Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 05:10 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,222,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If you have a few million to spend on a vacation property, you are rich.
He didn't say what it was. It could be beachfront in FL for $400k or less. Maybe it's a remote cabin in Montana. Why would you need a million?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 05:14 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Everyone should get tax cuts. It's not like the government does much good with our money anyway.
True, it’s wasted on the ever failing social engineering projects.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:15 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
If you have a few million to spend on a vacation property, you are rich.
I wish. No, it is just a humble cottage getaway. Most of the increase in value has been due only to a decline in the purchasing power of a dollar - inflation. It is not right to tax people on a gain when it is really not a gain at all. I think that is what is being addressed in this proposal.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:16 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
from what I've seen - 85 of the benefit will go to the 1%. so again, the middle class will get some crumbs, but more debt passed to our children to benefit the uberwealthy while his lemmings rejoice over the crumbs....
Yes.

I've heard the stat that 50% of Americans have money in the stock market. The vast majority of those people have that money in retirement accounts.

For many of us who have other money in the market, capital gains represents a fairly small percentage of our income. My net worth puts me in the top 10% of the country, but most of my income is salary.

This potential cut is for the donor class. Trump doesn't care about the rest of the country.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:24 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I wish. No, it is just a humble cottage getaway. Most of the increase in value has been due only to a decline in the purchasing power of a dollar - inflation. It is not right to tax people on a gain when it is really not a gain at all. I think that is what is being addressed in this proposal.
That's exactly what it is.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:28 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Thank God. I was so worried about how the one percenters were gonna get through this year. Look at DeVos- she only has 10 yachts. What a brave soul.

I know. The 1% has really suffered under Trump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Only if the stocks are outside of a 401k, Roth IRA or IRA.

It's for the filthy rich real estate investors and filthy rich billionaires.

He's gonna bankrupt the country by cuttings taxes on billionaires and corporations but he doesn't care about regular people. He only cares about the uber-wealthy that afford multiple mansions across the world, private yachts, private planes, butlers, etc.

I really don't know how he could make that any plainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
If Trump could pull this off along with sweeping cuts to medicare and social security, the GOP will feel like they have gotten everything they needed from him.
That's been Ryan's plan all along.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:29 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
more tricks by the republiCONS. Always trying to stick it to the middle class. The wealthy are doing fine. Is this Trumps Trickle down part 2? Next step is to cut Medicare and social security. and that will help pay for it. they do that and that’s the final straw for most Americans.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:33 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
1 trillion in deficit spending this year alone.

No wonder the economy appears to be doing well, we're supercharging it with a credit card.

That's an idiotic argument. The interest alone is .4 trillion if he spent nothing.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:34 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,984 times
"The top 10% of American households, as defined by total wealth, now own 84% of all stocks in 2016, according to a recent paper by NYU economist Edward N. Wolff."

“Despite the fact that almost half of all households owned stock shares either directly or indirectly through mutual funds, trusts, or various pension accounts, the richest 10% of households controlled 84% of the total value of these stocks in 2016,” Wolff writes.

The Richest 10% of Americans Now Own 84% of All Stocks | Money

Seriously, let's call it for what it is - it's another tax cut for the RICH, aka. Trump's buddies/donors.

Anyone who believes otherwise clearly needs his/her head checked or is in denial.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:37 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,699,967 times
Sounds good to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies