Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 11:01 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
There are plenty of alternatives to coal and in fact, natural gas has already displaced coal. Solar and wind are great alternatives and in my area, hydro is a great source. Coal has already been replaced! The problem is, the coal voters. Trump sees them as an easy alliance since those coal miners refused the retraining Obama set up for them. They didn't want to be retrained, they wanted to be coal miners and also make the country pay for their black lung disease (almost 10% of the West Virginia population is on Disability).

Trump doesn't care about the logic, so he is trying to force power grids to buy coal even though coal is more expensive. What's more, there's not much coal left in Appalachia, but that's another topic. What coal companies like Murray want, is for them to be able to pollute more and force the government to buy it. Trump's EPA giving them more leeway to pollute is in keeping with all things Trump and that's fine as long as the polluting stays in Trump country and Trump country voters pay to clean up the mess later. I don't think blue state voters should have to pay a penny when they never voted for the polluting Trump is allowing to happen.

There are 80 coal fired plants in Pennsylvania.

Why don't you tell the citizens there the Democrats are going to close them all, so that they can enjoy power produced by these "alternatives". Oh and that they to pay the costs of doing so too.

I love that "logic".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 11:04 AM

36,493 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Gee, whatever can be done? Oh, here's a thought: Force companies to operate in a responsible manner and avoid the post-fact cleanup.
Generally, companies are acting responsibility until an unforeseen disaster happens and then protocol is changed and safer more environmental sound protocols are put in place. We learn through our mistakes.
You act as though state do not want to avoid spills or dumping contaminants into their own waterways, or to monitor effluents.
The states were following Federal EPA regulations when the coal ash waste spills occurred.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I've noticed you go all wild about the world coming to end but, NEVER go into DETAIL about EACH regulation that is being change, what good it did and what bad will happen of it is eliminated.

You are the typical "the world is going to come to and end IF (fill in the blanks) happens.

NO details just all hot air!
Because they have no idea the details or even generalities of the regulations in question or have ever dealt with any state or federal regulations or permitting. If Trump is associated with it, it must be bad, the sky will fall and we all will die. Well not all, only those in red states.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:53 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Generally, companies are acting responsibility until an unforeseen disaster happens and then protocol is changed and safer more environmental sound protocols are put in place. We learn through our mistakes.
You act as though state do not want to avoid spills or dumping contaminants into their own waterways, or to monitor effluents.
The states were following Federal EPA regulations when the coal ash waste spills occurred.
Laws and rules were in place. Unfortunately no one was enforcing them on either side of the equation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_E...chemical_spill

People, owners, inspectors, etc should have went to prison.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:01 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
There are 80 coal fired plants in Pennsylvania.

Why don't you tell the citizens there the Democrats are going to close them all, so that they can enjoy power produced by these "alternatives". Oh and that they to pay the costs of doing so too.

I love that "logic".
Pennsylvania is the center of the natural gas fracking industry and coal plants are converting as quick as it is feasible. I grew up here in Western Pa. and I can assure you that coal isn`t making a comeback. Met coal is being mined on the other side of the state for shipping to Chinese steel mills. Gas is the "alternative" that will carry us through until wind and solar take over.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:03 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Where not to bury coal waste. The first PPG glassmaking plant is soon to close although not solely because of the underground fire. We have these kind of events once in a while.
https://triblive.com/local/valleynew...ot-spot-hazard

Old 07-23-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Laws and rules were in place. Unfortunately no one was enforcing them on either side of the equation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_E...chemical_spill

People, owners, inspectors, etc should have went to prison.
And you have that also. You can have all the federal and state over site in the world but if no one is enforcing inspections these things happen.
And when you have too many regulatory agencies involved agencies may become lax in their own inspections because they are relying on the inspections of the other agency(s).

Old 07-23-2018, 12:27 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Pennsylvania is the center of the natural gas fracking industry and coal plants are converting as quick as it is feasible. I grew up here in Western Pa. and I can assure you that coal isn`t making a comeback. Met coal is being mined on the other side of the state for shipping to Chinese steel mills. Gas is the "alternative" that will carry us through until wind and solar take over.

Wind & solar? GTFOH. Wind & solar are not doing anything for base load energy demands. The technology doesn't exist.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:43 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Spot on.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:49 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
In theory, I agree with you, and it'd be ideal to just let the states decide for themselves, but pollution and contamination are unique in that they aren't contained by discrete state boundaries, so neighboring states who may not consent to it may be affected as well.
this is a key point that escapes certain posters here.

Quote:
I'm relieved to find that most coal fired power plants are in the Eastern half of the U.S. and predominantly in Trump country, so at least there's that.
Quote:
Make Trump Country gag again. Let them do it to themselves. They voted for this, let them have it.
Quote:
So North Carolina wants Republicans so they can have coal waste? Let them have all the coal waste they can choke on. Why should Democrats care about the environment in red states if the states themselves don’t care? Maybe someday they can visit western states and see what there’s could have been. I’m fine with red states poisoning their environment as long as they stay out of mine.
Quote:
I'm glad Trump country is immune to coal ash and pollution in general. They should not expect federal tax dollars to clean up the pollution later, especially since they voted for the pollution by electing representatives that support it.
Quote:
Why would I want to travel to polluted places? If red states want to pollute their environment, I say go ahead, just don't ask for my tax dollars to clean it up later. If they break it, they can pay to fix it.
Quote:
These ridiculous red states poisoning their own environment are free to do it, have at it. But don't expect others to have a spec of sympathy for them, they deserve to live in the filth they voted for and created.
Quote:
Trump supporters want the freedom to pollute their own states; good. Just don't expect the rest of the country to pay for the cleanup and get used to living in and drinking the filth.
I'm looking forward to some huge environmental disaster becomes Trump's Katrina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies