Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 03:15 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,522,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Live in 27. Raised in 29. The list does nothing for me, though.
Don't you mean 37, not 27 ?

Old 07-28-2018, 06:27 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, you asked.

An educated city is more likely to have engaged and qualified people at all levels of government...and many who work for free (volunteers) to further the progress of the city as a whole. They are less likely to put up with massive corruption.

Etc. etc....
LOL, that's the best one I've read in a while.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:54 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Don't you mean 37, not 27 ?
No, I live in 27. That "Pittsburgh not Paris" line comes from a speech by the president when he withdrew from the Paris Accord

Old 07-28-2018, 09:55 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
RTP NC is near the top as expected.

Yep. Between Durham/Chapel Hill at 4 and Raleigh at 11 RTP is well represented. I live in Morrisville...would be interested to see where it would fit on that list if it were graded independently. I'm assuming it would be at the very top.

Last edited by cchampagne232000; 07-28-2018 at 10:13 AM..

Old 07-28-2018, 10:03 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
My city came in at 31. I am a little surprised it wasn't higher.

(Lexington is a little blue dot of a city in a very red state, Kentucky.)

Old 07-28-2018, 05:41 PM

2,911 posts, read 2,005,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The most notable feature of that list is the very low placings of the Los Angeles and neighboring "Inland Empire" metro areas which include at least 18 million people. This is by far the least educated of the very large American urban centers. Several other California cities rank even lower. Bakersfield, Modesto, Salinas, Stockton and Fresno appear to be mostly populated by high school dropouts.
Theres way more prisons than solid universities in central california and a lot of the labor force comes from mexico. Thats why its like that.
Once uc merced becomes a large, populated campus, youll see a lot of those numbers improve.
Another thing, these numbers arent the be all end all in picking a city. I'd move to visalia(worst rated area) over a lot of higher rated communities in a heart beat. Visalia vs Flint

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 07-28-2018 at 06:21 PM..

Old 07-30-2018, 09:43 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Theres way more prisons than solid universities in central california and a lot of the labor force comes from mexico. Thats why its like that.
I don't think most working class Mexicans are aiming for their kids to go to a solid university, or any college. That isn't part of their culture.

Quote:
Once uc merced becomes a large, populated campus, youll see a lot of those numbers improve.
It's not going to do much to improve high school graduation rates. And aren't there already community colleges available most everywhere? I doubt expansion of a full fledged university would do more than nudge the numbers for "some college", etc. up very slightly in the area.
Quote:
Another thing, these numbers arent the be all end all in picking a city. I'd move to visalia(worst rated area) over a lot of higher rated communities in a heart beat. Visalia vs Flint
I agree. There are many places to live in America that are worse than Central California.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
I’m not really surprised by Dallas.

The major schools in DFW - SMU and TCU - are private, expensive, and serve a particular demographic. The other colleges are small-time and not nearly adequate to serve a population of nearly 7 million people.

Like much of the South, Dallas is not interested in educating the masses. They prefer the education - and the wealth - to stay in the hands of a select few.

The number of college graduates moving to and living in DFW is just evidence that plantations (corporations) need slaves (employees). Not that they value the quality of those slaves lives and they are certainly not interested in uplifting the masses. Dallas would rather build parks in a floodplain, useless water features in a river, and fake bridges.
Cool that Oklahoma City outranks DFW. Two public state universities in the metro do some good.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:54 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
I’m not really surprised by Dallas.

The major schools in DFW - SMU and TCU - are private, expensive, and serve a particular demographic. The other colleges are small-time and not nearly adequate to serve a population of nearly 7 million people.

Like much of the South, Dallas is not interested in educating the masses. They prefer the education - and the wealth - to stay in the hands of a select few.
That's precisely the opposite of the truth. Dallas is a place of great social mobility where wealth is far from a zero-sum game.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:24 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The most notable feature of that list is the very low placings of the Los Angeles and neighboring "Inland Empire" metro areas which include at least 18 million people. This is by far the least educated of the very large American urban centers. Several other California cities rank even lower. Bakersfield, Modesto, Salinas, Stockton and Fresno appear to be mostly populated by high school dropouts.
What popped out at me was how vastly overrated the Bay Area metros are. The sole reason it is not down there with the likes of the aforementioned California cities is the huge percentage of current population that was born, raised, and educated elsewhere.

So, when I say overrated I'm talking about the education quality available here to the natives. Generally speaking, the smart people here are not from anywhere near here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies