Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 05:51 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I am not a Democrat...I voted for Trump.

It took our family 12 years of waiting to immigrate from Latin America. My parents being refugees lived in four countries and never learned to read or write in any language. He worked constantly as a carpenter....and all the three kids graduated from elite public universities. So there should be some room in America for people like me.

But there is no doubt that immigration today is way to high and does need to be limited.
What are the current immigration numbers compared to emigration?

Given Trump's wishes a family with illiterate parents would probably NEVER make it into this country and therefore wouldn't have the chance to have children in our university system.

Elon Musk
Steve Jobs (Dad - Syrian)
Nikola Tesla
Andrew Carnegie
John Muir
Alexander Hamilton
Jerry Yang (Yahoo)
Sergey (Google Founder)
Albert Einstein
Joseph Pulitzer
Carlos Santana

Those are just some immigrants - if we added in others and the 2nd generation, we'd be into the many thousands of very famous people who made this nation what it is.

Right now, the official (and legal) number of immigrants is about 1/3 of a percent each year of our population - or about a million a year.

Give me the numbers you desire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 07:42 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
The US is a rich country it should just grant citizenship to those willing to live work and pay taxes. .
That's what we have now by and large. Problem is there are 50 million people who are "willing to work" and ready to come tomorrow. You start picking and choosing and you end up with what we have now. How's it going to be any different?

Old 07-29-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

While I'm obviously not in favor of open borders, I am even less in favor of a backward, bigoted nation where anyone who's not a right-wing, white, extremist is reduced to a 2nd class citizen. And that is what the far-right is all about these days, their laughable claims to be "Defending America" cast aside.
You say you are not in favor of open borders but what policies do you favor that will not keep borders open? You can't name even one.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:49 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You say you are not in favor of open borders but what policies do you favor that will not keep borders open? You can't name even one.

That's the thing about many Dems. They claim to not be for open borders but fight every possible attempt at border security and immigration law enforcement. They don't want a wall. They don't want troops on the border. They don't want illegals apprehended to be detained. They don't want job sites with illegals to be raided. They don't want cities to work with ICE. They don't want benefits denied to illegals.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

My question to the question is - why does anyone believe a serial liar who has been promising everyone in his life "the moon" for his entire career and then leaving them penniless and bankrupt? That's the REAL question for the ages - not whether some monkey can repeat talking points.
So to answer a perfectly straightforward question about borders, I have to psychoanalyze Trump over his lifetime and judge his character. Take your repressed feelings about Trump to another thread.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
What are the current immigration numbers compared to emigration?

Given Trump's wishes a family with illiterate parents would probably NEVER make it into this country and therefore wouldn't have the chance to have children in our university system.
So the immigration officer is supposed to know who the offsprings will become once they grow up as a condition for immigration? How about this? We let people in and then revisit them in 30 years. If they have offsprings of the caliber of Elon Musk, they get to stay. Otherwise, they're out.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:02 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Here are the key recommendations (excluding Wall):

1. Eliminate the lottery
2. Merit-based rather than chain/family migration
3. Eliminate catch & release
4. Toughen border security.

Democrats, please expound on the following:

1. Why do you think randomly letting in people from less represented countries is better than merit based immigration?

2. Do you disagree with the idea of a national border and that requirements to be in the country should be enforced?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...46073060634626
It’s not his policies. I agree with some of them, but he rarely follows through.

It’s his character that I find revolting. His lack of manners, despite having the blessings of being born to a millionaire, sent to the best schools, and being handed every single privilege in the world.

Instead of gratitude for his blessings, he disparages the veterans, ignores advice, doesn’t think about his policies until they have “ ratings” blowback, and embraces dictators. I forgot cheats on wives, throws colleagues under the bus, etc.

He’s not a good man.

And I might even abandon my own manners and say it to his face, given the opportunity.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:

Right now, the official (and legal) number of immigrants is about 1/3 of a percent each year of our population - or about a million a year.

Give me the numbers you desire.
Once again, conflating legal and illegal. Who is talking about legal immigration? Were it not for the flooding of the system with illegals, nobody would even be talking about caps on legals. I can't give you numbers but I can tell you the channels of immigration are totally out of whack. Picking citizenship out of a hat? Bringing in 80-year-old parents and putting them on SSI and Medicaid that they have not paid a cent into? Let me tell you a secret. The last ones wanting to live with the in-laws are the kids themselves. But no, the all-knowing politicians decided we have to have family "reunification"

Old 07-29-2018, 08:09 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
It’s not his policies. I agree with some of them, but he rarely follows through.

It’s his character that I find revolting. His lack of manners, despite having the blessings of being born to a millionaire, sent to the best schools, and being handed every single privilege in the world.

Instead of gratitude for his blessings, he disparages the veterans,.
Nonsense. Now he did get into disparaging comments with McCain but the root cause was truly political opinion differences IMO. I say that because I would challenge you to find another veteran he disparaged ever, knowing you could not provide proof he ever had.

Overall he has been amongst the most supportive of veterans. Mattis is beloved by the armed forces due to his staunch support, and who chose Mattis?

So do try to come with a vet not named John McCain ever disparaged by our POTUS.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
It’s his character that I find revolting.
Oh, have I heard that before. Did you vote for Romney? No. You could not find a more polished, civil and honorable person ever run for office but you still found a reason not to vote for him. So don't give me this faux outrage over Trump. It's not Trump. He is just not on your team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies