Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 08:42 PM

39,838 posts, read 26,470,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Someone sounds triggered. News alert: it's not the boomers who are into the artsy fartsy craft beer trend.
Hey now, don't call quality alcohol (as opposed to the mass produced swill we typically made) an artsy-fartsy trend. Well, this is the place for controversies.

I like a good dark beer, especially a porter. Lately though, I've taken to Coors Light (described as similar to sex in a canoe-old timers know this one). It's safer on a bike than something with an alcohol content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 09:01 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,350,417 times
I am an older Gen-Xer and can only speak anecdotally, but I have to say that, yes, I do see a lot of drinking in the two preceding generations. It astonishes and concerns my husband and me to see the amount of alcohol our parents' friends put away at neighborhood gatherings. My husband and I have maybe a couple of glasses of wine a year, and it's usually at some sort of special occasion. Even my young adult kids have commented on the high levels of alcohol consumption by their grandparents' generation because while we're not teetotalers, none of us have any desire to drink that way.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:02 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,586,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Hey now, don't call quality alcohol (as opposed to the mass produced swill we typically made) an artsy-fartsy trend. Well, this is the place for controversies.

I like a good dark beer, especially a porter. Lately though, I've taken to Coors Light (described as similar to sex in a canoe-old timers know this one). It's safer on a bike than something with an alcohol content.
Not to worry - the artsy fartsy craft beer phrase was a direct quote taken from the person bashing the boomers. I think craft beer is great, but if you look at the demographics of the people buying it, it's not the boomers as the poster was suggesting as some type of put down.

We boomers do have our favorites though. Next we'll be referred to as old and predictably boring...lol.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:13 PM

6,098 posts, read 4,598,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Hmmm...you do know the boomers are responsible for pot decrim movement that is finally bearing fruit?

Generalizing about tens of millions of people is a bad idea anyway, but I like to think of what we have left to the country as being many of the common everyday habits and changes...

1. Informality - before boomers you had to dress up for most all workplaces and to go out to even middle-level eateries. What a PITA. Somewhat Victorian also...
More Americans appreciate simple pleasures as opposed to luxury. Hiking, being together, etc.

2. Allowance for more creativity - was somewhat frowned upon by some former generations, now the arts, music and many other such pursuits are "normal".

3. The Internet and the democratization of communication (please don't blame the current haters who abuse the system on us - we never thought people were that uneducated)...

4. More natural foods and attention to eating habits - massive change. In the past it was always difficult to find decent food, now much easier.

5. The anti-war movement - unfortunately, the powers-that-be (Cheney, etc.) are not Baby Boomers and the MIC won't be stopped. However, the number of American soldiers killed during the Baby Boomer Adult years (1975 to present) seems fewer than at any time in the last 150 years...especially as a percentage.

6. The environmental movement. Cars now put out 1/50th the pollution. Amazing.

7. Safety - just taking cars alone, amazing advances. Thanks to Mr. Nader and the others...

8. More movement toward actually implementing Civil Rights - although laws were passed formerly, the period from 1980 to present actually moved the needle quite a bit, IMHO...

There is, of course, a lot more. The world doesn't turn on a dime but there are a lot of things which have improved.
I do know that the Baby Boomers are getting behind pot legalization, yes. And the other points are all fine points.

I actually do like many things about the generation's culture as a whole, some of which you hit on. As I mentioned before, the point I made was concerning a large group as a whole, with lots of exceptions and nothing personal against any person, and also based on some personal subjectivity. And in my opinion, the generation did have a wild behavioral side as a cultural shift that occurred with that generation in contrast to their more somewhat stoic predecessors, the "Silent" generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Someone sounds triggered. News alert: it's not the boomers who are into the artsy fartsy craft beer trend.
If you mean that people younger than Boomers have gotten into Craft Beer, then yes, I would agree. However, even though it has only become a hot trend in the last decade or so, it was the Boomers' generation who started the trend in its early days.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:51 PM

19,483 posts, read 9,516,779 times
Matter of ones' opinion. As a boomer, I don't drink any more than I have for maybe the past 15-20 + years.
Didn't matter to me whether it be D or R Admin. I might have an occasional glass of wine, or a glass of beer. I do so because I like the taste, not to get drunk.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:00 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,315,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am a baby boomer and might have a glass or two of good champagne over the holidays. Maybe I am missing out on all the fun.

According to the link, between 2005-2014, older Americans reported engaging in "past month binge drinking" (4-5 drinks in 2 hours)- a lot of drink. I am a tad skeptical of surveys that ask random people to self- identify/ report anything.

Who was surveyed?

How many were surveyed?

How were they surveyed?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Four or five drinks in two hours? Pretty low limbo bar for a binge.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:15 PM

32,032 posts, read 15,030,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Because you're in retirement and don't have to get up at 4 am for a job like many did. So why not drink and enjoy retirement. What is wrong with that. Why do people have to criticize

Old 07-25-2018, 10:18 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,422,873 times
Quote:
Capitalist convince people like you to focus on generational divides so you don't look at them while they steal from your pocket.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,809,953 times
Quote:

hmmm, you claim we have a bad voting record, but is that because we tend to vote republican? or you somehow think we dont vote often enough? either way your title is rubbish. just because someone is conservative, or liberal, how they vote is up to them. you may not like the way other people vote, but thats too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I was an Independent from 1972 to 2004 when I became a Democrat. In all those decades never missed voting, but only voted for 2 Republicans; Gerald Ford and George Patakai (one time). Yeah, very bad voting habits, IF you are a Republican.

you died in 2004? kidding. i will just point you to my above post regarding voting.

as for the drinking, i like alcohol, for a number of things, including consumption. however i limit myself, like many others on the board here who are also baby boomers, to the occasional drink. i have done that since i was 18, though recently i do it to limit the damage to what is left of my kidneys(alcohol doesnt treat them very well, and it is especially bad being on dialysis).

Old 07-25-2018, 10:34 PM

30,318 posts, read 19,107,564 times
Quote:
I have the opposite view...Boomers vote much better than Millenials and are now even out drinking you....take that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies