Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 06:33 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,516,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I don't know anything about Casey. Please provide what HE has done during the off season to help resolve the accusations issue he is protesting about.
Sometimes the best way to help a cause is to bring awareness to it. Like giving an interview to CNN or some such. By talking about it.

My first impulses were to throw shade at you for asking this question. I know a lot of NFL players do things in their own community to help better things for people. Not all of them want to do it where it becomes a thing. Some donate money and time without asking a spotlight to shine on the. Others start their own charities.

Then I thought I'd tell you to Google his name if you really want to know. Then I thought, well, hell, I'll just Google him myself since I don't know much about him. Turns out he was nominated by the Titans as the Walter Payton Man of the Year. That award is given to the good guys in the NFL who do good things. I believe JJ Watt won it last year for all the money he helped raise for hurricane relief.

Jurrell Casey and his wife also started a charity that helps people called the Casey Fund. I found this out by typing his name into a Google search which you could have done as well.

Another story found on that web search shows him helping raise money for Big Brothers Big Sisters.

As far as resolving the accusations you mention, that's what his protest is trying to do. Has he done anything else? Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps you can contact him though and explain what he may could do better.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:36 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"But the league seems OK with that, so I guess everyone will be happy", EXCEPT MANY of the FANS and THAT is what COUNTS.

I cancelled my NFL package as has MANY others. Many of my friends quit watching altogether and will NOT return.

Local VFW's and American Legion's are voting to NOT show NFL football any more in their clubs.

The NFL reacted to what the fans were doing.

If the fans continue to protest the protests, advertisers will respond, and I think the NFL will do MORE to regain the fans.

"Money TALKS, B.S. walks", as they say!
NFL is wealthier than ever and will get even richer. This nation is football crazy, and that ain’t changing.

The players can protest til the cows come home...it ain’t gonna change that fact.

NFL Draft ratings were through the stratosphere. If the VFW and Legion halls don’t want to watch football because they’re some old bitter crybaby vets, no one cares. They can go back to serving spaghetti dinners and doing clam bakes. Shrug.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...raft-ever/amp/

Old 07-19-2018, 06:36 AM

58,996 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Respectively kneeling is not an extremist view. I'd much rather the president care about more important matters. I believe he is so petty and vindictive that this is about the NFL winning over the USFL lawsut in the 80s than patriotism.
"Respectively kneeling is not an extremist view."

That is NOT what they are doing.

They are NOT kneeling to respect our flag and our country.

They ARE kneeling in PROTEST of a persevered wrongdoing by LOCAL POLICE departments.

What have ANY of them done during the off season to address he issue?

Have they gone to these Police Dept and Mayors and TALKED with the people in charge to air their grievances?

If the had it would have been all over the news. I haven't heard a word, have you?

To me it is all grandstanding.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:37 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,082,970 times
"Despite Trump's orders." It's hilarious that Trump thinks he can tell private citizens that work for a private business what to do.

I know you'd like to think you're king, Trump. But you're not.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Their kneeling doesn't affect my life one bit so I will continue to watch.

Do you think this surprises anyone?

Old 07-19-2018, 06:40 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Jurrell Casey plans to protest on field during anthem - NFL.com

"Tennessee Titans defensive end Jurrell Casey says he plans to protest social injustice on the field during the national anthem before games this season and "take my fine."

"I'm going to take a fine this year, why not?" Casey told CNN at an NFL promotional event in London. "I'm going to protest during the flag. That's what I'm going to say now.

"... It is what it is, I ain't going to let them stop me from doing what I want to do. If they want to have these battles between players and organizations, this is the way it's going to be."

The Titans have no comment on Casey's remarks.

The NFL approved a new national anthem policy in May requiring players and league personnel on the sideline to stand. Players and personnel also have the option to remain in the locker room if they choose not to stand during the anthem."

I got $20 on his legs are broken by the 2nd game, if he even plays.

11,404 posts, read 4,082,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I got $20 on his legs are broken by the 2nd game, if he even plays.

Do you have PayPal?

It's fun proving you wrong all the time, but I'd love to take your money as well.

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
The funny thing is you mention low ratings for the NFL, but not for NASCAR. NASCAR is in trouble. Just an observation that I'm not sure how much lower ratings have t do with the anthem one way or the other.
The NFL's ratings decline isn't all just due to kneeling. Some of it is the concussion issue. For Monday Night Football, it was the cord cutting that has plagued ESPN for a few years now. Some of it was the quality of matches and lack of flex scheduling used during the season. The NFL saw ratings drop in 2016 and again in 2017.
Quote:
NBC’s Sunday Night Football
2017: 18.175 million
2016: 20.323 million
2015: 22.522 million

ESPN’s Monday Night Football
2017: 10.757 million
2016: 11.390 million
2015: 12.896 million

Thursday Night Football (NBC/CBS/NFL Network)
2017: 10.937 million
2016: 12.438 million
2015: 12.425 million
The strongest reason might not be the kneeling though,but rather the quality of play and lack of flex scheduling. Last year several ratings draws namely the Cowboys and Giants had dog seasons. Also consider the Sunday Night Football games until week 11, only had a 6% drop. To get to the overall nearly 10%, it was due to bad ratings for bad games in weeks 12-17. There were quite a few games that were two possession leads as well, which may or may not be close games. If I remember correctly, the week 17 game wasn't even a division title game last year which is an instant ratings boon due to the built-in storyline. This I can't blame on the NFL or the networks because game to game and week to week you can have different dynamics due to injuries, scouting reports, weather, field conditions, etc.

Safe to say for the NFL, last year was a comedy of errors that conservatives who attacked the players for kneeling used for their advantage. The fact is they weren't an isolated issue. If you want to read more, I got a lot of information from a Sports Illustrated article. https://www.si.com/tech-media/2018/0...nbc-network-tv

The issue with NASCAR's ratings is similar. In the past two years, two stars retired due to concussions: Carl Edwards and Dale Earnhardt Jr. Similarly Jeff Gordon has also retired. Then to me, a race fan there was an issue of rule changes. In 2013, apparently the fans and sports writers who pick and choose which races they watch (IE: The sexier regular season races like the two Daytonas, the spring Talladega and the two Bristol races) complained about David Ragan not being in the Chase despite being a top 25 if not top 30 driver at best in most other races. They changed the Chase due to this putting winners first (so lesser quality drivers would be in if they win and stay in the top 30) and a few dog years of playoff groups where the title race wasn't as close for the last race to making it a traditional playoffs with three 3 round races, 3 quarterfinals, 3 semi-finals and one final race. It don't translate all that well IMHO. Also there is no point advantage for being consistent and the points leader, except if you consistently win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
NASCAR sucks now because of all of the rules, regulations and constant flags, not to mention everyone knows now that the races are rigged. Hard to invest in a sport when the sportsmanship was tossed aside in favor of greed.
Yeah NASCAR is crazy. If I am not mistaken, they now do stages where drivers earn a point as oppose to leading a lap or most laps lead. I don't know if the flags are an issue because sometimes caution flags breed more caution flags due to the restarts. What I will say is NASCAR sometimes call too many "debris" cautions and water bottle cautions (though if I am not mistaken, this was done away with.) I think for this year, there is now a 10 minute clock behind the wall to get a car and driver back on the track. I don't agree with this. I hope the France family divest themselves from NASCAR with the proposed selling of the sanctioning body so we can get ideas from the race fans and not "race fans." As stated in the NFL comments, the nature of sports is some games/races will be close while others are blow outs.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:41 AM

11,340 posts, read 16,695,644 times
Quote:
You're the one upset that an American is using his right to free speech.
Free speech is on your time. Not the owner of a business.

Tell me, how would your boss react if you pulled something like this at a meeting?

Old 07-19-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So when did kneeling due to race relations and cops who beat up African-Americans more so than whites, being racist? Can you answer that for me? It sounds like hyperbole to me. I get it, you don't agree and it might lead to bigotry, but not racism. Also I don't see it as intolerant, that was Trump calling them sons of ******* and wanting their jobs just because they dare disagree with his perverted views on "law and order."

" and cops who beat up African-Americans more so than whites, being racist?" Can you PROVE that for me?

If you are going to make a claim BACK IT UP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies