Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 01:17 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I've known several women who had twins. They delivered normally in a regular hospital with out a NICU.
And that's irrelevant. Ask any OB. Multiples are always considered high risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 01:18 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ah, and now we get to the crux of the issue. Because of your assumptions of her life (not included in the article btw) you feel you get to judge her as "unworthy". How christian of you.
Thank you. Back at ya.

Never did I say she was unworthy of anything. Its is not an assumption that being single, with no support from the father(s), and dependent (included in the article) and poor is not a good circumstance to bring children into.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:21 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times
Quote:
I have an idea how these thing go when you live in a rural area, you have a risk delivery and your closest hospital dosen't have the facilities to deal with high risk cases. We know where the hospitals were located, we know where the patients were referred to.

No I cant verify, but three kids at 21, living with mom, no mention of a father. When they bring in complaints about gas money to travel to a hospital further away it invites a look into personal choices and responsibilities. Yes the hospital closing is an inconvenience but if one can not afford even gas money to go to the doctor should they be having additional children.
If she was married, 32 with a decent family income she's still be an expectant mother of twins living hours away from the nearest adequate hospital.

The problem is the lack of medical care in rural areas. The problem may impact some harder than others because of income, but it's still a problem.

These past few years have made me so cynical. I am really beginning to believe that as Americans, we just don't deserve what we have. This thread is ridiculous. The cavalier, selfish nature of some of these responses is too much. We have forgotten what suffering is actually like, to the point we take things for granted. Yeah, let's have babies dying because hospitals can't turn a profit! Let's have people maimed and hurt because they live too far from a profit center. Stupid people! They deserve to die! How can we ever expect to do anything about it, I mean because no other place in the world has figured it out amirite? Jesus.

Last edited by Tinawina; 07-24-2018 at 01:37 PM..

Quote:
Thank you. Back at ya.

Never did I say she was unworthy of anything. Its is not an assumption that being single, with no support from the father(s), and dependent (included in the article) and poor is not a good circumstance to bring children into.
None of which has anything to do with the dearth of medical facilities for wide swaths of the country. It doesn't just involve OB patients. Accessibility of care can be an issue for people with a variety of health conditions.

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Thank you. Back at ya.

My mistake you just implied it.

And besides, even if her circumstances are less than ideal, if anything that underscores how important a safe and healthy start for her twins is.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:24 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Where do you get the other hospitals didnt have OB. Just the first one she went to which had been closed for 4 years. so why did she go to there.

When Twin Rivers closed the OB patients were referred to Poplar Bluff (from several newspaper articles) which has OB services. She was referred to St. Francis by staff at Hayti, Mo. hospital while in labor. We dont know the specifics of pregnancy between her and her physician and it was not known she would need NICU.
According to me her Dr. would have referred her to ST. Francis if he determined she was high risk instead of Poplar Bluff. Kennett still had a functioning ER with ambulance service. So why did she not go to Kennett and go by ambulance straight to St. Frances instead of driving to Hayti waiting for an ambulance to come from Kennett to take her to Cape Girardeau?
\.
Whoa, according to you! Well, that is gospel.

Except that she was carrying twins and as the article mentioned she had early contractions. That makes her high risk, so she would be referred to a hospital with a NICU.

And whether she went to her local hospital or not, she still would have been sent to deliver 100 miles from her home. WHICH WAS THE ORIGINAL POINT.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
And that's irrelevant. Ask any OB. Multiples are always considered high risk.
It is relevant. If she had not gone into premature labor she most likely could have delivered at Poplar Bluff, she probably could have delivered there and then gone onto St. Frances. Something like this is not specific to twins, pregnancies/deliveries are considered high risk for many reasons. Twins may be "classified" high risk pregnancies but that generally means extra care and consideration and a potential for complications.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:27 PM

25,725 posts, read 18,797,332 times
That's what midwives are for.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
It is relevant. If she had not gone into premature labor she most likely could have delivered at Poplar Bluff, she probably could have delivered there and then gone onto St. Frances. Something like this is not specific to twins, pregnancies/deliveries are considered high risk for many reasons. Twins may be "classified" high risk pregnancies but that generally means extra care and consideration and a potential for complications.
What exactly are you arguing here? Yeah, I'm very aware of how high risk pregnancies work, and I'm not just talking off the results of a Google search. I actually do know more than the average bear about this issue. Multiples are considered high risk for good reason, including the potential for preterm labor, which is exactly what happened. Quality and continuity of care is a tremendous problem for people living far from adequate medical facilities. This woman's age, marital status, insurance, and housing situation are not really the point of the discussion. A person of greater means could just have easily found themselves in the same position.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
If she was married, 35 with a decent family income she's still be an expectant mother of twins living hours away from the nearest adequate hospital.

The problem is the lack of medical care in rual areas. The problem may impact some harder than others because of income, but it's still a problem.

These past few years have made me so cynical. I are really beginning to believe that as Americans, we just don't deserve what we have. This thread is ridiculous. The cavalier, selfish nature of some of these responses is too much. We have forgotten what suffering is actually like, to the point we take things for granted. Yeah, let's have babies dying because hospitals can't turn a profit! Let's have people maimed and hurt because they live too far from a profit center. Stupid people! They deserve to die! How can we ever expect to do anything about it, I mean because no other place in the world has figured it out amirite? Jesus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
None of which has anything to do with the dearth of medical facilities for wide swaths of the country. It doesn't just involve OB patients. Accessibility of care can be an issue for people with a variety of health conditions.
Your right the woman's financial situation has nothing to do with hospital closures and consolidations. My original point was driving 30, 50 miles to a hospital is not uncommon or an issue in rural areas. Even 100 miles for specialized treatments. It is not necessary to have state of the art hospitals in every Podunk rural town so everyone is 5 minutes from it. Its not economically feasible. For folks in rural areas like myself, we choose to live in these areas knowing many services are going to be a good drive away, its a trade off. If medical services are of importance we move closer to where those facilities are or we make some sort of arrangements.

People act as though it is such a big deal to drive 30-50 miles to a well equipped medical facility but it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies