Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is racism a big factor in keep minorities down?
Yes 62 34.83%
No 116 65.17%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 07:43 AM

139 posts, read 107,935 times

Advertisements

And before I bow out I just want to note that I am AA woman, HHI generally in top 5%, ‘IQ’ for whatever the hell that’s worth is >130 and I think most people on this thread are full of bull****. Racism has, without question,held my people down, and its effects continue to do so today.
This shouldn’t even be up for debate.
Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 07:44 AM

139 posts, read 107,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Most of what you posted here has to do with economics and income inequality, favoritism than racism except for a couple of nuances that the government supported such as white flight, war on drugs, and red lining.
Wrong.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:47 AM

13,853 posts, read 5,564,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellorebecca View Post
This shouldn’t even be up for debate.
Everything is up for debate, especially outdated, rent seeking memes about institutional racism that are factually incorrect appeals to emotion/sympathy.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:48 AM
miu

17,765 posts, read 40,091,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofor View Post
Yes, racism exists and impacts minorities making life tougher.

i find it amusing that the same people that tell minorities to get over racism complain 24/7 about the liberal media keeping them down and about law enforcement being unfair or biased against Trump. Nope, no bias in how police deal with black people, but that FBI, whoa boy, everything and everyone is biased with them.

Somehow the straight white christian male holds 90% of the power in this country, and still thinks that he is the most discriminated against. If only us white males could catch a break. Them minorities, they just don't understand how tough life is for us.
The white Christian males who hold the power in this country are...

1. Have at least a college education.
2. Most likely hold an MBA from a top business school like Harvard Business School.
3. Read and write extremely well in business English (no ghetto slang).
4. Wear appropriate business suits and ties to the office.
5. Have a stable personal lifestyle. Married with children. No baby mommas. And if they get divorced, they pay alimony and child support.
6. Tend to be workaholics and not bringing personal dramas into work with them.

As to your comment about police and black people, well look at the mess that is Chicago. Those neighborhoods will never be fixed as long as black people keep complaining about how the police treat them. We have the same problem in Boston, although on a much smaller scale. We have a lot of unsolved black murders, but it's NOT the police's fault. No one in the black community will help the police solve these murders because of their stupid "no-snitch" attitude. Yet they all know that it was a black person that killed the victim... then the black community complains about profiling. The police can't do their job properly when the black community is being so unreasonable.

And maybe it would help the good quality black boys and men if they stopped dressing, walking and talking like the street thugs that they live around. Black men have to stop being racist and being so anti-Uncle Tom, and instead be more like Obama or Taye Diggs.

And for many years, all of my favorite TV shows (all the NCIS shows, Elementary, Murder in the First) are extremely diverse with many positive role models for minorities. Many blacks in roles of leadership and high skill levels.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:50 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
Nonsense.

Take 20 dirt poor East Asian immigrant families and place them into the same economic conditions as 20 Mexican Immigrants. Follow them for 2 generations, and you will see a trend. The Asian immigrants will have less fatherless children, less drug and alcohol problems, and will be more educated as a whole because of their culture. If you say that it's not culture, than the only explanation is genetics which makes you a racist.

I say this as a Hispanic man that knows Mexican culture quite well.

I said "poverty" is not a culture....

And in regards to your comments about the superficial in regards to "fatherless children, drug and alcohol problems," if that is the case why do Asians suffer more from poverty in NYC than black Americans or Latinos who have more single parents (children are not "fatherless" just because they are born to a single mother BTW). They have less of all those, many have been in this country for more than 2 generations, yet they still suffer from poverty. Same can be said in other areas in the southern and western portions of the US. This is also the case in Boston where Asians are more poverty stricken than black Americans. Same in Minnesota as well in regards to the Hmong population in particular. Poverty is an economic condition that is very difficult to get out of because when you live in a poverty stricken family there are many more incidents and situations that you have to deal with to survive versus people who are not in poverty.

Poverty as an economic condition, unfortunately is often times something that is very difficult for people to get out of. People born in to a poverty stricken family oftentimes don't make it out of poverty same as those born wealthy, will usually grow up to be wealthy and not poverty stricken no matter their personal choices with life (on drug abuse will note that wealthy people just just as much drugs as poor people).

Old 08-09-2018, 07:52 AM

27,427 posts, read 28,498,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
Cointelpro
War on Drugs
White Flight
Redlining
Gentrification
Gerry-mandering
Mass Incarceration
Privatized Prisons
Mandatory Federal Minimum Sentences
UNICOR
If you don't do illegal drugs and don't commit crimes, then half of this list doesn't even affect you.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellorebecca View Post
You’re so far behind the (international, scholarly, dialectical) conversation on racism, its like a 6 year old trying to keep up with the dinner table talk of his parents. So I think a similar response may be appropriate:
‘Dont worry about it, sweetie. These are things you may understand someday.’

I agree on the OP lol. Which is why I won't respond to anymore of their post. The idea that racism is worst today because of 1930 UE rates actually did remind me of a conversation with a 3 year old. Honestly my 9 year old is more well versed on the subject of racism than the OP seems to be.

Sad when people post a question just to re-assert their bizarro worldviews or social views. I'd think if someone is asking a question, they'd be open to considering the responses of the people they are asking instead of just doing a toddler-ish name calling session. It seriously reminds me of interactions with my 4 year old nephew lol.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:58 AM

5,768 posts, read 3,209,279 times
In recent years the only news that is presented on network TV is about sex, race, and murder. Racism is reported on constantly to keep us distracted and divided.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Yes racism exists and white supremacy exists, however America has changed. America has recognized such institutional practices such as slavery, land removal acts, internment camps, red lining were all wrong. Institutional racism is dead in this country. Institutional racism is dead, but personal racism still remains, and their is nothing the government can do to make personal racism illegal. Institutional racism is far more worse and far more dangerous than personal racism. Personal racism one can brush it off, while some can not. If someone is personally racist to me, I can either ignore them, or ignore their business. I have better things to contend with.

Here in NYC, a Chinese nail salon get into with a black customer who did not want to pay for service in regards to a 5 charge. The black woman got physical with the Chinese woman, and the Chinese women started bashing some of the black women in the establishment with sticks. Now the black community in Brooklyn are protesting the establishment which is now shutdown. How can you protest and boycott a Chinese immigrant business, but at the same time those protesters eat Chinese food for dinner? You are giving money to the very same people who are against you. Instead of spending money with people who don't like you, why don't such people build their own establishment for their own people instead of complaining about racism.

On the Chinese saloon story - I've read about it and seen the video. Seems that the young women in question, she didn't want to pay because the worker messed up her eyebrows with wax. The situation escalated from there and the craziness ensued.

That said, I think it is silly to believe that all black people in NY should now not eat Chinese food because a couple Chinese people got into it with a black customer. IMO the protest, if they feel it is warranted, should be directed specifically at that business, especially if that particular business has a history of treating black customers poorly.

As a black woman, I don't think all Chinese people "are against me." Some may be, but the vast majority are not. I don't frequent a lot of Chinese restaurants in particular as I feel that most of them don't serve authentic Chinese food, but the ones I do go to - they are great businesses and they have very professional and friendly owners/staff. I'm not going to judge an entire ethnicity based on a few people of that ethnicity doing someone of mine wrong or fighting them or whatever.

It is better to be focused on that particular business. There are many Chinese business owners who welcome black customers.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you don't do illegal drugs and don't commit crimes, then half of this list doesn't even affect you.

It can affect your family. Also, I know many people who have been arrested for supposedly doing drugs (including my own spouse) who don't do drugs and whose charges were dropped and subsequently expunged - but in regards to my spouse, we had to pay to have those charges expunged and if one doesn't they can negatively impact your job opportunities. Some people falsely arrested because of the over-policing of black neighborhoods, do not have the money to pay to get these charges removed or they donj't know that an arrest shows up on their "criminal record."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies