Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2018, 11:00 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Fresh out of law school, Kennedy joined the U.S. Department of Justice’s Criminal Division in 1951. In 1952 he resigned the position to lead his older brother John’s senatorial campaign. In 1953 Kennedy became advisor to the Senate Subcommittee on Investigations"

Doesn't look much "experience" in law to get the TOP LAW postilion, Attorney General, in the U.S. to me.

That's 'cause you don't know jack about Bobby. He spent most of the 50s busting the mob. And as AG he had a good record of going after racist civil rights violators.

Quote:
The ONLY reason he got the job is BECAUSE HIS BROTHER GAVE IT TO HIM.

And MANY on the left complain about the experiences, or lack thereof of some of Trump's people.

Like I keep saying, hypocrites to the core!
Your anger overpowers your logic.

You could learn more about it:

https://smile.amazon.com/Bobby-Kenne...+bobby+kennedy

Carry on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 11:04 AM

501 posts, read 303,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Do you have the name of the media that asked for their names, sounds like bs.
Here is the motion:

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...for-Access.pdf

Still think it's BS?

Old 08-18-2018, 11:04 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Lengthy jury deliberations is no surprise. 18 counts is a lot for any jury to chew through. The questions that were asked reveal nothing about where the jury is regarding guilty vs not guilty.

The wild card in any jury is whether or not there's a "nutball" juror. One of those hardheads who ignores the judge's instructions and tries to impose their own beliefs on the trial. The type that folds their arms and say, "I cannot in good conscience send this man to jail because..." despite the other 11 jurors using logic and reason with the nutball that the evidence is clear the other way.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:28 AM

26,574 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
....despite the other 11 jurors using logic and reason with the nutball that the evidence is clear the other way.

yep.

sat on the jury once for a shoplifting trial. situation was this:

guy shoves a pair of pants under his shirt and runs out the door. the clothing store owner sees and chases after. the thief runs across the street and into another clothing store which had just opened ( no customers had entered yet ), ditches the pants in one of the dressing stalls, which the store clerk saw, then runs out the back door, tripping over a parking curve right in front of two cops leaving breakfast next door. the original store owner catches up, the pants are recovered and the cops arrest the guy.

....... we had one jury member that believed there was a reasonable chance that there was a conspiracy against the shoplifter involving the original shop owner, the store clerk and the two cops.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:36 AM

1,070 posts, read 392,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
yep.

sat on the jury once for a shoplifting trial. situation was this:

guy shoves a pair of pants under his shirt and runs out the door. the clothing store owner sees and chases after. the thief runs across the street and into another clothing store which had just opened ( no customers had entered yet ), ditches the pants in one of the dressing stalls, which the store clerk saw, then runs out the back door, tripping over a parking curve right in front of two cops leaving breakfast next door. the original store owner catches up, the pants are recovered and the cops arrest the guy.

....... we had one jury member that believed there was a reasonable chance that there was a conspiracy against the shoplifter involving the original shop owner, the store clerk and the two cops.
Clearly obviously O.J. Simpson was not guilty of murder!

Old 08-18-2018, 12:52 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Lengthy jury deliberations is no surprise. 18 counts is a lot for any jury to chew through. The questions that were asked reveal nothing about where the jury is regarding guilty vs not guilty.

The wild card in any jury is whether or not there's a "nutball" juror. One of those hardheads who ignores the judge's instructions and tries to impose their own beliefs on the trial. The type that folds their arms and say, "I cannot in good conscience send this man to jail because..." despite the other 11 jurors using logic and reason with the nutball that the evidence is clear the other way.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:58 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
Here is the motion:

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...for-Access.pdf

Still think it's BS?
I stand corrected, never heard of jurors names being made public in any case partcularly high profile cases like this one unless they personally chose to do so.

Old 08-18-2018, 01:58 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
The US population are so politically polarized - and angry - that I can easily see at least one juror ignoring any and all evidence presented and voting his or her party - rather than the law. This is a flaw in out system that is likely to make our jury system far worse than it already is. Sooner or later, convictions will be almost impossible for political figures.

I wouldn't be surprised if Manafort gets off; no matter what the prosecution "proves."

The system is well beyond broken.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-18-2018 at 02:20 PM..

Old 08-18-2018, 03:07 PM

1,070 posts, read 392,817 times
I’m thinkin that Manafort will be found guilty of many/most charges based on the fact that the jury keeps asking for more and more info and a large room to examine all the evidence. If there is a Trump hold-out I think the jury woulda told the judge by now “we’re hung on all charges.” (Or 11 people are “forcing” the hold-out to see all the evidence and ask him to ‘explain why he thinks reasonable doubt’....LOL)

Another point: the jury asked if Manafort could be found guilty of not filing foreign bank account if he had minority ownership. He had majority ownership in all but one of the foreign bank accounts. I’m guessing that the jury is thinkin “he obviously is guilty of the not filing for his majority owned accounts, we just gotta determine if he’s guilty of not filing his minority interest foreign bank accounts.”

Just my $.01

Old 08-18-2018, 03:36 PM

37,198 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Fresh out of law school, Kennedy joined the U.S. Department of Justice’s Criminal Division in 1951. In 1952 he resigned the position to lead his older brother John’s senatorial campaign. In 1953 Kennedy became advisor to the Senate Subcommittee on Investigations"

Doesn't look much "experience" in law to get the TOP LAW postilion, Attorney General, in the U.S. to me.

The ONLY reason he got the job is BECAUSE HIS BROTHER GAVE IT TO HIM.

And MANY on the left complain about the experiences, or lack thereof of some of Trump's people.

Like I keep saying, hypocrites to the core!
You neglected to tell the rest of the story:

"He managed his brother John's successful campaign for the U.S. Senate in 1952. The following year, he worked as an assistant counsel to the Senate committee chaired by Senator Joseph McCarthy. He gained national attention as the chief counsel of the Senate Labor Rackets Committee from 1957 to 1959, where he publicly challenged Teamsters President Jimmy Hoffa over the corrupt practices of the union and authored The Enemy Within, a book about corruption in organized labor.

Kennedy resigned from the committee to conduct his brother's campaign in the 1960 presidential election."

Bobby had the chops for the job. Good book, BTW. If he was still here he could do another one on the Trump Gang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies