Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2018, 12:15 PM

1,094 posts, read 498,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
in 2004 I had ten years in with a Forbes company. They brought in boatloads of H1B holders and we all had to do the knowledge transfer. Many Americans were laid off. Only one guy in our work-family was vocal about it. They sent us all to a training class to learn how to be nicer to those taking our jobs. Looking back on it I applaud the coworker who was vocal. He really saw what was happening even before the rest of us. The rest is history. But also want to add, this company was bought out by an Israeli company and they had zero allegiance to anything American.

This kind of thing sounds blatantly illegal and it's amazing this was ever tolerated, I guess it shows the level of corruption in American politics that so many corporations were able to bribe US elected representatives to serve their corruption instead of, the people. It's worse than the old gilded age. This is maybe the main reason Trump got elected, not just the general election but mainly beating out all those establishment Republicans in the primaries. I mean seriously, is there any other country in the world that's actively prejudiced against their own workers, the way the USA is? And what makes worse, in the US when you lose a job you lose healthcare with it, and Americans are being drowned totally by student loans that they now can't pay off because companies just import cheap labor instead. This must be the dumbest labor policy every by a country.

Again it makes me wonder why Trump hasn't simply shut down the H-1B and similar cheap labor abused visas already, this is basically what he was elected for, especially all the Independents who voted for him. He has legal rights to do so just by demanding a moratorium, same thing he did with the travel ban, as the executive he has that power and since the abuses of the H-1B are so extreme and so very damaging to the US economy and workers, with lower jobs and wages and even then the meager H-1B wages just getting sent back overseas, Trump could argue it's a matter of national security or the economy's health to take that step. He should probably do it sooner rather than later, I suspect his re-election depends on it because again, things like the H-1B infuriate Americans all over political spectrum, esp. the Independents and that's the reason Trump won in the first place.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:11 AM

914 posts, read 641,937 times
considering all the hassles, it's no wonder. Look what he's achieved in spite of all the BS the "progressives" have put him through. He is all for us regular Americans. I cannot understand why so many people here are against him. I really love that he wants to take care of Americans first.

How can he possibly hit more issues when everyone is attacking him? He's actually fighting AND WINNING the most powerful foe of the USA: the media. Give him some space and he will fix this unfair preferential treatment. But is all about priorities. People are trying to build a case to impeach him. He needs a little breath above his neck. geez

He's always attacked by media and "anonymous" McCains. it's a true testament to his resilience no doubt. Most would have already jumped off a bridge.

I love Trump and hope he survives all the silly pouty whining people and attacks by losers who seem bent on destroying us.

It's why he won the vote.

Keep winning!

Old 09-07-2018, 12:18 AM

914 posts, read 641,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
This kind of thing sounds blatantly illegal ...

Again it makes me wonder why Trump hasn't simply shut down the H-1B and similar cheap labor abused visas already, this is basically what he was elected for, especially all the Independents who voted for him. He has legal rights to do so just by demanding a moratorium, same thing he did with the travel ban, as the executive he has that power and since the abuses of the H-1B are so extreme and so very damaging to the US economy and workers, with lower jobs and wages and even then the meager H-1B wages just getting sent back overseas, Trump could argue it's a matter of national security or the economy's health to take that step. He should probably do it sooner rather than later, I suspect his re-election depends on it because again, things like the H-1B infuriate Americans all over political spectrum, esp. the Independents and that's the reason Trump won in the first place.
why? read my prev post on this thread. but you're right. this needs to be addressed because the Indians and Mexicans and now the africans are demanding rights to take our jobs and benefits. WE REALLY NEED TO TAKE BACK OUR COUNTRY from those immigrants who come here expecting EVERYTHING ON A SILVER PLATTER for them and their aging parents who ---guest what? they get SS and have contributed NOTHING.

THIS IS WHY I VOTED FOR TRUMP.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:31 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,258 times
Trump will never sign any H1-B bill. If he got rid of them down the road, he'd lose his Mar-A-Lago $7.25 an hour employees in the fallout! What ...you expect him to pay $15 an hour! Ha,Ha,Ha!

Old 09-07-2018, 12:48 AM

225 posts, read 150,105 times
Quote:
[...] I mean seriously, is there any other country in the world that's actively prejudiced against their own workers, the way the USA is? [...]
Yes there is. Please let me re-cycle one of my posts from a different thread for this:

"[...] The same thing was done in Europe. Germany pushed for this and it manifested as the "blue-card". They whitelisted a range of very broad professions, inlcuding fields where I know for a fact that German graduates were having an extremely difficult time at landing a good job. (Source: MANGELBERUFE FÜR FACHKRÄFTE ? - Mangelberufe.de)

When one visits institutions and companies, one will see that their research-departments are often crowded with non-Germans. All the while many German graduates are stuck with doing substandard tasks for substandard salaries. The only purpose of bringing in foreigners for any position is to raise pressure on citizens to accept a declining quality of employment conditions. Period. And this holds for any developed country, for any level of employment.
"

I think this H1B-mess is a phenomenon seen in many developed countries. It usually comes with a broader globalization agenda and also serves international capital at the expense of the domestic middle class.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
[...] Again it makes me wonder why Trump hasn't simply shut down the H-1B and similar cheap labor abused visas already, this is basically what he was elected for [...]
I am with you on this 100%. However, I can report that I already did have an interview for a job with a tech company which would've gone to an H1B if not for Trump. They couldn't get the person in "due to the current political climate".

Old 09-07-2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Trump will never sign any H1-B bill. If he got rid of them down the road, he'd lose his Mar-A-Lago $7.25 an hour employees in the fallout! What ...you expect him to pay $15 an hour! Ha,Ha,Ha!
Maybe Mar-A-Lago will be able to pay 15$ an hour to American workers if Mar-A-Lago's competition will also have to pay 15$ an hour to American workers. Just a thought.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:05 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,685,867 times
Quote:
This kind of thing sounds blatantly illegal and it's amazing this was ever tolerated, I guess it shows the level of corruption in American politics that so many corporations were able to bribe US elected representatives to serve their corruption instead of, the people. It's worse than the old gilded age. This is maybe the main reason Trump got elected, not just the general election but mainly beating out all those establishment Republicans in the primaries. I mean seriously, is there any other country in the world that's actively prejudiced against their own workers, the way the USA is? And what makes worse, in the US when you lose a job you lose healthcare with it, and Americans are being drowned totally by student loans that they now can't pay off because companies just import cheap labor instead. This must be the dumbest labor policy every by a country.

Is it so simple to shut it down by an executive order ? Even their so called proposals to limit the abuse of H1B visa are facing difficulty to get implemented. Some Judge will bring stay order and it will be back to square one.

We need to look at Immigration Act of 1990 which was brought in during George H W Bush administration. Lot of things like Border Wall funding, Dreamers, Diversity Visa Lottery, H-1, L-1 are all entangled together. It is upto the Congress only to eradicate this but there will be lot of Give and Take !!!

At most Trump can do is to make it difficult for companies to apply for H-1B visas but not eradicate them.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:33 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,943,417 times
He won't do it for the same reason previous presidents wouldn't- because he's owned by big business and they don't want it to happen.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:32 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
Like my other employers who use subcontractors have found out it’s cheaper to use a lesser cheaper worker and repair the damage when it happens with a good worker than hire all top notch and never have any damage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.