Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2019, 07:18 AM

18,544 posts, read 7,294,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The reason OJ Simpson got off was because he could afford the kind of legal defense that wealthy white people can afford.
That and the fact the prosecutors were morons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 07:19 AM

28,581 posts, read 18,625,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
There isn't the media coverage. That's why you don't see it. No racism angle to sell, it's less publicity.
As I said before, even when the unjust killing of a white man brought to trial, that white jury will exonerate the police even in the most egregious cases of unjust killing.

Like this case. The police officer walked because she pulled the "I was afraid for my life" card. Incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNKbOiexUL4

Old 03-06-2019, 07:28 AM

18,544 posts, read 7,294,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Why the person got shot is a good thing to look at. These are the questions that need to be asked.

1) What were the circumstances behind the deadly shootings behind police?
2) Who is more likely to get shot to death on the occasion that they offer deadly force?
3) Who is more likely to get shot to death when offering non-deadly force?
4) Who is more likely to get shot to death on the occasion that no force is offered?
5) Was the person interacting with the police as a result of committing a crime?
6) Was the person interacting with the police as a result of someone else calling the police under "suspicious person" circumstances?

There are more questions to ask. Each shooting should be looked at individually. However, even that is kind of murky. In many cases we don't know the circumstances of the shooting. In some cases we do know. Laquon McDonald's case, that was cold-blooded murder. And some officers were trying to cover it up. Stuff like this makes many people angry.
Here are some findings from Roland Fryer's research based on data from police reports in Houston; Austin, Tex.; Dallas; Los Angeles; Orlando, Fla.; Jacksonville, Fla.; and four other counties in Florida:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/u...shootings.html

Quote:
In shootings in these 10 cities involving officers, officers were more likely to fire their weapons without having first been attacked when the suspects were white. Black and white civilians involved in police shootings were equally likely to have been carrying a weapon.
And:
Quote:
But police shootings are only part of the picture. What about situations in which an officer might be expected to fire, but doesn’t?

To answer this, Mr. Fryer focused on one city, Houston. The Police Department there let the researchers look at reports not only for shootings but also for arrests when lethal force might have been justified. Mr. Fryer defined this group to include encounters with suspects the police subsequently charged with serious offenses like attempting to murder an officer, or evading or resisting arrest. He also considered suspects shocked with Tasers.

Mr. Fryer found that in such situations, officers in Houston were about 20 percent less likely to shoot if the suspects were black.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:30 AM

28,581 posts, read 18,625,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
That and the fact the prosecutors were morons.
They were used to indigent and low-income defendants. They were totally out of their league against Simpson's "dream team." Sometimes it was like watching a bad horror movie when you watched Simpson's lawyers leading them like children into clear traps. "Don't go that way!"

Old 03-06-2019, 08:25 AM

72,838 posts, read 62,239,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The reason OJ Simpson got off was because he could afford the kind of legal defense that wealthy white people can afford.

The kind of defense that Robert Blake could afford to get him off after he killed his wife.
I would ignore said person if I were you. I put that guy on my "Ignore" list because of the crap he was coming up with. Felt like my brain cells were being lost.

That is the thing about money. It can buy you alot of things. On the flip side, no amount of money kept Bill Cosby from going to jail.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:46 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,141,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
457 dead as of June. Where are you Liberals? Where are the protests and claims of racism against whites?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...olice-by-race/
Whites getting shot isn't news to libs....

Old 03-06-2019, 09:00 AM

72,838 posts, read 62,239,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Whites getting shot isn't news to libs....
And Blacks getting shot by the police isn't news to anyone either.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:16 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,473,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I would ignore said person if I were you. I put that guy on my "Ignore" list because of the crap he was coming up with. Felt like my brain cells were being lost.

That is the thing about money. It can buy you alot of things. On the flip side, no amount of money kept Bill Cosby from going to jail.
Well, that isnt entirely accurate, more likely that Cosby (being Cosby) probably balked at the amount it would have cost him to 'get out of jail free', and just didnt want to pay up.

I would bet, since his case was so popular and being followed by so many people, the 'pay off' amount for him to get out of it, was ridiculously astronomical and likely would have left him broke, Im positive he was offered a 'pay off' though, thats how the US system is, celebs and wealthy people can ALWAYS buy their way out.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:18 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,180,946 times
More whites shot to death by police than blacks. Where are the protests?

Maybe whites don't care when other whites are shot to death by the police. They aren't getting out there.

You think BLM should get out and protest for whites killed by the cops? Why?

Old 03-06-2019, 11:05 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,052,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's because we know that 99% of the white, black and brown people who are shot and killed by the police deserved it and caused their own death. Blacks seem to have trouble accepting this fact.
Exactly.

Though I would say there are plenty of Caucasians that get the short end of the stick or the overuse of force is...overused.

I think police have become more prone to shoot...but NOT JUST AT BLACKS...at anyone who might be having a mental breakdown or whatever.

The problem is AAs think they are being hunted down or singled out, and that's just flat out nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies