Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 08:49 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Pft.

Well by that thought process you don't need to pay taxes, but there are a small set of scenarios where paying taxes may be required.
To participate in the grocery buying process, you are not required to show ID. It's pretty simple.

If you participate in the economy, you need to pay taxes. If you have no income, own no property and/or never but anything... That's not participating.

These are not the same.

It's ok, it's just a bad analogy. The world will go on.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:51 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Walmart refused to sell milk to me yesterday because I had no ID.
*Standing outside Marianos* "Hey...I left my ID at home. Can you buy me a carton of eggs and a box of OJ. Here's $20."

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
The man is as smart as a slug!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/president...010316447.html

“You know, if you go out and you want to buy groceries, you need a picture on a card, you need ID. You go out and you want to buy anything, you need ID and you need your picture,” Trump said at Tuesday night’s Tampa, Fla., rally to drum up support for GOP Rep. Ron DeSantis’ gubernatorial bid.

he is at least partially correct

if paying by check...need an ID
if paying by credit card, they are supposed to match ID to CC, so need an id
if buying beer (at the grocery store/ walmart) need an ID
if buying wine (at the grocery store/ walmart) need an ID
if buying NyQuil (at the grocery store/ walmart) need an ID
if buying spraypaint (at the grocery store/ walmart) need an ID
if buying epoxy (at the grocery store/ walmart) need an ID
if buying sutifed(sp) (at the grocery store/ walmart) need an ID
if buying cigarettes (at the grocery store/ walmart) need an ID
if buying cigars, chewing tobacco, and now vapor stuff (at the grocery store/ walmart) need an ID
if buying a lighter or BBQ lighter (at the grocery store/ walmart) need an ID

so trump isn't really off... mostly correct

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Cash exists.

Therefore there is no requirement to show ID to purchase groceries.
Cash exists, but most people don't use cash to buy groceries. Cash is only used to pay for 23.1% of grocery sales. Credit/debit card or check payments are used for 69.3% of grocery sales, hence the much increased incidence of having to show one's photo ID.

http://www.nationalgrocers.org/docs/...k.pdf?sfvrsn=0

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Cash exists.

Therefore there is no requirement to show ID to purchase groceries.

It was a bad analogy. And that's ok. The world will go on.
if you're using a loyalty card at the grocery store you're showing your ID ..... cash or credit

it's pretty simple

Old 08-01-2018, 08:52 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
How old are you?

What kind of grocery store do you shop at that carries spray paint?
Rite Aid, Walmart, Target. You don't have mixed use stores near you? Do you have someone shop for you that you don't get out?

Old 08-01-2018, 08:53 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Once again anti-Trumpers don't get it. If what Trump says does not apply 100.00% of the time then he is to be ridiculed. You did the same thing in 2016 and see where that got you. Even if you don't show ID at check out every time, at some point you showed an ID to get that privilege. We get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
if you're using a loyalty card you're showing your ID ..... cash or credit
That's something you need to do to purchase groceries?

And I've never had to do that for any loyalty programs.

But for the fun of it, let's say you're correct. If I was required to do that and didn't have my ID on me, I'd simply purchase the goods sans loyalty program. And Guess what, I'd still walk out the door with my goods.

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Trump isn't exactly wrong for most cases, though you don't need to show it just by stepping into a store. Technically, you need ID on you in case police stop you. This includes when you ride your bike or walk around in your community. That said for the grocery itself it is based on purchases. Buy an R-rated movie, alcohol, cigars, cigarettes, chewing tobbaco or certain medications, you need to show ID. Also if I am not mistaken, using checks too. He is right, but only because of the police aspect.
Police can only ask for ID when you are suspected of a crime, they cannot just come up to you and demand to see your ID, you are not required to comply with that.

Think about all the crazy things we need to show ID for today, its totally unacceptable.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Once again anti-Trumpers don't get it. If what Trump says does not apply 100.00% of the time then he is to be ridiculed. You did the same thing in 2016 and see where that got you. Even if you don't show ID at check out every time, at some point you showed an ID to get that privilege. We get it.
No, I get it. It's a bad analogy.

If what he says doesn't hold true for purchasing groceries, why should it hold true for voting?

Goodness... Do people not understand how analogies are supposed to work???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies