Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 03:06 PM

830 posts, read 482,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Should not you have waited for such an article from someone who actually graduated? I mean....a USC undergrad is hardly "credentials"...lol. However, I imaging it would be much harder to find such garbage reasoning from someone who actually had some credentials.
Ignoring the fact that you just committed an argument from authority fallacy:

Check out the Glenn Loury podcast, especially the ones where he speaks with John McWhorter. Do being the Merton P. Stoltz Professor of the Social Sciences and Professor of Economics at Brown University and Associate Professor of English and Comparative Literature at Columbia University count as credentials?

What about Thomas Chatterton Williams?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 01:22 PM

92,401 posts, read 122,662,773 times
From the Federal Reserve: https://www.frbsf.org/economic-resea...hite-wage-gap/

Old 08-13-2018, 04:53 PM

2,350 posts, read 1,414,408 times
There's a lot wrong with the premise of this thread. The title mentions "wealth gap", but the article talks more about income than anything else. Also, Thomas Sowell is wrong, wrong, wrong. The slave holders in the south were the wealthiest individuals in the US back then. That is why you always see these big plantations littered throughout the south. The average person in the North couldn't come close to the kind of wealth that was amassed in the South. What folks like Sowell like to do is pull the o-ke-doke on people, soothing white folks. There was more wealth in the North overall due to population and industry. Yet the wealthiest individuals and families lived in the South. (Even the overall economies of the North and South weren't that far apart in terms of numbers) Also, ALSOOOOOOO, part of the North's economy involved slavery. This includes cotton textile industry and insurance companies. Most of the world's cotton was produced by US slavery. So yeah, slaves built the wealth of this nation.

All that said, what is this thread about? Wealth or income? Truly both areas have been majorly impacted by slavery and Jim Crow. Stop trying to dismiss this history. You might as well say black people descendants of slaves don't exist in this nation. Just say it.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:24 PM

139 posts, read 107,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
There's a lot wrong with the premise of this thread. The title mentions "wealth gap", but the article talks more about income than anything else. Also, Thomas Sowell is wrong, wrong, wrong. The slave holders in the south were the wealthiest individuals in the US back then. That is why you always see these big plantations littered throughout the south. The average person in the North couldn't come close to the kind of wealth that was amassed in the South. What folks like Sowell like to do is pull the o-ke-doke on people, soothing white folks. There was more wealth in the North overall due to population and industry. Yet the wealthiest individuals and families lived in the South. (Even the overall economies of the North and South weren't that far apart in terms of numbers) Also, ALSOOOOOOO, part of the North's economy involved slavery. This includes cotton textile industry and insurance companies. Most of the world's cotton was produced by US slavery. So yeah, slaves built the wealth of this nation.

All that said, what is this thread about? Wealth or income? Truly both areas have been majorly impacted by slavery and Jim Crow. Stop trying to dismiss this history. You might as well say black people descendants of slaves don't exist in this nation. Just say it.
No-there’s no one descended from slavery here.
Everything has been totally equal.
When my great-great-great-great grandfather got off the boat, there was nothing holding him back.
I mean nothing except chains. But we talk about those way too much. I mean the chains thing has just been talked to death. Because I mean besides the chains there was really nothing holding him back!
Except malnutrition and severe trauma, from being literally chained to another human being for months, forced to lay in his own excrement and have another person’s excrement bathe his head.
I mean besides that, he could get any job he wanted.
On a plantation, I mean, but at least he knew the value of hard work!
He just had to work hard and then his master would reward him.
With food.
No money. I mean, he didn’t need that.
He just needed threadbare clothing. He was REALLY grateful, as he should have been.

And then his grandson got to be free! Hooray.
Then there was definitely nothing holding anyone back.
He could start a business, or become a doctor-
um, yeah I guess those weren’t really great ideas since he needed money.

Well, he could at least work really hard farming and now he would get money to do those other things.
Oh wait, sharecropping keeps you continually in debt to the landowner.
Oh well.

Well, HIS son ( the grandson’s son) would be able to make plenty of money. He would go to school and learn.
To the very best black school. And he did!

He did so well that he left the south. He took his HBCU degree and he moved up north and he bought a really nice house! See, there was nothing holding him back at all.
He just had to work hard and pull his pants up, thats all. He even worked so hard and got so much money that he didn’t even need a mortgage! Forget redlining, he paid cash.

(Unfortunately,as soon as he and some other black folks moved into the neighborhood, 80% of the neighborhood moved away. As the desire of the majority of the population to live in the neighborhood dwindled, home values plummeted ).

But I mean, you can’t blame white people for not wanting to live around Black attorneys and doctors. I mean, what if their daughters wanted to marry or date the black sons? I mean that just wouldn’t have been OK. It wasnt racist or anything. Just the way it was.

But anyway, this all just goes to show, his hard work paid off and by the time he died he had a house worth $65,000. No one could keep him down! I mean, after funeral and end-of-life medical bills were paid, he only had $40,000 to pass along to his own son, but that has nothing to do with racism.
I mean it’s not as if White people of the same generation were passing along houses worth triple and quadruple the value simply because of racism. THAT would be a crazy theory.

Anyway, but none of this explains the wealth gap today, right? I mean, his son got a nice $40,000 inheritance in 1980. Pretty sweet! And, I mean from then on there was REALLY nothing holding his son back.
No way. By then his son had even been able to go to a predominately white college. Had been hired into a great job. Climbed the corporate ladder. I mean, sure, it always seemed like he continually got passed over for the VP position— but it would be crazy to think that race had anything to do with that. He had a nice job and he should be happy! Who cares if, over the course of his career, he might’ve made $500,000 less than an equivalent white man. I mean isn’t a good career enough to be happy? I mean what would he have done with that $500,000 anyway, besides pass it onto his children and help close the wealth gap?

Anyway. This is just too crazy to be talking about. No country as great as the United States, no country with our egalitarian history, would ever tolerate ongoing racism in the corporate world. That is just too ridiculous.
Racism has NOTHING to do with the wealth gap. Lol. Liberal idiots, they’re just not critical thinkers. Every truly smart person knows that the reason for the wealth gap is rap music.

and maybe Hillary Clinton? (we hate her almost as much as we hate black people.)

Last edited by hellorebecca; 08-15-2018 at 12:36 PM..

Old 08-15-2018, 12:36 PM

8,822 posts, read 4,488,158 times
$40k inheritance in 1980? Sounds good to me! Where do I sign up? I've never inherited a dime, and have told my son that he can expect the same.

Actually, the above post illustrates precisely what holds back many POC - still blaming the evil white man (never the white woman, btw....) which gives them an excuse for their own failures. Sad, really. Lots of wasted talent.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:42 PM

139 posts, read 107,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
$40k inheritance in 1980? Sounds good to me! Where do I sign up? I've never inherited a dime, and have told my son that he can expect the same.

Actually, the above post illustrates precisely what holds back POC - still blaming the evil white man (never the white woman, btw....) which gives them an excuse for their own failures. Sad, really. Lot's of wasted talent.
Good for you. Like it or not, the vast majority of people in this country disagree with you—most people do leave their earnings to their kids, if they have any.
But bully for you for charting a brave and different course,how noble.

(If anyone reading this truly doesn’t understand the example I laid out of a high acheiving, motivated family in black America STILL being able to leave less for their kids and build less wealth over time than their equivalently talented white counterparts would have been able to do. . .)then I have nothing further to say; you’re just being willfully ignorant.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:46 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,519,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post

Actually, the above post illustrates precisely what holds back POC - still blaming the evil white man (never the white woman, btw....) which gives them an excuse for their own failures. Sad, really. Lot's of wasted talent.
So why don't you tell us how black people can get the banks to stop redlining or prevent white people from moving out of a neighborhood when a black family moves in.

Times have changed and things have gotten a little better but institutionalized racism still exists.

And I think that when people are blaming 'the evil white man', they are including white women. For the most part, though, white men are still in charge of the major institutions.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:21 PM

8,822 posts, read 4,488,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellorebecca View Post
Good for you. Like it or not, the vast majority of people in this country disagree with you—most people do leave their earnings to their kids, if they have any.
But bully for you for charting a brave and different course,how noble.
—
(If anyone reading this truly doesn’t understand the example I laid out of a high acheiving, motivated family in black America STILL being able to leave less for their kids and build less wealth over time than their equivalently talented white counterparts would have been able to do. . .)then I have nothing further to say; you’re just being willfully ignorant.
lol - I musta touched a nerve. FWIW my son doesn't need my money. What ever is left will go to charity. That is hardly a "different course". And your misguided idea that somehow white folks always get the better deal is laughable. So your son (or whatever) didn't get the VP slot - do you suppose that a bunch of equally talented white men also did not get the VP slot? How can they explain they were also passed over?

Go ahead and keep blaming those evil white men all you want but know that I am not the one being "willfully ignorant".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies