Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:30 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times

Advertisements

Wow; I think the saddest part about this thread is that the original poster thinks he's confronting the problem...when really he is adding to it. Tssk, tssk. Oh, and I'm a Black person with a credit score in the 450ish range. I am not a criminal. I just went to college and was not able to afford my student loan payments. Well...unless going to college was a crime. True my family couldn't afford to pay for my college. Yet people complain because Black people don't go to college. Jeez, I guess sometimes, you just can't win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 07:32 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Wow; I think the saddest part about this thread is that the original poster thinks he's confronting the problem...when really he is adding to it. Tssk, tssk. Oh, and I'm a Black person with a credit score in the 450ish range. I am not a criminal. I just went to college and was not able to afford my student loan payments. Well...unless going to college was a crime. True my family couldn't afford to pay for my college. Yet people complain because Black people don't go to college. Jeez, I guess sometimes, you just can't win.
That's what Im trying to tell him. It's money, not color.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:55 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
I'll ask you again Tomcox. What do you suggest we do to stop perpetuating the negative stereotypes? Like I mentioned before, I pay my bills, I don't have a criminal record, I have good credit, I don't blame others for my shortcomings etc.. There are loads black folks just like me. So tell me what should we do to appease you and other non-blacks?

Old 04-04-2008, 09:52 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,425 times
Quote:
Thank you. I think that you gave an example, by using your situation, that should bring a better understanding.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:16 AM

582 posts, read 2,039,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
One of the aspects of my small real estate firm is property management. This past week, I took an application from an outwardly qualifying black lady from Texas. It was so important to me to do everything I could to place this lady as she was well dressed, driving a very nice and clean automobile and had a very educated vocabulary. From the outside she was the perfect candidate, but that is were the road turns. As she filled out her application, she said that she couldn't list previous landlords as she owned her home, but was here for a two year employment opportunity as she was in the construction industry.

She filled out the application and right in front of her, I ran her credit report and criminal records. Oh, how the results hurt, she had a credit score of less than 450, plus had a criminal record that showed she had passed forged documents twice.

The point of this thread is simply that this lady added to the negative stereotypes affecting minority raced people. Her home was in her mother's name, she blamed all the bad credit on a child, and denied the criminal records although the birthdate, physical descriptions (lady was very tall), and addresses matched.

This is not to condemn all black people as liars and criminals with poor credit history, but until the preponderance of such activity is decreased, the many examples of upstanding, honorable, and solid-citizen black people will always be marred by stereotypical doubt. I am so sad that such a stereotype exists.
Those are the ones that drive a mercedes,bmw etc and don't have a pot to **** in.I don't feel bad for those people they put themselves in those situations.I run these people's credit everyday and some of them can buy a car around 10k but they refuse to do so they want a 30k car and that's where the priorities are screwed up.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:59 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
Those are the ones that drive a mercedes,bmw etc and don't have a pot to **** in.I don't feel bad for those people they put themselves in those situations.I run these people's credit everyday and some of them can buy a car around 10k but they refuse to do so they want a 30k car and that's where the priorities are screwed up.
I agree with you. However, (and I don't mean to make excuses for that woman...or get off the subject too much here...) you would be surprised at the things that would ruin someone's credit. College cost about the same as 2 fully loaded Cadillac Escalades. Also what people forget is that college tuition is just the half of it. My biggest expense in going to school was room and board...not tuition. I worked two jobs while in college...but they were minimum wage jobs that gave me pocket money...not rent money. One of my economics teachers correctly stated, "When you are in college, you have to factor in the cost of your attendance PLUS the income you give up by attending college."

Of course as an 18 year-old, I was really hesitant over going into so much debt. However everyone was saying, "are you crazy....this is "good" debt". I don't totally dispute that. However, your credit report doesn't differentiate between the two.

I never, ever drove a car that I didn't totally pay off within 6 months (so they all have been used). I don't live above my means or anything like that. It goes back to overall poor people are more likely to have bad credit. I mean, if I would have had the money for it, of course I would have paid for college myself. That just wasn't an option.

Sorry...I didn't take your post personally. But the "priorities" question doesn't tell the whole story. College and medical expenses usually are justified in that you have a chance to save or greatly improve someone's life.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:19 AM

582 posts, read 2,039,078 times
Quote:
I agree with you. However, (and I don't mean to make excuses for that woman...or get off the subject too much here...) you would be surprised at the things that would ruin someone's credit. College cost about the same as 2 fully loaded Cadillac Escalades. Also what people forget is that college tuition is just the half of it. My biggest expense in going to school was room and board...not tuition. I worked two jobs while in college...but they were minimum wage jobs that gave me pocket money...not rent money. One of my economics teachers correctly stated, "When you are in college, you have to factor in the cost of your attendance PLUS the income you give up by attending college."

Of course as an 18 year-old, I was really hesitant over going into so much debt. However everyone was saying, "are you crazy....this is "good" debt". I don't totally dispute that. However, your credit report doesn't differentiate between the two.

I never, ever drove a car that I didn't totally pay off within 6 months (so they all have been used). I don't live above my means or anything like that. It goes back to overall poor people are more likely to have bad credit. I mean, if I would have had the money for it, of course I would have paid for college myself. That just wasn't an option.

Sorry...I didn't take your post personally. But the "priorities" question doesn't tell the whole story. College and medical expenses usually are justified in that you have a chance to save or greatly improve someone's life.
I don't think what i said relates to your situation.I am talking about people that want things they can't afford just to look good.people that don't pay anybody back but continue to put themselves in a bind.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:43 PM

200 posts, read 121,781 times
We need to get beyond this stereotype that all blacks are poor. I know a number of affluent blacks with incomes in excess of $100,000.

I know a lot of average, middle class whites, and poor whites.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:38 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
We need to get beyond this stereotype that all blacks are poor. I know a number of affluent blacks with incomes in excess of $100,000.

I know a lot of average, middle class whites, and poor whites.
Is $100,000 now the cut off for affluent? Here in Southern California that barely qualifies you for lower middle class. (just my 2 cents, since you threw that number out there)

I still believe that what people have on the outside should not be used to determine their worth. Merit is what matters to me.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:09 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
You just proved the stereotype, but I don't relish it, and I certainly don't condemn you for it. You fit the stereotype, and you can't help it, but you are still in it. It angers me that I can't point out that the rain is falling from the sky without some narrow minded people claiming that I am not a sunny kind of guy. I pointed out a problem which affects many poor people, especially those of color, to such a point that it becomes an expectation, not an exception. That is when a stereotype becomes real, no matter what the cause of the expectations. As a sales oriented person, I want every person to be able to buy my product or service. So don't accuse me of making it worse... Show me the facts that prove my OP wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies