Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 11:08 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Otherwise, who's to stop all those Russians from voting?
I don't have a problem with consistent ID requirements. Unfortunately it has been proven that some states are using it to deny voting to certain groups.

They purposefully make the ID requriements to difficult for many in their communities to be able to get the ID.

Sure -- this will slowly disappear as e have more and more formal records of birth but for many -- especially older Black Americans -- there was not a great system of recording births. When these folks go to get their ID they are refused because their may be a subtle difference in the spelling of the name or the county/state doesn't recognize the only proof of birth.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.aea0ab6741e5

I think that because these voter ID laws in some states unfairly target certain groups, it has become a big issue.

Some allowance has to be made for these folks.....(yes I do think there has to be an age thing -- you can't be 20 years old and claim no formal birth certificate.....).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 01:33 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I don't have a problem with consistent ID requirements. Unfortunately it has been proven that some states are using it to deny voting to certain groups.

They purposefully make the ID requriements to difficult for many in their communities to be able to get the ID.

Sure -- this will slowly disappear as e have more and more formal records of birth but for many -- especially older Black Americans -- there was not a great system of recording births. When these folks go to get their ID they are refused because their may be a subtle difference in the spelling of the name or the county/state doesn't recognize the only proof of birth.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.aea0ab6741e5

I think that because these voter ID laws in some states unfairly target certain groups, it has become a big issue.

Some allowance has to be made for these folks.....(yes I do think there has to be an age thing -- you can't be 20 years old and claim no formal birth certificate.....).
As long as there is a good effort made to get low-income voters ID, I have no problem with it. Yet, that doesn't seem to be happening here or in many other conservative states.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:44 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
They won’t support voter ID because they know that the ones that will vote fraudulently are likely Democratic voters.

Those are undocumented democrats.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:50 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,800,380 times
I don't have a problem with everyone having a form of voter ID.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:51 PM

812 posts, read 736,553 times
I consider myself an Independent and I would never be caught dead calling myself a member of either corrupt party. On some issues I lean left, on other I lean right. This is my two cents.

I would be fine with requiring ID to vote, with several stipulations. First off, there needs to be a free form of government issued ID that is available to the lowest income individuals. Second, while not totally related to the ID proposal itself, stop having major elections on Tuesdays. Hold them on the first Monday of November and make Election Day a national holiday so that more people have the ability to go out and vote. How much of a democracy do we really have when 2/3rds of our eligible population does not vote in a presidential election? Even less for midterms and gubernatorial races?

Old 07-18-2018, 06:55 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I do support voter ID led by Democrats; because - then I can at least be confident they will do everything to make sure low-income urban and rural voters have a valid ID.

After re-reading this, it sounds vary partisan - but try living in a red state and you'll see the way things work.

Approximately 90% of eligible voters already have an ID, that narrows even further for people that actually vote.

Every state that has passed this law offers a free ID if you need it to vote. For the low income people who are now paying for an ID this law is a benefit because they will now get it for free. For those that do not have ID there is a very small minority that will find it difficult because of the birth certificate requirement. This is federal law to prevent ID fraud.

Before the PA law was struck down by a state court because our spineless Governor who was seeking reelection decided not pursue it they did have way to accommodate these people. They were issuing a voting only ID that had all the same security features of regular ID, the documentation for this was minimal at best. PA uses facial recognition, the possibility of obtaining a fraudulent ID is still possible however you will only do it once and will preclude yourself from obtaining a legitimate one.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:05 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

The birth certificate requirements for obtaining an ID is federal law. This is to prevent people from obtaining fraudulent ID's, what is the point of requiring ID if you can get it out of a cracker jack box?

That said what PA was going to do was an equitable solution because there were safeguards in place to to prevent fraudulent ID's, keep in mind you were not going to use that ID for getting on a plane, entering a federal facility where one was required etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies