Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 06:01 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
His priority is ms13 not l1 and h1b
Trump resorts use H2B visa workers--
He won't be trying to stop that

Old 08-07-2018, 04:55 PM

1,094 posts, read 498,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedog9 View Post
He can't do much...he will make an executive order then someone will sue and a judge will reverse it. Look at DACA and the travel ban
My gut-sense about H-1B law is it's much easier for Trump to reduce it over put a stop to it through the fed regulations since it's more bureaucratic, and since the law as written for the H-1B is already super-strict. Trump can just claim to be enforcing the law as written, and reducing or even basically shutting down the H-1B, and a judge woudln't have grounds to toss it out because Trump would be in-line with the technical demands of the law, and because Trump wouldn't be discriminating against a particular country or countries, it would be a general attack on the H-1B as a way to up-hold the strict screening demands of the law and economy conditions. What I think made DACA and travel ban tougher and led the judges throw them out, was, those executive orders were targeting specific countries or cultural groups, so the judges could say that was open discrimination. Even then, at least watered down version of the travel ban did make it thru Supreme court. So if even that can get through, then bureaucratic restriction of H-1B through executive order is pretty easy.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:33 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,655 times
Raise act

Old 08-07-2018, 07:38 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Sign up to get daily email updates and you will be the first to know anything that's happening in the White House.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/

Subscribe to the White House youtube channel for more instant information. When there are press briefings, Sarah Sanders always reads the list of what happened that day and what is planned for the week. She does it first thing, before taking questions from the toddlers, er, press.
https://www.youtube.com/user/whitehouse/videos

Old 08-07-2018, 11:37 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Sign up to get daily email updates and you will be the first to know anything that's happening in the White House.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/

Subscribe to the White House youtube channel for more instant information. When there are press briefings, Sarah Sanders always reads the list of what happened that day and what is planned for the week. She does it first thing, before taking questions from the toddlers, er, press.
https://www.youtube.com/user/whitehouse/videos
This is an useful resource. Last week there was an act passed named ~ Carl E Perkins act which provides grants for high schoool students to take up STEM education.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
He has not done anything. My entire neighborhood is H-1B visa holders and they are still working as usual. They don't make low wages though. They all make 6 figures. Maybe they'd pay an american 25% more but these guys are still making bank.

Note, this is actually why I don't like these programs. For most of these jobs these companies can find an American to work in their positions. Americans should be "making bank" and not these immigrants. 25% more would be a huge boon to our economy and would stabilize American families.

Didn't read the whole thread but I do remember reading about there being some limits placed on H-1B visas by the Trump administration but that was a while ago and not sure if it was followed through on.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:27 AM

1,094 posts, read 498,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He is expanding them, since they are "merit based". This is a complete reversal from that he said on the campaign trail.

I recently visited a client where 19 out of 20 IT employees were from India, and that included programmers, managers, directors and VPs, so of course they'll sponsor visas for more of their countrymen. The only American I spoke to was the guy who configured the laptops to be handed out to new employees. While in his quarters I saw 15-20 laptops already prepared and they had post-it notes on them with Indian names on them. All the new hires were Indian.
I talked to one of my tech-industry relatives about what you mentioned with this particular ocmpany earlier in the week, and he pointed out that the company you're describing is plainly, flagrantly breaking the law. In fact so flagrantly that this is the sort of thing that would have gotten them shut down even during the Obama and Bush administrations, when the White house was more likely turn a blind eye to the H-1B rule violations like what Disney did in laying-off their tech workers. I see what you're saying and I'm not sure what to believe about Trump's actual stance towards the H-1B, but apparently according to my cousin, there is at least now an office where people can report flagrant violations of H-1B rules and shut down companies like this. And this apparently is happening, as the Justice dept,, or whichever government branch investigates this, has been heavily fining and shutting down many corporate violators of the law. I don't know if Trump himself is pushing this, and from what you're saying I have my doubts, but Sessions at least, IIRC is an open enemy of the H-1B, so he might be the one responsible for creating this complaints office. (I didn't get the details, but you can apparently leave a citizen's complaint, or an anonymous tip about the company doing this, and the Justice Dept. will investigate them). In this case, the company is so flagrantly going against law that the Justice dept. would have an easy time going in and shutting them down, maybe even putting some of the execs in prison for it to make an example, so you could probably have an impact by reporting the lawbreakers here.

Incidentally my relative is Asian-American himself (I basically have a Filipino-American branch of the extended family) and in my observation, Asian-Americans hate the H-1B more than about any other group. They're more likely to go into STEM, including Indian-Americans and so have student loans, so they're rightly very angry about the way the H-1B is hurting their careers and earning prospects. Ir really seems like everyone hates the H-1B except the corrupt and short sighted executives and their lawyers who are pushing this policy.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Democrat Logic.....
  • Trump is bad for trying to stop illegal immigration.
  • Trump is bad for encouraging legal immigration.
Has to be seen to be believed.

On the above I honestly have no issue with the administration limiting illegal immigration. However, IMO limiting these legal immigrants who are brought here specifically to be overworked and be paid less than American workers could have been paid, is more of an issue for me. I'd rather these positions be available to American workers. I honestly don't see the need for many of the job categories to even be eligible for H1-B visas. Especially in IT IMO we have enough STEM professionals here who are American citizens to fill jobs.

Many of the companies use visas to lock in those employees to limit them from getting a better paying position. If more IT companies paid better wages and especially had better benefits for their American employees, they wouldn't suffer with labor shortages.

I'll note that IT used to be a category I managed for supply chain at a previous position and we often hired IT contractors to perform services for our clients. Many of those companies were owned by foreigners and often the clients would fire the American workers who they had on staff to hire these contractors. Those American companies that hired contracted workers, often underpaid their employees/staff versus what those workers would have been paid if they'd been hired directly by the organization (not a contractor). Contractors rarely made more than $15 an hour when I did this work.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
I talked to one of my tech-industry relatives about what you mentioned with this particular ocmpany earlier in the week, and he pointed out that the company you're describing is plainly, flagrantly breaking the law. In fact so flagrantly that this is the sort of thing that would have gotten them shut down even during the Obama and Bush administrations, when the White house was more likely turn a blind eye to the H-1B rule violations like what Disney did in laying-off their tech workers. I see what you're saying and I'm not sure what to believe about Trump's actual stance towards the H-1B, but apparently according to my cousin, there is at least now an office where people can report flagrant violations of H-1B rules and shut down companies like this. And this apparently is happening, as the Justice dept,, or whichever government branch investigates this, has been heavily fining and shutting down many corporate violators of the law. I don't know if Trump himself is pushing this, and from what you're saying I have my doubts, but Sessions at least, IIRC is an open enemy of the H-1B, so he might be the one responsible for creating this complaints office. (I didn't get the details, but you can apparently leave a citizen's complaint, or an anonymous tip about the company doing this, and the Justice Dept. will investigate them). In this case, the company is so flagrantly going against law that the Justice dept. would have an easy time going in and shutting them down, maybe even putting some of the execs in prison for it to make an example, so you could probably have an impact by reporting the lawbreakers here.

Incidentally my relative is Asian-American himself (I basically have a Filipino-American branch of the extended family) and in my observation, Asian-Americans hate the H-1B more than about any other group. They're more likely to go into STEM, including Indian-Americans and so have student loans, so they're rightly very angry about the way the H-1B is hurting their careers and earning prospects. Ir really seems like everyone hates the H-1B except the corrupt and short sighted executives and their lawyers who are pushing this policy.

I agree with the bold. I also have in-laws who are Asian and some from African nations who work in IT and who are American citizens and they also don't like these programs due to them hurting their careers. Black Americans also don't like them for the same reason as there was a push for the past decade to get more black people in STEM and those that took the bait now cannot find a decent paying career due to the influx of these visa workers in the field.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:21 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
He has not done anything. My entire neighborhood is H-1B visa holders and they are still working as usual. They don't make low wages though. They all make 6 figures. Maybe they'd pay an american 25% more but these guys are still making bank.

they prob make decent money- but not as much as a non H1B worker should make. It's an artificial ceiling for wages for good white collar upper middle class jobs we should be fighting for- this is where we should be focusing efforts, not on tariffs to bring back steel jobs by the handful. This is an abuse to artificially suppress wages and take away the kind of jobs we should be fighting for in 21st century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies