Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 01:18 PM

19,622 posts, read 12,218,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
[b]

Ugh! It's like listening to an old friend of mine at work. He keeps nagging me to "Find some woman to have kids with" while at the same time telling me the stories of his two bitter divorces and how he had to pay for 3 kids college educations AND his grandson because his son-in-law (the kid's father) was some worthless drug addict. Oh, and he's basically given up on women for those reasons?! Oh, yeah! Real inspirational story! Maybe if I play my cards right, I can be just like him!
What does he have to do with you or anyone. Some marriages are successful and some are not. It's important to marry for the right reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 01:22 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
A lot of the reasoning was sound, economic reasoning.

We're either going to make it easier for middle class people to be parents OR they are just going to stop having kids.

Then who is going to pay for our Medicare??
The country existed for 176 years after the Constitution was ratified without Medicare.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:22 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
To find out reasons behind plummeting birth rates, researchers went out and asked young Americans why they weren't interested in having children.

And this was their reply: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/u...ld-us-why.html

You could have at least summarized the reasons without forcing people to click on the NYT link.

I'm not going to take any action that might lead to the continued existence of the NYT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Didn't California just reduce the penalty for knowingly spreading AIDS?

Knowingly spreading a sexually transmitted disease constitutes an assault, and they should be imprisoned and fined accordingly, and the State should automatically initiate a civil lawsuit to recover damages on behalf of the victims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Millennials got absolutely annhilated the hardest by the 2008 downturn more than any other group.

The Lost Generation and the Silent Generation -- aka the "Greatest Generation" (snicker) -- got saddled with the 1925 Recession, 1928 Recession, 1930 Recession, 1935 Recession, 1937 Recession, 1946 Recession, 1949 Recession and three recessions during the Eisenhower Administration, and they managed just fine.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:23 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Perhaps people have been brainwashed to thinking that financial security is essential to raising kids.

If you want to have kids, any time is the right time.
Sarcasm?

Old 07-27-2018, 01:25 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Trade School can also mean IT. If you know of anyone who hires illegals, turn their butt over to ICE.
IT is a terrible career path. Any guy in India can do it for pennies on the dollar.

ICE will do nothing other than give them a slap on the wrist, and you’ll get called a racist. Why do you think that construction work pays so little?

Like I said, it’s medicine (or law or corporate upper management)...all other careers are dead.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:33 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Recommending people not get a college degree these days demonstrates total ignorance about the work world today.

The reality is that a lot of jobs require it, even if the actual day to day work really does NOT need a degree. But nobody cares about your "20+ years of experience as a real 'merican worker!" when it comes time for you to apply to that job. No degree? Congrats - the automated resume filter will trash your application and no human will ever read it to marvel at how you worked your way up through the school of hard knocks, or whatever "back in the day" story we want to tell.

A college degree is vital to compete in today's workforce, and even if it is sometimes just a "piece of paper" or a "ticket to apply to a job," that's a heck of a lot better than NOT having that chance.

It's laughable the lunacy seen on this thread where people try to pretend kids are cheap and the only reason they are expensive is because "Dumb people want them to go college instead of walking up the road to the Old Steel Mill, shaking the foreman's hand while looking him in the eye, and having a job for life that afternoon." Can we at least post hilarious anecdotes from this century?
You don't need a college degree to work for yourself. But that requires initiative, creativity, persistence .. and work.

Option 1: I would guess that someone who went to trade school and then started working, worked up, got into management/started a business all the while using connections ...

Option 2: Or as an alternative, used trade school as a means to FUND a community school (2 y)/transfer to university for college degree (2 y) = BA or BS, paying their way through no debt upon graduation ..... then they have multiple options, work experience AND connections ...

... would BOTH be in a better financial position around age 28 then a HS > college nonstarter with a lib arts dime-a-dozen major, no work experience, and $75K in debt.

But people REFUSE and I mean head in the sand, butt in the air REFUSE to seek any solutions.

They WANT that college debt just so they can complain about how tough they have it. It's like a sick badge of honor. Truly sick.

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Lol. The only hyperbole on this thread is the nonsense excuses being made by the "have kids or else!" crowd to try to pretend kids are cheap. Everything from attempts to deny housing is expensive to dumb advise about skipping college while being grossly ignorant of how that auto-filters you out of countless jobs - it's all hyperbole and foolish.

Pot meet kettle. Most hyperbolic poster of City-Data going to slam someone else about hyperbole. LOL

There's about 2 dozen career paths that legitimately have a need for a college education.

Get Walmart in bed with a college. They'll work and scheme together to make it a requirement to have a college degree to be a door greeter or cashier or shelf stocker.

College gets the kickback in tuition fees.
Walmart gets the kick back with intern wages.
Little lemmings who listened to the progressives in how a college degree is the end all be all winds up starting adulthood with a debt they can't default on.
Everyone wins but the lemming. From the college admin, to the limp wristed professor pushing BS humanities as a requirement to be working with the public.

Meanwhile I'll hire anyone who hasn't sat through college to be indoctrinated for I can teach them mold them shape them into great workers with critical thinking skills.
Rather than worry about their feelings.
And unlike their counter parts, they'll be making money out of the gate. Getting paid while working and learning. The way it should be.

I don't know about you. I'm actually being the change I seek. I'll tell the younger dudes. Screw going to college right away and start out up to your eyes in debt. Work for me for a few years. If you want to move on, fine, at least you'll have a paycheck to afford going to college for a better opportunity. Why throw yourself into debt right away? Why pizz money away pointlessly. Colleges don't have an age requirement for classes. There's no cut offs. Just cash. You have the money, they have the classes.

I tell them. Look you're 17 18 19 21 22 25 still at home with mom and dad? Why?
They say. Because housing.
Look up housing in our AO.
What's wrong with this house for 110k?
It doesn't have a granite kitchen. It doesn't have a pool. It doesn't have...
They've no idea what a starter home is! Even here in Florida they have unrealistic expectations because they live at home with mom and dad and have become accustomed to a 3/2 with 2 car garage a pool the marble and granite the top of the line appliances. But they dont see and don't appreciate the work their parents did to get where they are and have what they have.

The younger guys? I tell them. Don't pizz off mom and dad. Stay on their good side. Stack your cash wisely so you aren't stuck paying rent and never seeing that money. Stay on their good side. You make 18 19 20 22 25 an hour? In 2-3 years time you can be able to put considerable cash down on a house, walk in to the dealership and pay cash for that car/truck you want.
Never mind going here going there. Never mind having kids getting married. Do that after you've established yourself. Why put yourself in a compromising position?!
Besides, with divorce rates as high as they are, if you owned the house outright, you are safe. You can always protect your assests. So why follow a social norm that worked 40 years ago? Why even play that game?

You say folks need a college degree.
I say. Folks need more common sense and ambition. Neither of which are common commodities any more.

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Sarcasm?
Not at all - Amongst the small amount of people I know that made the choice not to have kids, there seem to be a concern with financial security, that bordered on obsession.

Maybe too much emphasis on preparation, and not enough on adaptation.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:35 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
I'd love to see more people choose to adopt. Why produce another human and not know what you're going to get (will they be healthy, will pregnancy and childbirth harm me, etc), add enormously to the ecological footprint, have to deal with 24/7 scream crying and complete dependence of newborns up until age 2...

When you could adopt a 5 year old who already exists, but is languishing without a family?

Adoption isn't for everyone and has its own unique set of challenges, and I pass no judgement against those who choose not to adopt, but I personally would prefer that so much more than reproducing.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:38 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Child care costs are insane. Child care can cost more than the entire salary some people make in year, so couples have to decide whether one of them should just quit their jobs altogether because it'd be cheaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Daycare in my area is $2000 a month for the bottom of the barrel type places.
What an excellent example of Cost-push Inflation.

Cost-push Inflation occurs when government regulations drive up the prices of goods and services, like child-care and healthcare.

In the late 1970s and early 1980s when child-care facilities first started opening, there were no requirements, but now many State require a formal education.

Ohio let's people "get by" with a 2-year Associate Degree in Early Childhood Education in order to work at or own a child-care facility.

Whereas you could pay child-care workers minimum wage, you now how to pay $12-$15/hour because they're required to have an education.

There are myriad other rules and regulations, too, governing space requirements and safety factors and such, and all of that drives up the costs.

Child-care was a family function, with grandparents, siblings and cousins providing care (and also elder care), but after WW II, and in spite of the so-called Baby Boom, fertility rates actually declined as families were having fewer children, then declined again in the 1960s with the introduction of birth-control.

Add to that the fact that the number of two wager-earner families jumped from 17.5% in the 1970s to the present 63% and there are fewer family members able to provide child-care, plus the fact that society is more mobile and families are distant from each other, and, too, many families are factionalized and have poor relations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies