Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 12:09 AM

4,559 posts, read 1,435,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Genuine curiosity here, but does having a ‘back channel’ somehow suggest that it cannot exist through an intermediary? I never thought Trump, or any President for that matter, cannot send information via another person? Simply, I am asking if Putin and Trump are potentially using a back channel to communicate for any reason for he doesn’t trust either technology (as documented, he’s said in the past that he doesn’t trust email and would rather send information by paper to avoid information landing the wrong hands or being hacked) nor the operators of his phones.
Regular communication channels are monitored by Intel.

On both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
No fan of Trump, but I would say it’s OK to discuss government business in private without other government officials. The problem at hand is that he isn’t event attempting to remedy our concerns anymore. If I were Trump supporter, I would still think the optics of meeting alone while under investigation for coordinating with a foreign power isn’t the best move.

He could so easily kill our concerns:

•Release tax forms (he said no one but journalists care to see them)
•Have a consistent message on Russia (today, he again suggested Russia inference is a hoax)
•Address the nation from the Oval Office on Russia
•He should’ve implemented the sanctions on time and not grudgingly and behind closed doors
Though I don’t agree with Lindsey Graham on anything, he did say something spot on if Trump isn’t guilty:

I think the president gets this confused, if you suggest that Russians meddled in 2016, he goes to the idea that, well, I didn’t collude with them.

He could vindicate himself, but doesn’t.
In politics for so long and these folks can't spot a liar?

Trump outs himself

Old 07-23-2018, 12:18 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
In politics for so long and these folks can't spot a liar?

Trump outs himself
Yet, for some strange reason, his supporters cannot see an issue here in respect to Russia. Again, if he is innocent, why is he acting this way?

Old 07-23-2018, 12:34 AM

16,548 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
A few Americans, including Erik Prince and Jared Kushner, have attempted to create a back channel with Russia, what is the possibility that it exists?
All presidents in the telecommunication age have that ability, and it is nothing new. I think it was a great idea, especially during the cold war, where one misunderstanding could have left our planet lifeless.
The point being that most world leaders can communicate with each other, whether it be directly or via their staffs.

`

Old 07-23-2018, 12:35 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Absolutely, I more than understand that but I am asking if it’s possible that Trump and Putin/Russia are, somehow, communicating outside of established diplomatic and secure channels?
They met alone with no one but a translator in Helsinki. Now they won't allow the translator answer questions about what was said from Congress. So, yeah, it's possible.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Of course they use “back channels” to communicate. Every leader in every major country does. To think otherwise is foolish. That doesn’t necessarily mean there is controversy going on. Just read the book about the Cuban Missle Crisis by Kennedy’s brother. It’s an interesting book and they are very open about the “back channels” used to talk with the Kremlin at that time.
Well we are pretty certain Kennedy wasn't getting the latest instructions from Nickita on how to conduct America d business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies