Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 05:29 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,086,873 times

Advertisements

LMAO WTF? This for real?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkXeMoBPSDk

Old 08-01-2018, 05:38 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,765,637 times
Yea, haven't you read the RWNJ whine threads posted because Cohen is being mean to their tin foil hat clubbers?
Any political group that can let Sebastian Gorka get as prominent as he did deserves non stop derision.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:26 PM

62,686 posts, read 28,884,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Yea, haven't you read the RWNJ whine threads posted because Cohen is being mean to their tin foil hat clubbers?
Any political group that can let Sebastian Gorka get as prominent as he did deserves non stop derision.

Gee, I just love the civility and maturity of these left wing responses.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:28 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,183,320 times
The show is pure gold. It's amazing how little of a nudge it takes to get some of these folks to really show their true selves. He goes after both sides of the isle, and it's beautiful.

I don't know that he'll ever be able to pull off another seasons after so much uproar after this one.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:34 PM

5,789 posts, read 3,578,853 times
From Borat (Cohen), at a bar in Tucson. One YT video claims it was in Texas, but that's wrong. It was in Tucson.
"In my country there's a problem". Cohen is singing an anti-Semitic song to expose antisemitism. This one video says more than 50 sociological studies about the matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb3IMTJjzfo

Old 08-01-2018, 07:17 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,170,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
From Borat (Cohen), at a bar in Tucson. One YT video claims it was in Texas, but that's wrong. It was in Tucson.
"In my country there's a problem". Cohen is singing an anti-Semitic song to expose antisemitism. This one video says more than 50 sociological studies about the matter.
Cohen really exposes these people for who they really are in the video you post and in his new show. I'm not sure satire is at a low enough grade for comprehension. Funny guy though and the clip in the OP is hilarious.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:11 AM

26,996 posts, read 13,246,320 times
The building a Mosque sketch was quite amusing.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:27 AM

14,700 posts, read 8,019,060 times
I liked the Roy Moore one too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XR-aCANPDM

Old 08-02-2018, 02:29 AM

14,700 posts, read 8,019,060 times
The show is really funny, but quite disturbing at times too....I mean that there are people like that
here.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 08-02-2018 at 02:52 AM..

Old 08-02-2018, 01:53 PM

5,789 posts, read 3,578,853 times
As for Sasha Baron Cohen and his characters...

...let's get this out on the table first.

Yes, I see he's point is to expose injustices and other serious social problems. There is indeed room for using sarcasm to expose these kinds of social practices. However, I only favor this tactic as a last resort, namely against people who plainly refuse to consider how their desires and aims negatively affect human dignity or safety. Even more so is sarcasm appropriate to use against people who know the negative effects of their acts on others that are plausibly probable yet just don't give a damn. That said, this tactic does have limits.

The key questions here are, in order of importance,

1. How willfully demeaning toward others is the hurtful practice or attitude?
2. How unaware is this person of other facts or truths about this situation?
3. Is this person in a position where he or she ought to know better?

1. In the end, it ultimately boils down to a judgment call: How likely is it that the person demeaned others with that specific end-goal in mind.
2. If the person provably (or very plausibly) did not know all the relevant facts of this matter, the person should be properly informed, rather than humiliated; as that doesn't add any useful or relevant information to that person's experience, information that causes an honest person to reassess the matter.
3. It's one thing to see such narrow, paranoid attitudes in people who are half-educated, ignorant, and uncultured (as in the mosque video). But people who well-read, long-schooled, or otherwise high in the social pecking order, I hold to a different standard - especially if they are willfully setting out to hurt, harm, or demean others. This is especially true for people who are community leaders, from the "finest families in the community", or otherwise high in the social pecking order.

I say this because words can be just as powerful as bullets or fists when it comes to hurting a person. Words, gestures, etc. can more or less invite others to think "THAT person doesn't deserve my helping hands, informal information channels, and support when facing hostilities from others, etc. that let him or her better carry on the day-to-day business of living". It can also be psychologically traumatic to the targeted person, with severe consequences for that person possibly for the rest of their life. All this compels me to be very circumspect about Baron Cohen's methods, and certainly they shouldn't be used for gratuitous humiliation, as he did several times in his Borat movie about 10 years ago.

Last edited by Phil75230; 08-02-2018 at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies