Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 01:57 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times

Advertisements

And if Hilary was in office she would have excluded white men from even being considered, Looks like he is picking based on qualifications, not skin color. Just like how Martin luther King wanted it. Good job trump!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 02:01 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Complains? I saw no complaining, I saw factual statements.

And the only people threatened by acknowledgement and discussion of these facts are the ones who refuse to acknowledge that "white male" is every bit as much of an identity as any other category. And the fact that 107 out of 113 Supreme Court justices have been white men is identity politics run amuck no matter how much white men like to deny that and pretend that white male is the default and it's only things that vary from it that are an issue.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:06 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

And the only people threatened by acknowledgement and discussion of these facts are the ones who refuse to acknowledge that "white male" is every bit as much of an identity as any other category. And the fact that 107 out of 113 Supreme Court justices have been white men is identity politics run amuck no matter how much white men like to deny that and pretend that white male is the default and it's only things that vary from it that are an issue.
So what is the alternative? Appointing minorities because they are minorities?

Old 07-15-2018, 02:07 PM

501 posts, read 303,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
He picked Gorsuch, a westerner (we are very underrepresented without Sandra Day O'Connor and Rehnquist).
And now a midwesterner who did not go to an Ivy League.
Not that I object to Kavanaugh's nomination but he did graduate from Yale.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
Not that I object to Kavanaugh's nomination but he did graduate from Yale.
Oops I must have been thinking of someone else

Old 07-15-2018, 02:12 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:

Correct.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:14 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
So what is the alternative? Appointing minorities because they are minorities?
How about acknowledging that non white males can also be qualified and be put into consideration. Yes, Trump had a woman on his short list, but all white, all Christian. To pretend they were the ONLY qualified candidates is absurd, just as absurd as thinking that the only reason a woman or person of color might get nominated is based solely on that identity rather than on qualifications and thinking outside the box to broaden the pool of qualified people.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
How about acknowledging that non white males can also be qualified and be put into consideration. Yes, Trump had a woman on his short list, but all white, all Christian. To pretend they were the ONLY qualified candidates is absurd, just as absurd as thinking that the only reason a woman or person of color might get nominated is based solely on that identity rather than on qualifications and thinking outside the box to broaden the pool of qualified people.

I don't think anybody said they aren't qualified. Sounds like the issue you have is with the folks who came up with the list of candidates. Who is to say, though, that the Federalist Society looked at their membership and went "nope not a white male, nope not a white male, token female" . . . Sounds unlikely to me.

I mean, in all honesty, I only know white folks that associate with the Federalist Society, as you would expect from a conservative legal group.

In fact I don't see how that is inconsistent with acknowledging that white men predominate SCOTUS. White men predominate a lot of things (including the legal profession itself).

Old 07-15-2018, 02:24 PM

501 posts, read 303,182 times
Quote:
Yes, Trump had a woman on his short list, but all white, all Christian.
Amul Thapar. Not white, Christian but raised Hindu.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:25 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
To pretend that any non-white nominee of Trump’s wouldn’t be put through the ringer is stupid. I remember the high tech lynching that Thomas got, and have heard how Ben Carson is now a Nazi, and very stupid despite coming up in the ghetto and rising to be one of the top pediatric neurosurgeons in the world.

Perhaps it makes it difficult to get qualified candidates of color to even agree to working for him, which is why the Democrats do it in the first place. They can’t stand the GOP picking people of color. Look what they did to Bush’s AG who was Hispanic. He was far better than the two Obama chose, but he lost his job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies