Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 07:24 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Here is an idea.
Abolish welfare handouts and pay people to learn new skills and knowledge.
Knowledge is the foundation of wealth.
No person can be made poorer for having more skills.
Bureaucrats and politicians have no idea what skills are needed. Those who want an education can secure it on their own through savings, loans, scholarships, etc. The guv needs to stay out of education, its a big reason why its such a rip off now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 08:23 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Chicago alderman Ameya Pawar recently proposed legislation that would provide 1,000 families with a $500 monthly stipend -- no questions asked.
1000 families is "universal"? I trust these will be a representative breakdown of all financial incomes, all demographics, all employment situations.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:59 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Nice.. in my city, i hope they wont pass this. And why should i go to work when i too could stay home and collect $500 for free. Not have to account for it, do whatever i want. you know it will go for stupid stuff.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:10 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
1000 families is "universal"? I trust these will be a representative breakdown of all financial incomes, all demographics, all employment situations.
I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:32 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
Repulsive bill. Tired of welfare programs
Why Welfare Doesn’t Work: And What We Should Do Instead

"We must redesign this entire system."

Old 07-17-2018, 10:43 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
So we have adults being treated like children being put on allowances only with having no chores to do.
I'm sorry but look at the public assistance program. You have many who don't give a rats ass about anything and have zero work ethic who can at least live doing nothing. They aren't hirable because they can't function in the work place and many don't want to do anything but goof around. And many are illegal immigrants or immigrants who ignored the system and are given the okay to stay. To them its like winning the lottery.
Way back when, these people would either work or starve but they would contribute and in a generations time would become upwardly mobile. They weren't a burden to society and didn't remain one. Now you'll have a whole class and generation of people who are going to be considered zoo animals who must be tended and cared for but will never be allowed to improve their standard of living.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
So we have adults being treated like children being put on allowances only with having no chores to do.
I'm sorry but look at the public assistance program. You have many who don't give a rats ass about anything and have zero work ethic who can at least live doing nothing. They aren't hirable because they can't function in the work place and many don't want to do anything but goof around. And many are illegal immigrants or immigrants who ignored the system and are given the okay to stay. To them its like winning the lottery.
Way back when, these people would either work or starve but they would contribute and in a generations time would become upwardly mobile. They weren't a burden to society and didn't remain one. Now you'll have a whole class and generation of people who are going to be considered zoo animals who must be tended and cared for but will never be allowed to improve their standard of living.
Interview: Presidential campaign brings ‘new crowds’ to basic income

“Other Democrats in my opinion are not sophisticated enough to understand the impact a basic income would have in the economy… They do not realize that we would be channeling money back into our economy through the hands and the decisions of our citizens.” ~ Andrew Yang ~

United States: Andrew Yang is running for President in 2020 on the platform of Universal Basic Income
Quote:
Even though Venture for America was highly successful, “people were clapping us on the back, congratulating us on our accomplishments,” but he thought: “What are you congratulating us for? The problems are just getting worse.” He realized that there is too much “human and financial capital flowing to just a handful of places doing things that are speeding the machine up rather than fixing what is going wrong.” Yang realized that technology was hitting the economic fabric of the country and “eliminating livelihoods for hundreds, thousands of the most vulnerable Americans.” [my emphasis]

Old 07-17-2018, 10:59 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Chicago alderman Ameya Pawar recently proposed legislation that would provide 1,000 families with a $500 monthly stipend -- no questions asked. The bill already has the backing of the majority of city lawmakers, and Pawar hopes to soon work with Mayor Rahm Emanuel to implement the pilot program, The Intercept reported.

“Nearly 70 percent of Americans don’t have $1,000 in the bank for an emergency,” Pawar told the outlet. “UBI could be an incredible benefit for people who are working and are having a tough time making ends meet or putting food on the table at the end of the month.”

In addition to the $500, the bill would adjust the Earned Income Tax Credit program to allow the families to put their tax credit toward their monthly mortgage payment, according to the outlet.
Sounds like an aid program for the poor. What does this have to do with "universal" basic income?

Old 07-17-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Sounds like an aid program for the poor. What does this have to do with "universal" basic income?
I'm thinking its a 'pilot' program, much like or the same as they rolled out in Canada.

btw: not sure how that's going for Canada, yet. It sounded promising with some people taking their basic income and returning to college.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 07-17-2018 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: added l

Old 07-18-2018, 03:21 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Chicago rather talks about handing out free money then doing anything about people safety.

The city where gun laws are the most strict, has the highes killings.

Liberals are at wits end and fast tracking on making Chicago even worse.

Replace the mayor for a fiscal conservative and the city will absolutely be better then ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies