Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 02:06 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,850,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
As a black man, I face the consequences of using that word all the time. And I do use it.

Those consequences are this: people being angry at me for using a word that they’d get in trouble for saying.

Terrible consequences indeed. And believe me when I say that my feelings are hurt as a result.
LOL this sounds like some sort of childish passive aggressive way of coping with frustration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 02:13 PM

56,990 posts, read 35,095,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Just let them continue using whatever ghetto vocabulary they want. They will continue to wonder why they have a hard time getting good paying jobs.
Lol...this is the kinda BS that really kills me. I’m like Paul Mooney...I say it a bunch of times right after I brush my teeth, and you’re definitely no better off than I am.

There’s no correlation to the n-word and a good paying job...okay? You should be smart enough to know better than to utter something so stupid.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:16 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,090,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
People that get so butt hurt about that word have no problem using the word redneck do they.
Well if your neck is red then...

JK, that's not right either.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:17 PM

56,990 posts, read 35,095,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
LOL this sounds like some sort of childish passive aggressive way of coping with frustration.
Shrug. Here I am spilling my guts and you laugh at me.

You’d make a terrible analyst.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:19 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,054,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Why do white people feel a need to say it?
Don't they realize their own history when it comes to using that word?
Most whites do NOT feel a need to say it. I don’t. I don’t think anyone should say it. You are missing the point.

The point is that when one race can do something because they are that race and another race cannot do the very same thing because they are of a different race—it’s a double standard and it’s racist. It doesn’t matter what the thing is or which race.

If you base the ability do anything on which race someone is, it’s wrong.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:31 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,942,563 times
Words only have the power we give them. People call me a beaner and I don’t put any thought or care into it. It can only hurt me if I let it.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:35 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,778,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
In light of so many white people getting into trouble for uttering the n-word, what if black people who use the n-word faced consequences too?

I hear that damn word EVERY weekday while on the Los Angeles Metro. It's never white people saying it in public, it's black people. Mostly men, but some women. Frequently. LOUDLY. Often with enthusiasm, anger, or extra "stank."

It's said in front of children, the elderly, and all races.

Non-black people lose their jobs and reputations over the n-word but it is tossed around so much I wonder what would happen if there weren't a double standard.

What if EVERYONE who says the n-word was held accountable?

LOL - sounds like someone who wants to call a black person a n**ger to me... lol

Say it if you want to. Tell those n**gers to shut up on the train and tell us how it goes lol.

Sorry but it is always hilarious to me when non-black people complain about being judged for saying a racial slur.

I'll note I'm black and don't use the word at all. Most black people I know don't and it has been heavily debated in black America for many (MANY) years, moreso than whites complaining today about not being "allowed" to use it without repercussions. I'll also note that I've seen and know many white people who use it often and Latinos who use it often and claim they are a "part of hip hop culture" and they suffer no repercussions. Everyday people, even if they're white can and do use it and get no repercussions, just like black people. And many younger black people will take up for their white friends/associates who use the word.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:37 PM

Also, please note I was called a n**ger and a n**ger b**ch plenty of times when I worked in the banking industry at a bank. The white people who threw tantrums and called me that, experienced no repercussions.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I've questioned a few employees over the years when I hear them saying that word.

1) In an open environment, I don't want my people using profanity/racial slurs/making inappropriate comments, period. They are a reflection of the company, and as such, I hold them to a high standard. What the do off the clock is none of my business.

2) I understand it's their word, and they have taken the sting out of it, for them. I asked them to consider when using the word to think about how many of their ancestors heard that as their final words, just before being strung up. That soberd them up quickly, and was a teachable moment.

I agree with this and say the same thing when other black people say it, except I'm much more blunt with my description and I'll mention before they had their nuts cut off, stuffed in their mouths, or were set on fired, then strung up.

Also I tell them it is disrespectful to call yourself, your friends, your family, or any of our people a word that was created to de-humanize us.

I still get argues back about it, mostly from younger people who are young and dumb and so don't want to think about what I'm telling them.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:41 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,054,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL - sounds like someone who wants to call a black person a n**ger to me... lol

Say it if you want to. Tell those n**gers to shut up on the train and tell us how it goes lol.

Sorry but it is always hilarious to me when non-black people complain about being judged for saying a racial slur.

I'll note I'm black and don't use the word at all. Most black people I know don't and it has been heavily debated in black America for many (MANY) years, moreso than whites complaining today about not being "allowed" to use it without repercussions. I'll also note that I've seen and know many white people who use it often and Latinos who use it often and claim they are a "part of hip hop culture" and they suffer no repercussions. Everyday people, even if they're white can and do use it and get no repercussions, just like black people. And many younger black people will take up for their white friends/associates who use the word.
Again, it isn’t so much the word itself that is the problem

Remember back in the 1960s, there was a whole civil rights movement because people said they wanted to get away from race-based restrictions and opportunities? Do you or don’t you?

An ugly word is an ugly word. I am a woman and don’t use the “c-word” and don’t appreciate anyone, whether male or female, calling me that, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies