Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should average automaker fleet mpg be raised to 50+ mpg by 2025, even if it causes car prices to sky
Yes 45 46.39%
No 52 53.61%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 02:58 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Smog never happened, I guess.

The clean air in major US cities is the results of decades' worth of regulatory arm-twisting.
So there is no need to make it so restrictive it becomes COUNTERPRODUCTIVE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 03:01 PM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
A big win for auto makers and big oil.

Last year the National Automobile Dealers Association spent $4.8 million on lobbying and the Association of Global Automakers spent 3.5 million. I guess it paid off.

Cadillac makes $35,000 profit on some models of SUV's. I guess that is not enough.

The profit on electric cars is only about half of gas powered vehicles.

The change in emission standards is equivalent to 600 million metric tons of carbon dioxide ― equivalent to the entire annual emissions of Canada.

It will cost the good old boys that voted for Trump between 3 and 5 thousand dollars more to fuel up their big trucks over the life of the vehicle and the oil companies get to sell an additional 12 BILLION barrels a year.

You may think its saving you money when you buy your vehicle, but it will cost you in the long run.

The rich get richer, cronyism continues, the swamp gets swampier.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:04 PM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So much for state's rights, eh Republicans? How much does this make me hate Trump supporters? Beyond measure.

That's nice. It was the same under Obama only that it just happens not to be a standard set by California .California is free to increase fuel taxes to encourage the purchase of fuel efficiencies. Of course California is also free to design a city with decent public transportation as well. However it seems that Californians love to commute for hours in traffic jams all while pretending to be environmentally responsible. They want the rest of the country to support cutting edge technology at high prices to get them out of one of one of their jams.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:04 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
With today's safety regulations, 50 MPG isn't that practical unless it's a diesel or a hybrid. It's a nice goal to have but perhaps a bit impractical. I would have made the goal 40 MPG by 2025. Keep in mind 7 years goes by very fast.. 7 years ago was 2011 and that feels like yesterday.

As far as how much profit they make per vehicle, that's down to the people willing to pay that much.. I don't pay $800 for a phone that costs them $350 to manufacture but a lot of people do. I'm still using a Nexus 6 I paid $300 for. Keep in mind this disposable culture we have where things are designed with a lifespan so you have to replace them more often. The simple act of manufacturing something like a washing machine takes resources to do. Rather than focusing on MPG we could focus on forcing manufacturers to use parts that increase the total lifespan of items so we don't have to replace them so often. Washing machines and refrigerators are big ones for this. They are literally designed to fail after X time frame.

I'll give automakers credit.. for the most part vehicles will run well past the warranty period without major issues. They don't purposely have major parts break down right after the warranty expires, though they do from time to time cheapen out on parts.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:12 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Smog never happened, I guess.

The clean air in major US cities is the results of decades' worth of regulatory arm-twisting.
No EPA, no Smog. Trumping is easy!

Old 08-02-2018, 03:15 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Trump administration revokes Obama-era fuel economy standards

Bad idea

Old 08-02-2018, 03:18 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It really isn't that big of a difference from what was expected to actually happen under Obama's standards and the new standards. Also, after the absolute nightmare that I just went through to pass that stupid emissions test, I'm applauding that CA can no longer be such militant jackarses about it. I've lived in states FAR cleaner than CA where I didn't have to do emissions at all. CA is the land of people who say they care about the environment, want to push regulations on people, want to tax to death the people in the name of "environment", will toss you in jail if you use a plastic straw, but not a damn one of them wants to get the hell out of their cars and practice what they preach.

The air is absolutely filthy in CA. You can see it. Maybe if you've lived in CA your whole life or for many years, you can no longer see it, but for someone coming in, yes, you can definitely see it. I understand the need for emissions in CA - the place is a dump, but their requirements are ridiculous.

As a side note for anyone who didn't already know this: Do NOT have anyone disconnect your battery (for example you think you'll get a tune up before emissions) or do NOT replace your battery (unless you have no other choice because it died, like in my case) just before your emissions test. You will have to do a drive cycle. In some cases, it may not take that long. In other cases, it may take hundreds of miles - so hope that you have time on your tags so that you can drive those hundreds of miles to get all the passes you need in CA.

What the car manufacturers set as their drive cycle is unrealistic in real traffic - you'll cause an accident. And not all garages will do the drive cycle in their garage...at least not without trying to charge you a very hefty price.

After going through that nightmare, I found out that about 1/3 of the population already knew, the rest of them had no clue, so I'm sharing it here.
So complain about the smog in California but cheer that they can't try to address it. That is just CLASSIC.

Republicans need to shut their hypocritical mouths before they ever utter the words state's rights again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
With today's safety regulations, 50 MPG isn't that practical unless it's a diesel or a hybrid. It's a nice goal to have but perhaps a bit impractical. I would have made the goal 40 MPG by 2025.
With fuel credits, that's what it would have been - about 40 mpg. Once again, Trump shows how pathological he is about Obama. That's okay, the day will come when we can undo Trump (and his supporters) and it will be a such a pleasure. What goes around comes around and all that.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:21 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I'm more concerned about the quality of air from vehicle emissions than I am about mpg. I don't build cars so I can't say how much it costs to design a car that gets 50+ miles per gallon. I know how well my '86 Honda did and it was pretty good @ 36mpg. If the rollback is only about mpg, then okay but if it causes air to become more polluted then no, I don't think it's a good idea.
Some years back, Honda executives noticed that the average tailpipe emissions from their cars was lower than the amount of pollution already in the air in various metro areas.

So they brought out an advertising campaign that told people, "Buy a Honda! It cleans the air as you drive."

That campaign wasn't around long. But it was a real kick while it lasted.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:26 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
That's nice. It was the same under Obama only that it just happens not to be a standard set by California .California is free to increase fuel taxes to encourage the purchase of fuel efficiencies. Of course California is also free to design a city with decent public transportation as well. However it seems that Californians love to commute for hours in traffic jams all while pretending to be environmentally responsible. They want the rest of the country to support cutting edge technology at high prices to get them out of one of one of their jams.
Republicans want to remove California's ability to set their own emissions standards. They are vomitously hypocritical. This has zero to do with public transportation. The problem is California is a very populous state. They should have the right to set their own emissions standards and 16 other states want to follow those standards. Just love how fast Republicans turned against state's rights once they got control.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:28 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Some years back, Honda executives noticed that the average tailpipe emissions from their cars was lower than the amount of pollution already in the air in various metro areas.

So they brought out an advertising campaign that told people, "Buy a Honda! It cleans the air as you drive."

That campaign wasn't around long. But it was a real kick while it lasted.
I didn't know about that but it sounds like the sort of thing Volkswagen just went through with their emissions scandal. Truth is, I hate buying cars. I haven't been on a car lot since 2002. It feels like I'm being thrown into a shark tank. Gives me chills, just thinking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies