Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 10:07 AM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The "gift that keeps on giving." The Democrat's new shiny object. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who talks like a baby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp7V2t2lrl8
So, unemployment is low because everybody got two or three or four jobs, or because Obama already fixed it in 14'?

Why don't you pick one?

Get that 29 year old bartender a bigger microphone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 10:11 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Trumps supporters don’t seem to understand that nor do they care.
If one can't bank right now, they might want to throw in the towel. The only legit thing I see holding one back would be location. Move, the jobs are out there.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:20 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Exactly. While the Trumpsters loudly cheer about the economy, for the working class it's been slim pickins. Wages are going up very slowly and are not keeping up with inflation. All that tax cut money injected at the top is not trickling down. Again.
Maybe people shouldn't wiz away their money and future on a degree in the mating habits of snails or some other useless knowledge like that? A 2 year degree in low voltage controls or even basic electricity and electronics punches a ticket to success!

Old 07-30-2018, 10:22 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
If one can't bank right now, they might want to throw in the towel. The only legit thing I see holding one back would be location. Move, the jobs are out there.
That is something I would love to do. I know there are likely more jobs elsewhere than where I live. First I have to be offered the job. I'm not moving unless I have a job lined up. Why move somewhere with no job lined up with the risk of being homeless and hungry?

Something else. I've applied to alot of out of state jobs. Alot of companies prefer local candidates. That makes getting a job out of state harder.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:44 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
When I wanted to move to SD I got a second job at a 7-11 to guarantee I had income after I moved as you can transfer. I moved and found a good paying job within months. So, it's not that hard to do you just need to be brave.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:56 AM

231 posts, read 156,319 times
Under Obama you could not find two jobs if they wanted to.

Under Trump you can find all the jobs you want.

Obama turned America into a nation of low income renters.

Obamas 8 years income went down in all sectors forcing people onto welfare.

Trump, wages going up, taxes are down and people are buying homes again.

Unemployment is going down because of two jobs then why was this not happening under Obama?

96 million Americans were out of work and could not find a job under Obama and NOT counted on unemployment.

Obama was a walking economic disaster. Trump is fixing Obama mess.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:12 AM

977 posts, read 566,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
So, are you arguing Cortez is wrong, because im 100% sure people on your side(maybe even you specifically) made the exact same argument just 2 years ago.

Were you all wrong, or are you saying wages and the economy improved and all those people now have the jobs they want/need ????
No, I think that we're saying that her quote is insanely stupid simply because she seems to have no clue how unemployment statistics work. Suppose 95% of people who want to have jobs actually have one, and that all of them have ONLY one job. That would make the unemployment rate 5%. Now, suppose ALL of those people who have one job get a second job. What is the new unemployment rate?

The unemployment rate tells us what percentage of people who want to work have been unable to find jobs. The fact that some work more than one job has ZERO effect on the unemployment rate. Zip, zilch, nada; that's why her statement was 100% wrong.

Whether or not anything Trump, Obama or anyone else did anything to positively or negatively affect the state of the economy is pretty much irrelevant to this discussion. Cortez made a bonehead statement.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:12 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
So, are you arguing Cortez is wrong, because im 100% sure people on your side(maybe even you specifically) made the exact same argument just 2 years ago.

Were you all wrong, or are you saying wages and the economy improved and all those people now have the jobs they want/need ????

Addressing the actual premise of the thread, yes, she is wrong. She is fundamentally wrong in her assertion. People having two jobs has no impact on the unemployment rate. Underemployment is a whole different ball of wax in regards to the OP's post.

Cortez is out of her league. She just rattled off a bunch of crap that enough people wanted to hear, and made it through the primaries. For a group of politicians that claim Trump is not qualified, it seems more like they just said "watch this" and found the least qualified person that had an interest in running for office. She's really down there with Waters and Sheila Jackson Lee. If you don't see that, that's your problem. I think it's likely that enough people will see how foolish she appears and vote for someone else.

To address the first part of the video, she can't even articulate her point. I'd suspect it is because she never expected anyone to actually ask her to do as much. She probably thought it would be on to the next question without any further questioning. Is this really the kind of person you want involved in the process of drafting legislation?

Old 07-30-2018, 12:07 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
When I wanted to move to SD I got a second job at a 7-11 to guarantee I had income after I moved as you can transfer. I moved and found a good paying job within months. So, it's not that hard to do you just need to be brave.
Did you endure any homelessness and hunger when you first got to South Dakota? And where in South Dakota did you go to?

Old 07-30-2018, 04:26 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
See loveshiscountry just tried to trump people by doing a spin and to take posters away from the fact that the OP used a NRA video as fact and news and it's not. The video is bias as is the NRA.
Again, you never made it about the meat of the discussion. Instead you made it about the source. AND you doubled down on vapid when you said an interview wasn't fact when it was and made it about the source yet again in the post I'm quoting? lol You can't make stuff like this up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies