Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 05:31 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Actually, I recall voting machines flipping votes in a few states but they flipped Trump votes to Hillary. There is at least one video on youtube where a voter recorded himself pressing the Trump button and you can see it happen. What these voters did was go to the poll worker and request a paper ballot.

We should only vote by paper ballot with a bar code and be able to track it through the system to make sure it gets recorded.

We usually don't agree - but I do agree with you entirely on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 05:35 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Influencing an election is one thing, changing votes would be an act of war. I doubt Russia would cross that line.

That said these machines need to be replaced ASAP. Everyone should have paper trail and display the paper results to the voter before leaving the booth. Randomly audit them to make sure the paper vote matches the electronic vote.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:51 PM

23,563 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Saying that Russia, or anyone, changed votes in a voting machine by hacking it is silly since those machines aren't connected to the internet. Sure the votes in the machines can be changed but that would take physical (no internet cord) access to the machines to do it.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:14 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Saying that Russia, or anyone, changed votes in a voting machine by hacking it is silly since those machines aren't connected to the internet. Sure the votes in the machines can be changed but that would take physical (no internet cord) access to the machines to do it.

What you are referring to is an air gap, while that helps it doesn't make them invulnerable. At some point in time either a tech or whoever is going to connect something to that device, if the device they are connecting is from outside the air gap then it is effectively closed.

For example you create worm that ends up infecting 100's or even billions of devices world wide but this worm has a precise mission and does nothing to them. When a tech takes his infected laptop into the air gapped facility bad things happen to things like centrifuges.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:23 PM

23,563 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What you are referring to is an air gap, while that helps it doesn't make them invulnerable. At some point in time either a tech or whoever is going to connect something to that device, if the device they are connecting is from outside the air gap then it is effectively closed.

For example you create worm that ends up infecting 100's or even billions of devices world wide but this worm has a precise mission and does nothing to them. When a tech takes his infected laptop into the air gapped facility bad things happen to things like centrifuges.
I understand all of that, but I would think that they investigate those machine before they are wheeled into the polling places. And, I see no reason why someone at those polling places would plug a machine into the internet while the machine is available to be used, especially since they also know what you say can happen if it's plugged into the internet.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:34 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Listen to Rosenstein in post #11.

Or post #17 with the historical timeline.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:44 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Actually, I recall voting machines flipping votes in a few states but they flipped Trump votes to Hillary. There is at least one video on youtube where a voter recorded himself pressing the Trump button and you can see it happen. What these voters did was go to the poll worker and request a paper ballot.

We should only vote by paper ballot with a bar code and be able to track it through the system to make sure it gets recorded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
[/b]

We usually don't agree - but I do agree with you entirely on this.

This also goes into voter identification, I can not understand some people's objection to being presented for identification in order to vote. One of you most important civic responsibilities, and some people are Ok with not having to present picture identification to prove who you say you are.

In todays day and age it is almost impossible to be able to function with out identification, so I don't understand the reluctance to voter identification. I know here in Virginia I have had to show my drivers license for years now before I could be allowed to vote.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:14 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
I think the OP needs this tee shirt

https://www.amazon.com/Trump-Won-Get.../dp/B01MRRPC6J

Old 07-26-2018, 08:21 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
That's just one big lie. The stupid article repeatedly pretends that accessing voter databases is the same thing as accessing voting machines. Complete dishonesty.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:24 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The thing that bothers me about the machines is where they are made and who does the software.
Machines were made in China and the software developed in Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies