Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 07:59 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Choose a field that pays well. No one forces people to want to write reviews for video games as a career.

Don't get into debt over student loans. No one forces people to take on student loans. There are many, many ways to get an education without getting into debt.

Move to a place that's cheaper to live, get some roommates, save your money instead of getting the latest phone every time it's released.

Instead of focusing on how much it costs to be sick, focus on staying HEALTHY.

Stop the excuses. Good gawd.

Ok... so choose a field that pays well, BUT it needs to be one you can get into based on either no education, or education that can be paid for with the kind of job/pay that a no-education job pays ($25k/year take home, say half that for rent/food/healthcare so $12k/year). Care to name some of these jobs? I know there are a whole host of people who are interested.

Wait, I know you're thinking I'm some kid making an excuse.. nope, retired but empathetic to the troubles I see my young relatives dealing with.

Anyway, say we try #1 at the exclusion of #2... Pharmacist. It's one of the cheaper MD type degrees (though technically, it's a PharmD). 20 years ago the claimed payscale of that profession was 80~120k entry. Step into #3, live somewhere cheap (my house was $60k, my mortgage $350) and that pay, for a several decade's experienced PharmD, is below the claimed entry of two decades ago. Mind you, our mandatory healthcare expenses are in the $2000/month range (not work subsidized because that's been removed from the benefits packages).

I'm on the end of life, have lived WAY below my means for decades, with 2 "well paying" careers, and we are one medical emergency away from struggling to make ends meet. People 3 decades younger who are starting out (I know NONE! who "write reviews for video games", they are engineers, financial advisors, medical professionals, a couple run their own blue collar businesses) don't have Nearly the security and stability I enjoy.

You're thinking that the life you had, experiences you went through, are the same now as they were then. They aren't. Things have changed. Yes, there ARE worthless crybabies out there making excuses.. the "Mememememe.. ME!!!" crowd, I haven't seen any post in this thread though. You make me feel ashamed for your complete lack of empathy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 08:00 AM

3,080 posts, read 1,543,613 times
Quote:
Because they have been indoctrinated that family is detrimental to financial status, and the financial status is the ultimate goal.

What you love becomes your life. For most its money and lack of personal responsibility for others. They don't want to be accountable for anyone but themselves and do not want to compromise any aspect of their lives. (As an elder relative used to say: People who choose to not have kids are basically selfish. And it sounds harsh but it's true.)

For those who marry in their 20s and get an earlier start ... it is 100% financially doable as they are paying expenses for 1 unit instead of 2 from the very beginning of their adult lives. Since marriage has been destroyed as an option (because family has been indoctrinated as bad) people in their 20s have a ridiculous amount of unnecessary expenses.
Oh please... not having kids is the responsible action of a responsible adult. It is far from being selfish. Look at the condition of the planet. Look at the condition of most humans living on that planet. Both are in a sorry way. Look at economic levels. Look at how much it costs simply to rent a 1 bedroom apt in many major cities. Look at the price and quality of healthcare. Look at the failure of education to educate. Look at how govt wants to keep track of every citizen. Look at the failure of govts to better the living environment of its citizens.
And you want to bring kids into this world? The young are being a lot smarter than their elders were.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:01 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Not all we boomers are out of touch. Many of us recognize the unfair hand millennials have been dealt.

But Newtovenice will tell you to just try harder. Why are you only an engineer? And your friends, sloughing it off by being only chief surgeons. Why are they not also rocket scientists and tech entrepreneurs as well if they want to buy a house and have kids?

Lazy, lazy, lazy!

Basically, Newtovenice lives in a little dream world of her own making. It has no connection to reality.
Completely wrong. As usual.

I'd advise people to get into the trades. Cheaper education and livable income and better work life balance. Some specialized trade jobs make six figures. And I don't know any plumbers that are poor. Most call the shots and charge whatever they want. It's a good life them. It's not about having the most education. It's about getting an education that will PAY OFF for your life and allow you to .. oh ... actually live it.

It has zero to do with being lazy. It has to do with being smart. Would you sign up for a $70,000 car loan and just hope in a few years you could pay it off? That's what student loans are. A gamble. And most lose big on them, then whine victim status afterward.

Not sure why you bother quoting me. Your assumptions are always WRONG. Always wrong. But that;s why there's that saying ...

Old 07-27-2018, 08:03 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Oh please... not having kids is the responsible action of a responsible adult. It is far from being selfish. Look at the condition of the planet. Look at the condition of most humans living on that planet. Both are in a sorry way. Look at economic levels. Look at how much it costs simply to rent a 1 bedroom apt in many major cities. Look at the price and quality of healthcare. Look at the failure of education to educate. Look at how govt wants to keep track of every citizen. Look at the failure of govts to better the living environment of its citizens.
And you want to bring kids into this world? The young are being a lot smarter than their elders were.
So your reaction to all the problems yo mentioned is to hide in a dark room with the shades drawn. You must be fun at parties.

Stop being a victim. Good gawd.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Yeah, it is a about 'selfishness' not the fact that childcare costs $2000-3000 per month, college educations for a child cost $40-60k+ per year, starter homes cost $400k+,
renting while trying to save for a home costs $1400-2000 per month for a place big enough to fit a family, healthcare costs can drive you to bankruptcy, and the fact that we have to take care of a bunch of baby boomer parents who couldn't save enough of their money for their own retirement. Oh, did I mention you still have to pay for your own college debt that is still hanging on your bhead and still save for your own retirement on top of all of that? And here I thought the big problem according to CDs base that they constantly whine about were selfish deadbeats who couldn't afford children, have them anyway and make society foot the bill for their decision they could not afford...

Cantakerous posts like this from what is probably an old curmudgeon boomer fading away into the sunset just show how out of touch with modern society and the costs it takes to raise a family in the modern world your generation really is. Boomers, it isn't the 1970s, 80s or even 90s anymore. It was nice growing up in an age when you could go down and work at the local auto factory or lumber yard with just a high school education, buy a home and raise a family while the wife stayed home to take care of the kids. That really hasn't existed for the last 20-30+ years. Most people are a job loss or single health care complication away from financial disaster....and that is without kids.
Hey, dont paint all of us aging boomers with the same brush. Many of us know what the real world is like and we applaud our kids for being responsible adults. Doesnt matter whether is voluntary childlessness or not marrying. They are alot smarter than many of my generation.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
So your reaction to all the problems yo mentioned is to hide in a dark room with the shades drawn. You must be fun at parties.

You are the one that appears to have no knowledge of the real world. Wake up.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:07 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:

What are you even talking about? Your post makes no sense. How is that poster being a victim? He’s saying it’s responsible to NOT have kids if it’s not financially feasible? How is that being a victim? Some posters on here need to think before they pound on their keyboard.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:07 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
To find out reasons behind plummeting birth rates, researchers went out and asked young Americans why they weren't interested in having children.

And this was their reply: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/u...ld-us-why.html
What amazes me is 33% said it was because of climate change.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:12 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
You are the one that appears to have no knowledge of the real world. Wake up.
None whatsoever. Every successive post proves it.

Those of us who understand what is happening see the crappy hand the millennials have been dealt and how the simplistic little solutions offered here have no bearing on reality.

That said, it's now up to the millennials to get out there and vote for a better future. They are a huge generation. It's in their power to change things for the better. Show up in November and vote!

Old 07-27-2018, 08:15 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
What amazes me is 33% said it was because of climate change.
613, (33%) of the 1,858 people surveyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies