Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 09:57 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
What is that good reason?
Control over the people. As technology grows and progresses, naturally we will reach a point when it starts to effect Govts ability to exert its authority, in other words, its 'too good' for the general public.

This is kind of a strange example, but I only use it because I saw a piece on a news show recently that the Chinese are making strides in creating a real working model, thru bending light that the naked eye can detect...the invisibility cloak...think about the repercussions if anyone can order one of these online, it would be a nightmare scenario for law enforcement! This would definitely effect Govts ability to exert its authority!

Old 07-18-2018, 10:52 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I think they might go with in order to receive UBI you must be sterilized.

They should drug test welfare recipients now and if they test positive for "dangerous drugs" like Meth, Crack or Heroine they should be sterilized.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:55 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
They should drug test welfare recipients now and if they test positive for "dangerous drugs" like Meth, Crack or Heroine they should be sterilized.
1940s Germany called..

Old 07-18-2018, 10:58 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
*sigh
what kind of drugs do you give your horse? Because that mf is high AF..

You don't get to steal my jokes.

Call'em what you want but we don't need them if the robots are taking our jobs.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Control over the people. As technology grows and progresses, naturally we will reach a point when it starts to effect Govts ability to exert its authority, in other words, its 'too good' for the general public.

This is kind of a strange example, but I only use it because I saw a piece on a news show recently that the Chinese are making strides in creating a real working model, thru bending light that the naked eye can detect...the invisibility cloak...think about the repercussions if anyone can order one of these online, it would be a nightmare scenario for law enforcement! This would definitely effect Govts ability to exert its authority!

There are too many different countries competing for technology. And now with corporations like Google they have deep pockets probably more than most countries have to do whatever research they want. New developments are happening all the time and I would think much faster than they were before. Even if the US tried to stop some parts of technology it would not change anything.

I think its more that we have all the comforts of society that we need. Electricity, transportation, communications, etc. The future is improving these things not creating new categories of things.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
1940s Germany called..

Much more humane to have meth and heroine addicts raising kids? Seriously you are taking the side of drug addicts over their kids?

It would not be forced they would have a choice. You want to do heroine and you want welfare you are not having more kids. If you don't want to do that then no welfare.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:46 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Since the 70’s more jobs have been eliminated by technology substitution and industrial robotics than have been offshored. Rarely does one hear a politician talk about this. Instead, it’s easier to blame the other party, the wealthy, the poor, the schools and more.

Inevitably standards of living will decline for many, no matter what politicians/ governments do or not.

It a global situation.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:08 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
That, and someone has to sell the machines, someone has to run the companies that build and sell the machines, lawyers need to review what the machines do, accountants need to track the sales, marketers and advertisers need to promote the machines, repair men have to fix the machines, innovators have to figure out what comes next for the machines, writers need to document what the machines do and how to operate them, financial folks need to figure out the costs and how to price the machines....the list goes on and on, machines aren't a pending apocalypse, but rather a good scare tactic for politicians to try and scare you into voting for them.
^ are vulnerable functions.

The disconnect between increased productivity and human labor is decades old.

Machines increasingly self diagnose and can pinpoint necessary corrective action.

Lawyers can use technology to analyze contracts, identify case law and recommend action.

Invoices can be scanned, evaluated and paid with minimal human intervention.

Software creates the minimally necessary documentation. Does your powerful phone come with an instruction manual? Some functions are intuitive. Some functions are found by fiddling around. Online Crowd troubleshooting/ resolution is replacing documentation.

Technology and data mining are used to determine prices.

Artificial Intelligence is far from mature. We can’t imagine what it will one day be capable of, going forward.

A small percentage of any population are true innovators.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:34 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
That, and someone has to sell the machines, someone has to run the companies that build and sell the machines, lawyers need to review what the machines do, accountants need to track the sales, marketers and advertisers need to promote the machines, repair men have to fix the machines, innovators have to figure out what comes next for the machines, writers need to document what the machines do and how to operate them, financial folks need to figure out the costs and how to price the machines....the list goes on and on, machines aren't a pending apocalypse, but rather a good scare tactic for politicians to try and scare you into voting for them.
Only 20% of the population will ever be smart enough to do those jobs.

The bottom 80% will be in low wage service jobs if they can find a job at all. A significant portion will turn to drugs, homelessness, and possibly suicide. The process is already well underway.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:43 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
No, I think you fundamentally misunderstand my point that we have had innovation for 1000s of years. Growing pains are tough, but we always get through them. The idea of AI and Automation are no more scary than other instances of innovation in the past. In fact we have so much more knowledge and technology today that I'd argue we are even more well suited to deal with it than in the past, and without some gimmick of UBI which will be a total disaster.
If you had done a little research and possibly even just watched the video the OP posted you would see that this is different from the Industrial revolution in many ways. However if you aren't willing to do at least do the legwork and look at why UBI is cropping up I don't think there can be a discussion. I would also like to point out that Milton Friedman a famous free market economist advocated for a UBI so this isn't a left or right issue its a technology issue.

Last edited by BornintheSprings; 07-18-2018 at 02:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies