Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is racism a big factor in keep minorities down?
Yes 62 34.83%
No 116 65.17%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 08:12 AM

37,939 posts, read 17,761,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
While actual racism does not exist at any level similar to how it did in the past, it does seem that, from decades of anecdotal evidence, racial tensions seem continually higher than in the past.
I think the age of information and the plethora of media makes it seem more prevalent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 08:15 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,762,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So, are you saying you still allow the past to control your present, and future, ie the attitudes of "White Supremacy", and institutional White Supremacy post the 1964 Civil Rights Act? How many decades, or centuries will it take to put both slavery, and institutional racial prejudice behind the Black Community?

Progressives today accuse Whites of having "Unconscious Racism". Like Original Sin, we are born with it, and really can not do anything about it. We may never have a conscious racist thought, nor commit a racist act, but yet we are still racists, and GUILTY. The promoted cure is a plethora of government mandated restrictions, programs, and Affirmative Action, but even those won't cure us, nor alleviate our inherent Racism.

No - I'm saying white supremacy as an ideology is at the heart of all the debates here and around the country and in the media that seek to show black people as having a bunch of problems.

I'm saying I recognize this fact - that white supremacy is around. I also recognize the fact that a lot of black people embrace the ideology of white supremacy, which is why they agree with/cosign these "problemizing" debates about us as a demographic.

Also, as I noted - it is naive to believe that 50 years will dismantle white supremacy ideology. If it has been over 300 years since it cemented itself in our country, IMO it will take at least another 200 for it to decrease another huge degree.

During this time, IMO it is in the best interest of a majority of black people to do as I have done - recognize these discussions/debates are based in white supremacy ideology. For those of us who have embraced this ideology - we should encourage them to get some psychological help to overcome this. One's view of ones-self and your abilities and the view of your people is important. If you think you have something to prove to a white person or society at large by being a "better" black person because of statistics or discussions about your family structure or some white person saying black people are ignorant - that is a motivation based on viewing yourself as inferior and it will keep you upset and angry that no matter what you do - you are still viewed as "less" than or your people are viewed as "less" than other people. It is better to leave those who adhere to white supremacy in their own pyschosis. And become more involved in and knowledgeable about your culture as a black American and take comfort in the triumphs of our ancestors and cultural icons - study them as there is a wealth of information that we can use to truly become aware of what white supremacy is and how to not let it impact us as much.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:19 AM

50,106 posts, read 46,699,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
No - I'm saying white supremacy as an ideology is at the heart of all the debates here and around the country and in the media that seek to show black people as having a bunch of problems.

I'm saying I recognize this fact - that white supremacy is around. I also recognize the fact that a lot of black people embrace the ideology of white supremacy, which is why they agree with/cosign these "problemizing" debates about us as a demographic.

Also, as I noted - it is naive to believe that 50 years will dismantle white supremacy ideology. If it has been over 300 years since it cemented itself in our country, IMO it will take at least another 200 for it to decrease another huge degree.

During this time, IMO it is in the best interest of a majority of black people to do as I have done - recognize these discussions/debates are based in white supremacy ideology. For those of us who have embraced this ideology - we should encourage them to get some psychological help to overcome this. One's view of ones-self and your abilities and the view of your people is important. If you think you have something to prove to a white person or society at large by being a "better" black person because of statistics or discussions about your family structure or some white person saying black people are ignorant - that is a motivation based on viewing yourself as inferior and it will keep you upset and angry that no matter what you do - you are still viewed as "less" than or your people are viewed as "less" than other people. It is better to leave those who adhere to white supremacy in their own pyschosis. And become more involved in and knowledgeable about your culture as a black American and take comfort in the triumphs of our ancestors and cultural icons - study them as there is a wealth of information that we can use to truly become aware of what white supremacy is and how to not let it impact us as much.
There are racists in every race. Don't kid yourself. Lets just acknowledge it and move on. It isn't a hurdle to success anymore.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:19 AM

37,939 posts, read 17,761,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Since black UE was lower than white UE until around 1930 doesn't that mean there is more racism now?

Old 08-03-2018, 08:23 AM

52,329 posts, read 34,057,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I saw a video on Instagram Wednesday of a guy pulling up next to a black man at a red light and calling him the n-word 8 times.

Racism is alive and well in this country, there are millions of Americans who hate blacks, and/or Hispanics, and/or Muslims.
your one-guy video is clearly proof of 'millions'.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Which institution is racist? I can't fight it if I don't know.

Agreed

What would be those remnants and which institution still has them?

Agreed

Can you provide examples?

But facts don't have emotions.

Aren't the problems the same for every group but impact blacks the most, then Hispanics?

But blacks are the least educated, they are the worst at staying together as a family. Those are facts.

Facts aren't racist.

Ignoring the truth or stifling discussion is what keeps individuals down.

Your entire white supremacy argument is racist. As if there are a significant number of white people keeping minorities down.

I'm only going to respond to the blue because it is an example of exactly what I mentioned in the post you quoted.

Today, anytime someone mentions a color/race - another person will automatically claim said discussion or said person is a racist.

FYI - white supremacy ideology is an ideology. It does not mean "white people." You are being way too overly defensive.

My post was specific to the fact that white supemacy is an ideology. That BLACK people actually embrace and buy into white supremacy ideology. Us as a demographic doing this is our primary problem, yet you'd have us believe it is some other superficial trait - like out of wedlock births or buying gym shoes lol.

White supremacy ideology is "racism." Black people viewing themselves as inferior is them having racist views of themselves. Them doing so is based upon the over 300 years of white supremacy ideology being in this country - this ideology is still prevalent. This ideology is the basis of deeming black people as "problems" from a variety of factors. When you realize that we are not problematic today to any wide degree and that the past problems were/are based on institutional racism and white supremacy - then that is when it will not "keep you down."

You seem to have the belief that the mentioning of "white" is something for you to attack about or get defensive about when I am speaking specifically of a sociological ideology that has been studied and verified to be psychologically exhibited in the behavior of black people. Look up the "doll test" from the early 1900s an the more recent one from the 2000s which showed the same results with black children - they still view themselves as ugly and less than white people - for me - that is a problem. That is a symptom of them adhering to the ideology of white supremacy. So in this respect - we as a demographic are still embracing the ideology of white supremacy - this can and does keep us "down."

Old 08-03-2018, 08:25 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,876,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanLoyalist View Post
Nope. Before blacks it was the Irish,they overcame and are now a normal every day part of American society and just like the rest of us. Sooner people throw off the woe is me yoke and learn to WORK for what you want no matter how hard it is the sooner they can benefit from that hard work.
Yup. As racist as it gets. Poor Irish. I wish them well.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Since black UE was lower than white UE until around 1930 doesn't that mean there is more racism now?

I mentioned that people who seek to embrace white supremacy ideology will use their statistics and studies to try to problemize black people....

I don't believe that any statistic tells the whole picture. I also am very knowledgeable about 20th century black American history and I know for a fact that in every major urban area that black people could not obtain jobs in all fields. Someone picking cotton in 1930 making 2 cents a day isn't better off than a white person getting welfare cash assistance in the Depression (note black people were not allowed to get welfare initially with welfare programs).

Also, statistics prior to the 1940s really aren't all that reliable. I wouldn't base any ideas about black or white or any other Americans on 1930s UE rates.

Black people were getting lynched in 1930 yet there were never any whites arrested, charged or convicted in over 98% of these cases - so them not being included in those statistics, would that make you think that white people didn't lynch anyone?

As stated in my previous post - I am not one to buy into the "proof" of anything that seeks to continue the narrative of white supremacy/black inferiority. It is very strange to me that you consistently speak of 1930 UE rates and don't take the historical period into account when it comes to black Americans of that era. In many parts of the south in the 1930s blacks were forced by white people to work in fields just like they were slaves still. Black people had to "run away" to move north during the Great Migration from specific communities/states like Mississippi.

In 1927 various states forced black people at gunpoint under the threat of death to clean up communities after a devastating flood of the Mississippi River. You probably think since they were employed that they were somehow better off doing this work under threat of death at gunpoint than someone who got laid off from their job today is what I think when I see your posts about UE rates of black people in 1930. I think of forced labor and share cropping. What sorts of jobs do you think about these black people doing? What sorts of conditions do you think these people were working under to where you continue to use this statistic as if it proves anything of relevance in regards to the work ethic of black people. Black people in this country are not lazy and have always worked. I dont need UE rates from 1930 to know anything about myself or my people and our work ethic. We have always been the hardest working demogrpahic in this country both voluntarily and involuntarily.

ETA: forgot to add - no that doesn't mean racism is more prevalent today - the UE rates being less IMO means more black people were being forced to work under threat of death or harm to their families/communities. This was common in the 1930 - some white person or white owned industry having a need for laborers and them going out and forcing black people to work for them - especially in dangerous/back breaking positions where whites didn't necessarily want to work. Everytime you post something about 1930 UE rates, sorry but it honestly shows me that you are ignorant about black labor conditions in the 1930s. To think that all the blacks back then were all happy to go work for 80% less than a white person or that they weren't being threatened with harm during that era in relation to them refusing to work, to think that they weren't being threatened for daring to apply for/educate themselves for/ or advocate for an opportunity to work in a higher level position or to own their own company and get the same rates as white companies in pay - it is also naive and I don't mean to insult you in regards to stating that that is an ignorant view, but it is to me. Ignorant means "not knowing" and I'm hoping you are just not aware of black labor conditions in America. They didn't improve to any wide degree until the end of the CRM and especially not in regards to wages paid and even today black people often are paid less than whites with the same education/experience for specific positions.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 08-03-2018 at 08:47 AM..

Old 08-03-2018, 08:39 AM

25,362 posts, read 18,504,218 times
This question is in the same vein as "Hey Frank, have you stopped beating your wife?"

New Feature in My Posts:
For those who are unable to process literary allusion, satire, sarcasm, symbolism, or otherwise sardonic content, the above is pointing out, via similar example, that a question can be framed with an implicit presupposition that is perhaps not true. What if Frank never beat his wife? What if minorities are not kept down? This is called a "complex question logical fallacy," or, "loaded question."

Old 08-03-2018, 08:41 AM

13,802 posts, read 5,517,576 times
Given that blacks occupy exalted status inside the affirmative action/hiring quota/college admission framework, not only are they not "kept down" but they are actually singled out for the greatest amount of assisting in "rising up."

That they do less with that institutional advantage than others do without it cannot be blamed on racism, since institutional racism is what gives them their institutional advantage in the first place. Basing hiring and college admission preference on race is, in fact, racial discrimination, and since the early 1970s, that preferential treatment in favor of blacks first and then Hispanics second has conferred favored status.

Instead of always comparing an entire race demographic on one or two simple metrics, examine the factors between people of different races who are all at the lower rung of the socioeconomic ladder, and see what they have in common to identify what individual cultural, environmental and personal choice factors could lead to negative socioeconomic outcomes.

For example:
  • Single parent household, with mother as parent and no father present?
  • Single parent household where parent has only high school diploma or less?
  • Average household income ad education level of immediate neighborhood?
  • Prevalence of alcoholism and drug addiction in the immediate neighborhood?
  • Out of wedlock and teenage pregnancy rates?
  • Etc.
What you'll find is that poor people, of any race, share a ton of cultural, environmental and personal choice factors. And you'll find that wealthy/successful people also share a ton of cultural, environmental and personal choice factors.

So the next question to ask is why a higher percentage of black people experience/choose the more negative cultural, environmental and personal choice factors? White people, as a race, are not the reason the single mother household rate is ~70% in the black demographic. Racism by whites do not force black men to impregnate black women and then disappear. So what does? That's the question to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies