Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:18 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Neither is some obese hairy guy wearing a skin tight crotch showing speedo bathing suit.

It's still best to consider other people and go sit in a chair and be a little discrete. There were probably quite a few 8-14 year old boys at the pool who didn't really need to see Mom's boob.

And I say that being a Boob connoisseur.
Those boys probably see more exposed (and sexualized) boobage on TV every night than they are likely to see watching someone breastfeed. If things get awkward, they could always be told the truth: this is how mammals feed their infant young.

Also: discreet.

I still think the women showed poor judgment, but for reasons of sanitation, not modesty. Pool water is not something I would want in a baby's mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 08:19 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,709 times
This issue is less about America's puritanical attitudes towards breasts or the sanitary implications of breastfeeding in a public swimming pool - it's about society setting standards and individuals choosing to disobey them for their own convenience.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:33 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Why not step out of the pool and just sit in a chair a few feet away?
Because it's all about making a statement.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:42 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
This issue is less about America's puritanical attitudes towards breasts or the sanitary implications of breastfeeding in a public swimming pool -

it's about society setting standards and individuals choosing to disobey them for their own convenience.

in other words

S-E-L-F-I-S-H behavior.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:47 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
No food or drinks in the pool. This falls in both categories.

Have a little modesty and go sit in a chair.
She was sitting at the side of the kiddie wading pool so she could keep watch on her other children.

Quote:
A Minnesota mom is planning to file discrimination charges after she was asked to relocate while breastfeeding in the wading area of a community pool.

Stephanie Buchanan said she and her sister-in-law Mary Davis were supervising six children at the Mora Aquatic Center when another guest scolded her for breastfeeding her 3-month-old son in the kiddie pool.
http://abc11.com/family/mom-asked-to...ation/3799906/

Old 07-22-2018, 08:54 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,804,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Maybe. Not to mention older kids who decide getting out to go to the bathroom takes too long.
Or old people who have bladder leakage issues.

I have to question whether people posting here have children. They are constantly picking up stuff from the floor and putting it in their mouths. They're exposed to all kinds of germs on a daily basis.

There does seem to be an obsession out there with people wanting breastfeeding moms to cover up. I've seen more breast on primetime TV than I ever saw a nursing mom expose. Everyone has a right to their opinions, but it's tough enough to nurse a baby for a lot of women - I hate to see people trying to put up more barriers. I nursed my son for almost a year and it's a commitment women make for their health of their baby. It would have been a lot easier to buy formula, but there are so many demonstrable health benefits to nursing. Why some people choose this as their hill to die on is beyond me.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
No food or drinks in the pool. This falls in both categories.

Have a little modesty and go sit in a chair.
Yes! Have a little modesty! Modest woman

Old 07-22-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I would be uncomfortable seeing someone:
  • [B]
  • Take off their shoes and clip their toenails sitting on the edge of the pool
  • Popping pimples in public
  • Digging into their butt crack
  • Digging into their front crack or rearranging things
  • Using a farmer’s handkerchief
  • Flossing their teeth
    [*]Plucking a black hair from their lap area
    - just to name a few things
    [/b]
And, yeah, I’d appreciate it if everyone “caters” to those sensibilities. I agree Emily Post might be out of fashion but a little more etiquette would do wonders towards helping raise our national civility. One of the reasons people were able to justify voting for a man who was crass and cruel is because we have reverted to a society where it is argued behavior that offends others is acceptable if it is their “right” to act that way and the offended party will just have to get over itself.

I nursed four children, there is absolutely NO reason that a covering, such as a towel, can’t be used to spare uptight Puritans who don’t want to see it. I was taught that if I could do something, especially if it was a simple thing and/or didn’t effect me, to spare someone else’s feelings or to make them happier, I should. I am a huge believer in Karma.
No you didn't just compare breast feeding to the behaviors in your list above!

Old 07-22-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
This issue is less about America's puritanical attitudes towards breasts or the sanitary implications of breastfeeding in a public swimming pool - it's about society setting standards and individuals choosing to disobey them for their own convenience.
Why does society consider breastfeeding lewd behavior?

Minnesota Statute 145.905 says a mother may breastfeed in any location, public or private, where the mother and child are otherwise authorized to be. Breastfeeding is not considered indecent exposure.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:04 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Yes! Have a little modesty! Modest woman
Very nice, thanks for the link. Being a typical male over 21 I find those photos done very tastefully by GQ.
I assume you've never looked at a Playboy or worse?

But I'll bet she' never breast fed sitting on the side of a pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies