Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 11:07 AM

2,362 posts, read 770,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Perhaps the shooter was threatening to kill the girlfriend (as others have said he has done in the past). Maybe the victim threatened to kill the shooter. I don't know. But the video alone doesn't indicate that someone should have been killed. There are serious moral inadequacies of anyone who thinks that shove (in defense of his girlfriend) alone was a good enough reason to DIE.
No one should have died but then no one should be charged either in this circumstance. Just because someone dies doesn't mean we need to pass out charges and the person responsible should go to prison.

Is that easy enough for you to grasp? Or will you simplify it to shove = death again?

Old 07-23-2018, 11:08 AM

15,697 posts, read 9,452,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
But a lot of people who are complaining about the shove would be the first to call him a wimp if he didn't stand up for his girlfriend.
You act like he had two choices 1.) Physical violence or 2.) Nothing at all

Old 07-23-2018, 11:09 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,115,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The point about the second guy coming out is what the shooter may have thought. The shooter may have thought he was being approached by two men, one of whom just shoved him down.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the story in the OP said someone went in and told the shover about the argument outside. Or maybe I heard that on the radio tis morning.

Not sure if the shooter was aware of the guy in blue shirt. He didn't seem to look in his direction but may have seen him in peripheral vision. He also had the girlfriend to his right so may have been facing three potential adversaries from different sides.

I lean towards giving the shooter the benefit of the doubt but haven't drawn any conclusions. I'd want to hear the audio, hear the interview with shooter and girlfriend and guy in blue, and know any relevant history. I think no-billing him is a bit premature.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:09 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,472,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post
So you shove someone to the ground. Does that mean the person on the ground has a right to feel his life is at risk? Should pause for a moment? Should he pull a gun and first inform the guy to back off? Or is he right to just kill someone for getting shoved to the ground?

Sure he might feel threatened, but the guy who shoved him didn't really seem to be trying to keep going after him.

Florida sheriff says 'Stand Your Ground' law prevents arrest in fatal shooting in parking spot dispute | Fox News

(Note: don't read into the source of the news link above. It was one of the few articles I could find that easily included the video footage.)
Absolutely. It is an individuals natural right to self defense as they see fit, not for you or me or anyone else for that matter, but the individual in the situation, to decide what is appropriate as they see fit.

Don't harm anyone. There won't be an issue. Don't threaten anyone. There won't be an issue.

Play stupid games? Win stupid prizes.

Defense is defense. It is a natural right.
It is not open to subjective interpretation unless defense was used while engaging in criminal enterprise. Say protecting a drug stash from a competitive gang.

Stand your ground works.

See post #683 for examples.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...g-them-69.html

Old 07-23-2018, 11:13 AM

77,013 posts, read 47,426,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Those were the days women could not vote nor had any rights whatsoever. We moved passed those times.
No, it was not too long ago, and in other countries men still do it. Try running your mouth at someone's wife, girlfriend or child in Europe, or Latin America, and you'll probably get punched in the face. This is why it is very uncommon for anyone to cross that line. They know there are consequences.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:15 AM

52,447 posts, read 34,154,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, it was not too long ago, and in other countries men still do it. Try running your mouth at someone's wife, girlfriend or child in Europe, or Latin America, and you'll probably get punched in the face. This is why it is very uncommon for anyone to cross that line. They know there are consequences.
there are also consequences for shoving someone, it seems

Old 07-23-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Spare me your internet tough guy shtick. It's so so boring. I'm from Lisbon. You'd think I know how Europeans behave. I'm also 43. I have lived my life where I entered into many verbal altercations, even with man's wives. Both in the USA and in Europe. Never has anyone resorted to violence. And if they did, I'd gladly clean their clocks in court.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
there are also consequences for shoving someone, it seems
Yes, in US, you can run your mouth, and if someone reacts, you can legally gun them down, as was the case here. It's the law.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
I'm from Lisbon. You'd think I know how Europeans behave.
Apparently you don't. Sheltered life perhaps.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Apparently you don't. Sheltered life perhaps.
I do. I've traveled to 67 different countries, 7 continents, and by the tone and maturity of your statements, I'm guessing I'm older than you. But who knows, Americans tend to be immature.

What do you know about Europeans? I'm typing this from my flat in Lisbon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies