thinks he has all of the answers without knowing how the real world works... you have been proven to be wrong time and time again by everyone here...
Normally I won't make a post personal. That poster is big on everyone else taking a stand, regardless of consequence to make his point. What I dont see is that poster making a trip to Chicago and putting his beliefs to the test himself.
I am 55 and have served. I love my country. I have children of 3 different races. 2 are adopted. I wouldn't want my black son to live in Chicago, nor did I raise him to be a victim of stupidity, or make excuses for failure.
I raised him to recognize the realities of life and act accordingly. The black kid in an almost all white community has a good job and makes as much as I did at my peak. NOT Bad.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:06 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Quote:
Maybe thats true... but when that area of the city is a war zone, I have no problem with what happened.. and if the community has a problem with that, I say pull all police presence out and let the wild west mentality rule supreme..

Most Americans see things similarly. Most judges reflexively side with police and against civil rights... therefore there's a mountain of case law saying that the cops were in the clear here... not the least of which is Terry v. Ohio.

So I'm not really saying that pknopp is *wrong* here. In theory I kinda agree with him. I'm just saying that in practice, it doesn't matter. The guy is dead, the cops will face no consequences, and it'll happen again and again.

The only way Pknopp's take on the incident will matter is if he and others can build the kind of political power to challenge these practices via legislation.

Good luck with that

Old 07-20-2018, 02:10 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Normally I won't make a post personal. That poster is big on everyone else taking a stand, regardless of consequence to make his point. What I dont see is that poster making a trip to Chicago and putting his beliefs to the test himself.
I am 55 and have served. I love my country. I have children of 3 different races. 2 are adopted. I wouldn't want my black son to live in Chicago, nor did I raise him to be a victim of stupidity, or make excuses for failure.
I raised him to recognize the realities of life and act accordingly. The black kid in an almost all white community has a good job and makes as much as I did at my peak. NOT Bad.
You get an A+ as a parent and he gets an A+ for executing what you taught him.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:20 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Maybe thats true... but when that area of the city is a war zone, I have no problem with what happened.. and if the community has a problem with that, I say pull all police presence out and let the wild west mentality rule supreme..
A neighborhood YOU DON'T LIVE IN. How do you know that innocent residents want to get harrassed? What if they catch a weed charge because a cop just wants to stop them for no reason? Maybe an officer makes them late to work. Maybe they get a false charge, because an officer needs to drum up a charge to justify the stop.

So many issues with your mentality.

And on top of that, you want to "punish" those residents if they don't support your violating of their rights. Boy. You sure are something else.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Thank you but the credit goes to him. He avoids people who are negative or make excuses. He knows that those kinds of friends aren't friends they are users.
That boy 28 now, worked on a dairy farm for money. LOL his cheap dad didn't pay him to do chores around the house. He learned work ethic young. Along with shooting, hunting and fishing.
He hated school so he went to a tech school instead of college. He is doing well.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:22 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The issue is kids can't choose where they're born.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The issue is kids can't choose where they're born.
Very true. Some get a lucky break and are born to a rich family.
Some are born to nurturing families.
Some are adopted into nurturing families.
The young man who was shot? Well he had choices and he made a series of bad ones. Concealing a gun without a permit? In an anti-gun city? Very bad choice.
Not complying ? Bad choice.
Reaching for a gun when the cop is already twitchy? Well that sealed his fate either way.
All bad choices..
He could have chosen to leave Chicago and go to a place more in alignment with his beliefs? Maybe Chicago and his friends were the choice that made him stay. No one forced him to carry a gun illegally. No one forced him to not comply. No one forced him to reach for the weapon. Those were choices he made, he controlled his fate in that regard.
Should the cop have shot him? I don't expect any cop to wait to be fired upon first. No job in the world is worth taking that kind of a chance or giving that kind of advantage to the other guy.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:02 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
LOL. you played a what if game and I responded.
Is me risking a bullet or death worth me making a point? Not to me.
I wouldn't live in Chicago on a bet, for many reasons, their gun laws being among them.
I am no coward, I simply pick and chose my battles. I worked for a Fortune 500 corporation. I disagreed with many things. In fact more than I agreed with. I agreed with my pay check, my benefits and job stability. I could have argued every policy I didn't like and gotten fired. Would that have changed anything? NO
Instead I taught others to make the rule book their bible. Beat them with their own rules.

In the case of this shooting.
It was from the video I saw, a valid shooting. I dont agree with Chicago's gun laws. Never will. That said if in Chicago I will obey them. Getting shot, getting arrested, getting a felony record isn't worth pushing my beliefs.
As I said before, if you feel it is, feel free to do so.
Personally I don't feel that I should have to fear walking down any street in America. I dont care day or night, I should be able to without fear of personal danger. The reality is there are many places I wouldn't expect to live long if I did. The problem with beliefs and theories is that Reality trumps them every time.
What you would do plays no role in this.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:03 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
You are a 21 year old kid that thinks he has all of the answers without knowing how the real world works... you have been proven to be wrong time and time again by everyone here...
If you want to make this about me as opposed to what others are facing, have at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies