Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2018, 07:24 PM

501 posts, read 303,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Here is a detailed analysis of what has been corroborated. It’s much more than just Carter Page traveling to Moscow. A lot of the Steele dossier has since been corroborated.
There is nothing there about corroboration. The closest it comes is this:

"We learned that when Carter Page traveled to Moscow in July 2016, he met with close Putin ally and chairman of the Russian state oil company, Igor Sechin. A later Steele report also claimed that he met with parliamentary secretary Igor Divyekin while in Moscow. Investigative journalist Michael Isikoff reported in September 2016 that U.S. intelligence sources confirmed that Page met with both Sechin and Divyekin during his July trip to Russia."

Of course since then we found out that Isikoff's information originated with (surprise!) Steele himself. What a great corroboration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 07:40 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
The defense called no witnesses? Burden of proof not met? Gee people what do you say now?

Old 08-14-2018, 07:43 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
The defense called no witnesses? Burden of proof not met? Gee people what do you say now?
LOL, .....you're not going to be happy.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:51 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
I say someone is counting on a pardon...

Old 08-14-2018, 08:06 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
His campaign chair
Obtained an illegal bank loan
From president of a bank
Who wanted the job in Trump's pervue of Sec of the Army
The guy must have thought Manafort had the stroke to make it happen to turn over 15-16 million dollars in a loan to a guy who was seriously in debt
The people at the bank knew that money was likely flying out the window w/Manafort
But the president was adamant

Whether Trump knew about it -- like he likely knew about Cohen taking money under the table to smooth the way for companies/countries to "understand" how to talk to the WH/Trump---or he didn't

Sec of the Army is under Trump's watch--
Nobody but the President has a Sec of the Army

I mean the NRA doesn't
The RNC doesn't
Exxon doesn't

So yes--
Trump IS tied to that guy through Manafort--who was his campaign manager when he made the loan I believe

Whether he knew about it or not---remains to be seen--
Think Mueller will ask him about that in addition to the Comey conversation???
All you have laid out is what if's, hearsay and speculation. Where is your smoking gun? None of this is admissible. You would need Trump on tape agreeing to part or all of this. Ort, at least an acknowledgment that he knew. Even then it's not a slam dunk. It's not what you know, it's what you can proof. Right now you got nothing.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:09 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post

While I noted that a 'pardon' was a possibility, earlier, I also noted that a Pardon was fraught with danger to President Trump.

Briefly, a person that receives a "Presidential Pardon" must, if called upon, speak the Truth.

If Mr. Manafort obtains a Pardon, he is no longer in danger of going to prison. Unless, of course, he lies in subsequent testimony.

Thus, President Trump: do I forgive Mr. Manafort for his crimes, but that will mean that he would have to testify truthfully.

About me!

I tend to think that Mr. Manafort is 'old school': he will go to prison, rather than 'rat out' his friends.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
If Manafort is found guilty I don't think he will get a full pardon. He MAY get a commuted sentence from Trump.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I think the defense is going pound away at Muller's case in closing arguments as a crime that was manufactured by Muller to pressure Manafort in an unrelated investigation and they used a closed investigation where two independent federal agencies declined to press charges 12-13 years ago. I think that is it in a nutshell and establishes reasonable doubt for an acquittal.

I may have missed it but I never found out why the IRS and FBI declined to press charges.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:16 PM

26,569 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
The defense called no witnesses? Burden of proof not met?

either that or any witnesses that could be called could potentially do more damage to the defendant on cross examination.

Quote:
Gee people what do you say now?

lets see what the jury comes back with.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:52 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Manafort is going to be acquitted
Let's hope your job doesn't require much analytical thinking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies