Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 07:53 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times

Advertisements

Most Americans, to include republicans, democrats, and independents, support immigration improvements.

I fully support tens, even hundreds of millions of dollars be spent on beefing up patrols, adding additional manpower to the border, buying the latest equipment and vehicles, etc.

I'm all for reforming policy to something that makes more sense as well.

I think I speak for most fiscally conservative, sensible Americans when I say I simply do not support spending $20 billion on building a "big beautiful wall."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 08:14 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Most Americans, to include republicans, democrats, and independents, support immigration improvements.

I fully support tens, even hundreds of millions of dollars be spent on beefing up patrols, adding additional manpower to the border, buying the latest equipment and vehicles, etc.

None of that matters as long as our courts rule that when we catch them illegally entering we can neither summarily return them nor detain them.

And you don't speak for anyone but yourself. The wall is fiscally responsible. It is pennies on the dollar compared to what illegals cost us. The security measures you mentioned above will cost billions.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:23 AM

62,949 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post

I'm all for reforming policy to something that makes more sense as well.

I think I speak for most fiscally conservative, sensible Americans when I say I simply do not support spending $20 billion on building a "big beautiful wall."

So you'd be opposed to fulfilling the Secure Fence Act of 2006 which was to build only 700 miles of double wall on the most porous areas of our border? How is it not fiscally conservative after I have proved otherwise with links denoting how well those walls work and comparing the costs of the wall to the annual costs of illegal immigration? A physical wall doesn't have to be paid wages, healthcare insurance, etc. for years to come as extra man power does. The costs of maintaining them pales in comparison also. Walls help the Border Patrol do their jobs more effectively just ask them.

What reform are you speaking of? Reform in leftist speak means amnesty. Um, no thanks we tried that before and now we have at least quadruple the number of illegal aliens here today.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:04 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What reform are you speaking of? Reform in leftist speak means amnesty. Um, no thanks we tried that before and now we have at least quadruple the number of illegal aliens here today.

Exactly. Anytime someone calls for "reform" on anything - immigration, taxation, healthcare, etc. - they are really just saying to change it to the way they want it. The only thing "broken" about our immigration laws is that they are not strictly enforced.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:15 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I don't know who came up with this disaster. It was made for TV for Democrats. It has all the elements of driving home that Republicans are cruel. They should not have been allowed in the country in the first place.

You don't know who came up with the disaster? How about the buck stops with the president? They should not have been allowed in the country in the first place? Really, so our laws that state that a person has the legal right to ask for asylum is what? Invalid? Hardly.
Yes visions of traumatized children in holding cells separated from their parents after an already traumatizing journey were reprehensible. It should play well in the midterms. Kudos to Ivanka for calling that ill thought out policy a disaster.

Here I go again mikeyyc with that rational fact base rhetoric. Doh! Wink and a nod. Some people only see what they want to see regardless of facts.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:31 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
A few reasons:

- First, "The Wall," as much of a farce as it is, is a key part of Trump's silly plan. So, you can't really say, "how can one disagree with Trump, aside from the stupid ideas he has?" That's really missing the point. We have a wall, for the most part, and wasting money on giant walls won't address the real issues anyway. But it will line the pockets of various people - which is very important - and put on a good show to the low-information voter. You'd be shocked how many goofballs actually think the US has no border security until Trump showed up!

- Second, Trump is a real estate sleazebag, a con artist, and known bigot well before he ran for office. He is not the type of person you should trust with anything, much less something real-estate based (building walls) or where racial aspects can come into play (immigration.) If Trump does get his silly wall, anyone want to care to guess how much money will disappear into the pockets of various connected Trump real estate cronies?

- Finally, "immigration reform" is usually just a dog-whistle for right-wing extremists who hate non-whites and immigrants of any sort. They cower behind "protecting America from illegal aliens" because the far-left is too stupid to take a rational stand on the issue and because it makes the far-right's bigotry look patriotic. But don't be fooled - it has nothing to do with illegal immigrants and everything to do with MAWA - Make America White Again. The rise of far-right, white supremacist groups under Trump is well-known and documented, and you don't have to look far to find right-wingers mouthing off about the need to "do something" about all of "those people." Yeah, they aren't making a distinction between illegals and other types of immigrants. To a right-wing extremist, anyone he runs into who isn't exactly like him is "here illegally and should be sent back to whatever horrible nation they came from." That's the level of "logic" we're dealing with here.

While I'm obviously not in favor of open borders, I am even less in favor of a backward, bigoted nation where anyone who's not a right-wing, white, extremist is reduced to a 2nd class citizen. And that is what the far-right is all about these days, their laughable claims to be "Defending America" cast aside.
so you don't have an argument against the actual POLICY the OP brought up.

Thanks for playing.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:46 AM

62,949 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
so you don't have an argument against the actual POLICY the OP brought up.

Thanks for playing.

Of course they don't. All they have are personal attacks especially against white, conservative Americans and juvenile name calling. There is nothing bigoted about wanting our immigration laws respected and enforced and the fact is that the good walls do work and there is nothing bigoted about Trump's immigration policies either.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:58 AM

4,559 posts, read 1,436,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
What about penalties for the companies that HIRE the illegals?
Yah. Funny how that is never a " tenet"

Vote Trump and his Party out or we will be living under Trumps Tenets rather than a Constitution.

Its genetic defects and nurturing that produce Dahmer, Manson, Hitler, Bundy and Nixon...and they were no more misunderstood poets than Trump is a victim of other peoples lies about him.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:06 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
There is no way to stop illegal aliens from coming across the border from Mexico without the Wall.

Everything has been tried for decades and proven to fail.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:11 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There is no way to stop illegal aliens from coming across the border from Mexico without the Wall.

Everything has been tried for decades and proven to fail.
You know what a wall will do absolutely nothing. They will go around it or under it. If you really cared about stopping illegal immigration you would demand that all the greedy farmers that hire them face stiff penalties. No work no illegal immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies