Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should average automaker fleet mpg be raised to 50+ mpg by 2025, even if it causes car prices to sky
Yes 45 46.39%
No 52 53.61%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 07:33 PM

57,009 posts, read 25,978,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I was quoting a Trump supporter, I did not say that. Yes, the standards were 54.5 by 2025 which in actuality with credits would have made it about 40 mpg by 2025. Perfectly reasonable. This is just Trump giving big oil a massage.
It was reasonable, but as the OP indicated common sense takes a back seat to "rolling back Obama's Legacy", if they could now just bring Osama Ben Laden back to life it would be another goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 07:36 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,655,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It was reasonable, but as the OP indicated common sense takes a back seat to "rolling back Obama's Legacy", if they could now just bring Osama Ben Laden back to life it would be another goal.
Oh they would. Trump doesn't know his head from his backend but he would have oxygen outlawed if he thought Obama supported oxygen. While this makes me detest Trump and his supporters even more than I already do, I also know this will be one of the first things undone. Trump is doing this for big oil and don't forget, Kushner spent a lot of time in the Middle East since he needs money to keep his failing family business afloat.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:43 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,090,458 times
“Cancer! Cancer and asthma for everyone! Wool!”

Old 08-02-2018, 07:50 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,219,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Yep!

People still buy Chrysler products, don't they?

Let the market decide; if people want to keep buying UAW junk let them.
Does not sound very Patriotic and Pro-American to me? So if Unionized Americans build a vehicle they did not design? It is more like junk?

With the hypocritical word being tossed around here .... sounds a bit that here? Next time you visit the hospital? Guess your Unionized Nurse is inferior and that Hospital to allow a Union workforce?

I can see extending the new MPG requirements a few more years ..... but to eliminate it altogether is ridicules. Government is to look out for then common good of the majority. Money alone isn't everything ones life needs to only see what we STRIVE FOR AND OUR BEST INTEREST.

People see this requirement as adds cost.... but still lower gas consumption bills also do SAVE. But maintaining a higher gas consumption. Aids ONLY really Big oil.

Even in appliances that needed to meet energy consumption goals. Savings on electricity factored in.... still do not cost much more in less life in these appliances. Less electric consumption rise ..... saves aspects of our inferior power-grid more years and updating to keep up with still growing needs.

More factors to consider then just a retail cost one up front.

Just because we have more oil domestically to burn ..... doesn't mean using less should cease to be a goal now.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:57 PM

24,490 posts, read 33,209,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So, we should go back to the days when the greatest 'development' the manufacturers did between model years was to determine how big the tail-fins would be?
There as also a horsepower race during the era of the tail fins.

Also, features like A/C, power seats/windows/steering and cruise control were becoming more common.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:57 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,426,895 times
Trump the Vengent.

Vengence on Obama continues for humiliating him at the White House Press Dinner in 2015.

What a nothing burger character has this President.

We don't say his name in our house.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:06 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,029,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post

Republicans want to remove California's ability to set their own emissions standards. They are vomitously hypocritical. This has zero to do with public transportation. The problem is California is a very populous state. They should have the right to set their own emissions standards and 16 other states want to follow those standards. Just love how fast Republicans turned against state's rights once they got control.

Those same states could achieve the same desired result by offering tax credits and other incentives for purchasing low or zero emission vehicles.

Apparently you were so consumed by vomiting with white-hot rage over some newfound affinity for states rights that you completely (and laughably) overlooked a feasible alternative solution. This is what happens when you let your poorly-controlled emotions drag you out of reality.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:07 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,102,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Does not sound very Patriotic and Pro-American to me? So if Unionized Americans build a vehicle they did not design? It is more like junk?
I'm neither patriotic nor pro-American. I'm an anarchist.

The only thing I'm pro is pro-property rights.

Quote:
With the hypocritical word being tossed around here .... sounds a bit that here? Next time you visit the hospital? Guess your Unionized Nurse is inferior and that Hospital to allow a Union workforce?
Unions are why cops get away with shooting down people of all races with impunity.

Quote:
I can see extending the new MPG requirements a few more years ..... but to eliminate it altogether is ridicules. Government is to look out for then common good of the majority. Money alone isn't everything ones life needs to only see what we STRIVE FOR AND OUR BEST INTEREST.
It's not “ridicules.” It is not the duty of the State to interfere in the private affairs of businesses.

There is no “common good;” only the needs of the individual.

There is no “our;” this is not a Maoist collective.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:08 PM

34,173 posts, read 18,460,701 times
This has nothing to do with Obama's legacy, and everything to do with making regulations more reasonable, and common sense.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:08 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,102,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Good ol' days:
Which has nothing to do with MPGs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies