Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 10:41 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Obviously you cant read, and hence why you get lousy raises

uhm

the median household yearly income 1970......$7600 …………..in todays (inflation )dollars ...$49,076.02

yet:
the median household yearly income 2018......$61,770.... clearly not any type of stagnation as it has surpassed inflation (cost of living or CPI)
Median household income consists of ALL INCOME EARNERS in 1 household (whatever the situation it may be... wife, husband, buddies, kids, etc..)... Get that straight. So no it's not the same and yes I can read. You think the # of household income earners in 1970 is the same as 2018? You'd be lying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 10:46 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
So instead of paying people a living wage you would rather they be a slave to a corporation?

and here is the problem...liberals cant seem to get off the page of "one size fits all"

pushing 15/hr is pushing corporatism, because that is the entities that can AFFORD 15/hr for non-skilled incompetents

7.5 is way more than living in rural Mississippi

15 wont even get you a loft in NYC....

there are 1500 different economies throughout the USA, yet liberals want to push the nationalistic ""federal""" levels for everything, the "one sixe fits all"...... American liberals continue to push fascism

Old 07-31-2018, 10:50 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
Here is the reality, at one time in this country you could get a job, doing just about ANYTHING and find your path to supporting yourself. Most people started working early 13, 14 etc and thru school or no school had start building SKILLS. If you were a kid, or teenager you worked and helped support the household and yourself from the 1940s to the 1960's and 70s.
You worked sometimes 2 jobs, paper route, fast food restaurant, janitor, movie attendent etc, sales at the many mom and papa stores. If you were older if you could afford it college and or factory work.
Then something happened all of the factory work went overseas for cheaper labor. Those shops and places closed.
Then the only jobs left were service jobs that do not pay enough to support yourself.
The solution is not higher wages for mcdonalds jobs, its MORE job options and real support and career path.

Solution Trump 2016, 2020. Jobs, with REAL wages and real work.

977 posts, read 567,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
There has been no job destruction in Australia they pay 17 an hour and there unemployment rate is comparable to ours. Seattle also passed 15 an hour and guess what Mcdonalds and other low wage employers are still there employing and hiring people most curious. Granted rich people make a little less but there still rich and they still own the businesses and the nice houses. I'm not losing any sleep over them not making slightly higher profits by screwing working people over.
Proof? How do you know that there has been no job destruction in Australia? How many jobs would exist in Australia if MW were $9 instead of $17? There's no way of knowing that.

Anyway, job destruction doesn't happen in obvious ways that you seem to think it does. For example, if MW is set at $15/hr, McDonalds is not going to say "Oh no, we can't stay in business now". Of course, they'll still stay in business. They might, though, employ 10 people where before they had 20. Those 10 employees would now be expected to perform double the workload as previously (or the service at the restaurant will slip). Investments in automation could also help shoulder some of the burden.

The other option is that they might maintain the workforce at prior levels. However doing so would necessarily result in an increase in prices. If the restaurant employs $15 people, they would now cost $150 per hour rather than $90 (assuming they made $8/hr prior). That's $60/hr in increased costs; those have to be made up somehow. A price increase would soon follow.

All that can be extended from a single McDonalds to the economy as a whole. A reduction in work force is one potential result. Those who are no longer employed will not only be hurt by losing their job, but will also be hurt because lowered employment opportunities will make it tougher for them to find new jobs. Entry level workers will also be hurt since hiring them will cost more. Employers lose the incentive that they now have to hire lesser-skilled workers, since they no longer would be able to pay them at a lower rate than the skilled workers. Skilled workers who were happy with $15/hr when MW is $8/hr no longer would be happy with their $15/hr. To retain such workers, significant pay raises would be needed. Again, increasing the cost of labor will result in lowered demand for it, so skilled workers would lose opportunities.

Even if none of this happens, what would you suppose would happen if we maintained current employment levels, but give everyone more money? Just to pick one example, people now would be able to afford to pay more money for housing. If you were selling your house, you would know this and would increase the price you ask accordingly. Therefore, the price of housing would rise. The cost of providing all kinds of other goods would increase. Without reducing labor cost by reducing the labor force, those who produce these goods will have to increase prices. How long would it be before you'd be calling for another increase in MW because "You just can't live on $15/hr"?

2,940 posts, read 1,813,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and here is the problem...liberals cant seem to get off the page of "one size fits all"

pushing 15/hr is pushing corporatism, because that is the entities that can AFFORD 15/hr for non-skilled incompetents

7.5 is way more than living in rural Mississippi

15 wont even get you a loft in NYC....

there are 1500 different economies throughout the USA, yet liberals want to push the nationalistic ""federal""" levels for everything, the "one sixe fits all"...... American liberals continue to push fascism
Here's a good one for you to justify "fairness" for since that seems like your mantra.

Why should a single filer like myself pay more in taxes than married filers? Everyone should be taxed the same, the rest of the money is on your own right?
If you have kids, that's not the government's job to to make me to pay for lowering your taxes. You are supposed to support your own children with what you've got.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:55 AM

977 posts, read 567,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
No it doesn't. You have a twisted way of suggesting everyone is compensated fairly for their "skill".

If that was the truth, the people who possesses the real skills (i.e. practical human capital such as construction workers, engineers, doctors, nurses, chefs, teachers, architects, electricians, plumbers, etc...) would be making as much as the CEOs themselves since they're the ones who possesses the REAL skills to execute and do stuff. The CEO does absolutely nothing in terms of "skills". Maybe if you can speak politically correct, point to some nice numbers, and "manage" a company, that "skill" is apparently worth millions?

Really? Then why don't YOU go and apply to your nearest Fortune 500 company for a job as an executive? Obviously you can do the job since it requires no actual skills. Or, maybe it DOES require skills - knowledge of how to effectively allocate resources, knowledge of economics, knowledge of a company's market, knowledge of how to motivate people, etc. Maybe these are skills that the CEO's possess that you do not. Perhaps that's why they are CEO's and you aren't?

Old 07-31-2018, 10:56 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Here's a good one for you to justify "fairness" for since that seems like your mantra.

Why should a single filer like myself pay more in taxes than married filers? Everyone should be taxed the same, the rest of the money is on your own right?
why should any person be taxed more than anyone else....??

why should we discriminate against singles, marrieds, heads of households, or even wage levels

tax EVERYONE the same, not on income, but on spending...

www.fairtax.org

Old 07-31-2018, 11:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It shouldnt, nor should the govt subsidize someones lifestyle. A little consistency in beliefs would be helpful in these situations.
Whats the alternative?

Either the govt or the employer are going to pay. If the 25 yr old single mother of 3 kids working at McDs full time, cannot afford the basics, she wont be able to keep working for long, eventually shes going to be homeless.

As long as govt steps in to pick up the slack, McDonalds benefits in that they have a reliable employee who is having all her needs met, but they are only paying a portion of that in her wages, the taxpayer picks up the tab for the remainder.

Maybe employers that rely on minimum wage employees, need to pay into some kind of trust, so the taxpayer doesnt have to do, if they are going to reap the benefits, they need to pay for that. There is no benefit to the taxpayer in doing this.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:12 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Posts like this only confirm my belief that the words “conservative” and “liberal” have become meaningless. They’re nothing more than stereotypes: liberals are rich coastal elites who drive a Prius, go to Starbucks and shop at Whole Foods. Conservatives live in the Midwest or South, drive big Ford F-150s, go hunting, and shop at Wal-Mart. On actual policy issues, the terms mean nothing.
You're right.

I prefer to say I "lean left" since the word Liberal seems to have such negative connotations, and I feel that in a lot of ways, I don't fit the stereotype.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:13 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
Really? Then why don't YOU go and apply to your nearest Fortune 500 company for a job as an executive? Obviously you can do the job since it requires no actual skills. Or, maybe it DOES require skills - knowledge of how to effectively allocate resources, knowledge of economics, knowledge of a company's market, knowledge of how to motivate people, etc. Maybe these are skills that the CEO's possess that you do not. Perhaps that's why they are CEO's and you aren't?
His post shows an extreme ignorance of how things work in the world. In a way, I see this attitude quite often.

I'm an engineer. I go back and forth between design and construction management. I know for a fact that my operators and laborers think I'm worthless and have no actual skills because whenever they see me I'm just walking around the project site, from their perspective. I don't actually do any laborious things. So they assume I don't do anything and have no skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies