Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 06:40 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
What I get tired of is the "emotional vomit" from users who have to put every personal detail of their lives on FB. Also, the "locater" which shows where you are: ex: "Dining at Joe's Crab shack with my entire family of 22 people in Utah!" Meanwhile, someone robs the guys house because he is dumb enough to post that he is NOT at home and is 1,200 miles away in Utah.

Moral of story: Post your Hawaii pictures AFTER you get back home...

Animal and/or surgeries with too much detail and images to see parts that were removed are too much to see.

People posting pictures about hospital stays and act like it is a secret so everyone is asking what the heck is going on. Why not immediately saying what’s going on. It seem like some want to show/Post and require questions to give more info about what’s going on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 06:49 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene1999 View Post
Yawn, the stock fell lower with the Cambridge analytical scandal back in April

I don’t use their service but believe me, It’s far from over.

Facebook does not force anyone to use their services or share their personal info. If you do that, it’s your own fault. Facebook is not your mommy and zuckerberg is certainly not your daddy.
True - I had FB in my holdings at just about $21 average per share and sold it at $152 walking away with hefty profit in March. It bounced back and jumped all the way to about $210. Even today it's still at $176.

What got investors jittery wasn't the one quarter of results but the expectation of continuing lowered expectations as they are gearing up to protect the company from what happened in 2016. They hired over 37K new employees thus far in the effort and the new EU General Data Protection Regulation that went into effect with slowing growth.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:07 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I agree with this. They are definitely involved in with some shady stuff. I call my local plumber to empty my septic tank, and later on that night, I am seeing ads on FB about septic tank cleaning, and I never searched for the service online at all. I go to the doctors for a check up, and given a prescription, and I get home and the same medicine is being advertised to me on FB. The biggest eye opener is when my friend and I went to Barnes and Noble, and we looked at several CD's, and then bought some books, and then sat down at the Starbucks, and we did this all with cash, and used no store cards because we don't go there enough to bother with the hassle, and my friend started to scroll on FB with her phone, and they were advertising B&N, the actual CD's we were looking at, the books we bought and Starbucks. I can understand Starbucks and B&N, since maybe FB located us with our phones, but to know what we bought with cash and the CD's we were looking at got us both spooked. Are they like, watching us on camera?????
I am so glad I am not alone in this realization! I don't even use FB, but evidently my Debit card is "in the system" because I buy something unique and there it is in my computer as ads. I have noticed the last week or so that I don't even have to go online or use my card for something and yet there it is, what I have been wanting or thinking about, marketed to me on my PC/internet in the form of ads.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:13 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Facebook stocks went down after hour due to bad revenues.

Since all the biased handlings of Facebook came to light, I haven’t used Facebook much or only to check a few times. But usage went on my end down by at least 90%.

This morning I checked my ad status again and again my info was shared with unknown people and I had to “hide” another 40 companies/people from Allstate to unknown politicians and companies that I never heard off.

Disgusting to see that Facebook didn’t seem to change anything. Fake promises by Zuckerberg to Congress and we the people!

Yeahbut Mr. Zuckerberg is still worth $68.9 billion, which am more than reasonably sure is vastly more than anyone posting on this board.

In short Mr. and Mrs. Zuckerberg and children are in no danger of moving into the poor house anytime soon. But don't let this interrupt your healthy appetite for schadenfreude; enjoy yourself.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:28 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene1999 View Post
Yawn, the stock fell lower with the Cambridge analytical scandal back in April

I don’t use their service but believe me, It’s far from over.

Facebook does not force anyone to use their services or share their personal info. If you do that, it’s your own fault. Facebook is not your mommy and zuckerberg is certainly not your daddy.
I don't know how you can sugar coat it. I was watching Bloomberg and they said it was the largest dollar amount lost by any company in history in one day.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:41 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Facebook stocks went down after hour due to bad revenues.

Since all the biased handlings of Facebook came to light, I haven’t used Facebook much or only to check a few times. But usage went on my end down by at least 90%.

This morning I checked my ad status again and again my info was shared with unknown people and I had to “hide” another 40 companies/people from Allstate to unknown politicians and companies that I never heard off.

Disgusting to see that Facebook didn’t seem to change anything. Fake promises by Zuckerberg to Congress and we the people!
How did it get lost? Did he donate it to New Jersey schools?

Old 07-26-2018, 08:44 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yeahbut Mr. Zuckerberg is still worth $68.9 billion, which am more than reasonably sure is vastly more than anyone posting on this board.

In short Mr. and Mrs. Zuckerberg and children are in no danger of moving into the poor house anytime soon. But don't let this interrupt your healthy appetite for schadenfreude; enjoy yourself.
No worries for Zuckerberg to be in the poor housebut lots of people (not me) lost trust and money.

Zuckerbergs success seems to have come to an end. Zuckerberg will most likely not run for President any time soon.

The wall around his homes will probably be giving him the safety and comfort he needs.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:09 AM

104 posts, read 60,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't know how you can sugar coat it. I was watching Bloomberg and they said it was the largest dollar amount lost by any company in history in one day.
I’m not sugarcoating anything. The stock dipped lower than today’s price in April and it still went back up

Just because they broke some record it doesn’t mean they are doomed. People are still using their services and they are still making Good profit with ads.

What will ruin Facebook is if companies stop buying their ads. Some analysts are afraid that while Facebook didn’t lose users in the US, it is possible users might be using their website less often or they might be sharing less information

Of course they will eventually lose many of their profitable users once those users get older.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:45 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Not to mention that he already probably pulled out at least a couple of billion with planned selling over the years, in order to diversify at least a bit. So if the stock went to zero, he would still be fine.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:48 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
No worries for Zuckerberg to be in the poor housebut lots of people (not me) lost trust and money.

Zuckerbergs success seems to have come to an end. Zuckerberg will most likely not run for President any time soon.

The wall around his homes will probably be giving him the safety and comfort he needs.
Yeah, he's not much for spending money on cars but, IIRC, he bought all of the houses surrounding his in order to increase his safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies