Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 03:59 PM

13,582 posts, read 21,344,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Wishful thinking won't do anything.
I disagree positive vibes can help. But either way there is a thing of just let it go, if you don't agree sometimes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 04:01 PM

24,421 posts, read 9,287,588 times
Thoughts and prayers is a generic all-purpose go-to response that no one should be offended with

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
People get upset because it's now such a knee-jerk response that it's completely empty and without meaning. Sending thoughts and prayers. Whoop de doo. If you were genuinely concerned you'd either do something, or ask some more questions to see how you could actually help beyond an empty request to a sky friend.
some may actually take a moment in private and devout a prayer, that is not empty , it is at the very least showing concern for others.

56,990 posts, read 35,095,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I have noticed more and more on news sites that allow comments to articles, anytime someone offers prayers to something bad happening , like right now the California fires there are a certain amount of commenters who get hostile and call the other commenter foolish and and say *********your prayers and your fake "sky god" and on and on.

So what's up with that hostility? Someone in good heart just wants to offer prayer on behalf that things get better and they get pounded in hostility for it?

If you don't believe fine, but is there a need to get in someone's "face" and tell them how they are stupid and so on? Seems like those that do so have a chip on their shoulder.
Prayers aren’t working. Those of us that point this out make you angry because we’re telling the truth.

Knock of the sending of “thoughts and prayers” and do something about the problem.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:02 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,823,525 times
If someone needs to post about how hard they're thinking and praying, that's not about faith, that's about showing off how pious you are...like it doesn't count if you just do it without posting it on social media? Or you're making yourself feel like you did something when really you did not. Jesus was all about actually feeding people and healing people and whatnot, not just mouthing the words. Like, if you actually care about the wildfires, by all means pray, but also reduce your carbon footprint and if you can, donate to related causes or agencies. Share information about how others can, too.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:04 PM

56,990 posts, read 35,095,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Thoughts and prayers is a generic all-purpose go-to response that no one should be offended with
I’m highly offended by it because thoughts and prayers aren’t working!

If your car blew a tire and I suggested that you get an oil change to fix it, you’d look at me as if I were an idiot. Well, that’s how I look at you when you start up with that ‘thoughts and prayers’ poppycock. I don’t wanna hear that nonsense.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:04 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,728,140 times
People see a tragic story and they're not in a position to do anything about it but they still want to express sympathy. They don't always quite know exactly what to say so they fall back on the standard lines. "Thoughts and prayers" is thought to be the least controversial because it offers thoughts to secular people and prayers to religious people. It's simple, really, and no reason for anyone to get triggered. The people who get upset over that sort of thing are probably pretty miserable in the rest of their lives as well.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:05 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,093,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
If someone needs to post about how hard they're thinking and praying, that's not about faith, that's about showing off how pious you are...like it doesn't count if you just do it without posting it on social media? Or you're making yourself feel like you did something when really you did not. Jesus was all about actually feeding people and healing people and whatnot, not just mouthing the words. Like, if you actually care about the wildfires, by all means pray, but also reduce your carbon footprint and if you can, donate to related causes or agencies. Share information about how others can, too.
This.

“Thoughts and prayers” is token phrase and is largely lip-service.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Prayers aren’t working. Those of us that point this out make you angry because we’re telling the truth.

Knock of the sending of “thoughts and prayers” and do something about the problem.
prayers worked for me personally. It changed my life but that is a personal matter I can't prove to you. BUT this is not a discussion of whether prayer works or not, it is about those get hostile toward those that offer prayer, is there a need to get that way? I say no, just let it go in that case would be the high road.

If someone says "best wishes" , so someone says "prayers to you" it is really a positive vibe and hopeful just said different.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:06 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,236,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
some may actually take a moment in private and devout a prayer, that is not empty , it is at the very least showing concern for others.
Which is a completely different thing than a social media post "Thoughts and prayers". I agree wholeheartedly with you that it has a completely different value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies