Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2019, 01:42 PM

72,864 posts, read 62,340,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The south has been on handouts moreso than any other region except maybe Appalachia. That you just mentioned how they are poor, but don't admit that the poor are on handouts is absolutely imbecilic.

So of course Affirmative Action is needed for the disadvantaged South. Or doesn't it apply for whites?

No not before handouts. You are very uneducated or just don't care about the truth or both. Up until the 1920s when blacks voted republican and didn't get handouts the black UE rate was lower than whites. Once the handouts began black UE rate went higher than whites. That you say otherwise is dishonest.

Poor people were leading the USA in out of wedlock births. Not that you care about the truth or whites.

If black men historically have a harder time finding jobs, then explain why black UE was lower than white UE until the 1920's? Make something else up.

Your posts are so dishonest, it's laughable.
The South was poor before the "handouts" were doled out. In fact, it was people who saw that the South was very poor and far behind that people wanted to help. Handouts were not the only things being offered. Many people were offered and took some hard jobs.

And I know plenty about Appalachia. That region has basically been raped. Resources taken out of the region by outside interests, but very little went to the people there. Handouts weren't keeping people poor. The semi-feudal business practices were keeping people poor in the mountains. In the cotton fields of the Black Belt, it was basically a plantation economy. A few who owned land, and alot of poor people being share croppers, basically paying rent on land they farmed. People were being kept poor by the feudalistic ways of the South.

Blacks were voting Republican in sizable numbers until the Kennedy and Johnson years. The death kneel to Blacks voting Republican was Barry Goldwater's lack of support for the Civil Rights Act. This is why I write of people who assume handouts are the only reason Blacks vote Democrat. I write those persons off as bigots because, why else would one make such asinine statements? It's like said persons are blatantly ignoring that the Civil Rights Act was a major factor. And you're basically saying "Blacks are lazy" in a roundabout way.

My posts are dishonest? You are the one claiming there is no systematic racism. You are dishonest. Tell you what. If all you can do is claim 'there is no racism" or claim that I'm crazy, go somewhere else and quit responding to my posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Why should this come as a surprise? Whites far outnumber other groups in the US so it is to be expected. The rate (compared to their population numbers) that whites are killed by police however is far less than some other groups.
I will call this as it is. Some people are bringing this up for one reason and one reason only: The idea is "Black people don't deal with racism" or try to make Black people feel like "I must be crazy to think that there is racism against Blacks",etc. Basically, the old stand by of crazy making.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:50 PM

28,619 posts, read 18,668,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The South has not been a region high on handouts. The South was always poorer and further behind than the rest of the USA. Slavery pretty much screwed up the South's development. You had a few wealthy people White people, alot of poor Whites, and then you had the slaves. Slaves were forbidden to know how to read. Poor Whites did not have many resources in terms of getting more educated, and the White elites pretty much looked out for themselves. Poor Whites didn't have to worry about being looked down on for being White. The idea was "I'm poor, but at least I'm not Black".

Education in the South has always lagged behind the rest of the country, even after the Civil War. However, education was treated by many leaders as optional. Schools were not widely available for everybody. More schools became available in the 20th century. Now, as poor as many Whites were in the South, Blacks were even poorer, and basically oppressed in the South. White schools were still better equipped than Black schools.

And something else. Black unemployment has been higher than White unemployment for years, before any "handouts". One thing did drive black unemployment down: World War II. Blacks were leading the USA in out of wedlock births and single parent households BEFORE "handouts" began. In fact, there was a welfare program for indigent mothers. Because of how the program was doled out(the individual states had to dole it out), Black women were often excluded from it. Black women had to go and get jobs as maids and other lowly jobs. Black women were far more likely to be single parents than women of other ethnicities. Black men have historically had a harder time getting jobs than men of any other race. First fired, last hired. Pretty much been the rule for Black men. When the Great Depression hit, Blacks, who were already poorer than most other groups, lost their jobs first, especially men.
There seems to be in the South a deep-seated feeling that labor should be cost-free and powerless. I look at how fiercely unionism was opposed in the South by the people--white people--who needed it most.

They seem to have some kind of underlying idea that "I'm supposed to be screwed."

Old 03-04-2019, 01:54 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,673,375 times
Quote:
I will call this as it is. Some people are bringing this up for one reason and one reason only: The idea is "Black people don't deal with racism" or try to make Black people feel like "I must be crazy to think that there is racism against Blacks",etc. Basically, the old stand by of crazy making.

Exactly. Bias results in temporarily lowering ones IQ. Intelligence is often recognizing patterns. Well....if you exclude some incidents, because they work against your thesis, you get a distorted pattern. These are the type of people who will open up a 300 page novel, at page 200, read the page, then proceed to tell you the who, what, where, how and why without any regards to the first 199 pages. They have to start at the page that fits their biases and or fantasies....and they blurt out there conjecture as if everyone else is too stupid to know that are full of stupid.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There seems to be in the South a deep-seated feeling that labor should be cost-free and powerless. I look at how fiercely unionism was opposed in the South by the people--white people--who needed it most.

They seem to have some kind of underlying idea that "I'm supposed to be screwed."
I see it as someone who lives in the South.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:59 PM

37,937 posts, read 17,796,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Exactly. Bias results in temporarily lowering ones IQ. Intelligence is often recognizing patterns. Well....if you exclude some incidents, because they work against your thesis, you get a distorted pattern. These are the type of people who will open up a 300 page novel, at page 200, read the page, then proceed to tell you the who, what, where, how and why without any regards to the first 199 pages. They have to start at the page that fits their biases and or fantasies....and they blurt out there conjecture as if everyone else is too stupid to know that are full of stupid.
Who made this up and have no proof it applies.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:

People in the South don't like to be told what to do. I remember that from the Civil War era.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
This is why some individuals are not worth talking to. Subjects like this, we don't have conversations, we have spats, we have fights. Some individuals already have a bias and are looking for something to confirm it.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I will call this as it is.
You call things through a blinded agenda.

Quote:
Some people are bringing this up for one reason and one reason only: The idea is "Black people don't deal with racism" or try to make Black people feel like "I must be crazy to think that there is racism against Blacks",etc. Basically, the old stand by of crazy making.
It's about treating others as equals and not enabling the welfare state which encourages destructive, juvenile actions like not working and abandoning their children.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:

It goes back to the slave days. It goes back to that plantation way of doing things. It was entrenched in the Deep South. In Appalachia, not so much. Coal miners were forming unions in places like Kentucky and West Virginia. In the textile mills of the Carolinas, hardly any union labor. This didn't stop some textile mills from closing or going elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies