Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is racism a big factor in keep minorities down?
Yes 62 34.83%
No 116 65.17%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 08:56 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times

Advertisements

Racism is not keeping minorities down

If there is one country on earth you want to be a minority in, its America. There’s no such thing as race quotas, affirmative actions, military benefits, civil rights era, section 8 housing, WIC, EBT cards, rent controlled housing, equal opportunity employment, hate crimes, and 8 years of a black man as head of state in any other 1st world developed country on EARTH.

If you can’t make money in a country where college dropouts can make millions for shooting a basketball or high school dropout musicians can make money from rapping the n-word with the n-word or where a boxer who can’t even read and never graduated from high school is massively rich, then that’s your own damn fault.

Get off your lazy ass butt and do something the world wants done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 06:17 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

If there is one country on earth you want to be a minority in, its America. There’s no such thing as race quotas, affirmative actions, military benefits, civil rights era, section 8 housing, WIC, EBT cards, rent controlled housing, equal opportunity employment, hate crimes, and 8 years of a black man as head of state in any other 1st world developed country on EARTH.

If you can’t make money in a country where college dropouts can make millions for shooting a basketball or high school dropout musicians can make money from rapping the n-word with the n-word or where a boxer who can’t even read and never graduated from high school is massively rich, then that’s your own damn fault.

So, when two people show up for the same job... One white, one black... but the white guy gets they job even though he is slightly less qualified, then it must be that the black guy was lazy, eh?

Or is it that in your world, this never happens and people are just making stuff up?

Old 08-11-2018, 06:37 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
So, when two people show up for the same job... One white, one black... but the white guy gets they job even though he is slightly less qualified, then it must be that the black guy was lazy, eh?

Or is it that in your world, this never happens and people are just making stuff up?
We know that racism exists, because some people are dumbasses that never change.

But per the thread title - Is racism still a BIG factor in keeping minorities down? Based on the fact that minorities get so much preferential treatment across the board in education and employment and have been for the last 50 years, most people think the answer to this question is no.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:40 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:

Usually the black guy would get the job, even if he were less qualified. I was even told by a black guy, against whom I was going up against for a promotion, that he would get the job because he was black. (I had twice his experience and a much superior education.) He was right - he got the job.

I had a (white) friend who lost a promotion to her (black) subordinate, who had less education and less experience. My friend sued for reverse discrimination, and won. (This was a federal agency.)

Old 08-11-2018, 06:45 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Is that your conclusion? Interesting? But I put it to you, what is the point of any discussion? Does there have to be a conclusion? A meeting of the minds?

Since it is rare that ANYONE convinces anyone else on CD that their position is right or wrong, then what's the point of any of this?
Perhaps I erred by focusing my comment on this thread or CD. There's been this big push in general to have this conversation, that Eric Holder said we were so cowardly for not having, about racism and how evil and uniquely racist whitey has been and continues to be. Well now we're having it and we're having it ad nauseam. It has been predictably contentious and unproductive yet it goes on and on. Is the point just to have us hating each other or is there some end game here? Like I said, for the sake of the argument let's concede that whitey is evil. Uniquely and horribly and unforgivably evil and racist. Now what? We already have laws against discrimination. The government has done all it can to ensure a level playing field at the legal level. So what next?

Old 08-11-2018, 08:33 AM

241 posts, read 143,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Perhaps I erred by focusing my comment on this thread or CD. There's been this big push in general to have this conversation, that Eric Holder said we were so cowardly for not having, about racism and how evil and uniquely racist whitey has been and continues to be. Well now we're having it and we're having it ad nauseam. It has been predictably contentious and unproductive yet it goes on and on. Is the point just to have us hating each other or is there some end game here? Like I said, for the sake of the argument let's concede that whitey is evil. Uniquely and horribly and unforgivably evil and racist. Now what? We already have laws against discrimination. The government has done all it can to ensure a level playing field at the legal level. So what next?
The reason it’s unproductive is because of people like you. We don’t want some cockamamie half ass apology “yeah yeah whitey is evil” no, we really just want to be left alone...GLOBALLY. Contrary to popular belief, we Black people do not need White peoples to be successful. All we need is for White people GLOBALLY to stop meddling in our affairs. In the US, it’s simply to stop demonizing us in the media, stop over policing our neighborhoods, stop underfunding our schools and after school programs, stop minimizing our voting power through gerrymandering, stop increasing sentencing from drug crimes which effects minority communities, stop UNICOR and privatized prison which incentivizes mass incarceration, stop using COINTELPRO like tactics to destabilize and eradicate any and all acts of Black collaboration movements and much more. Globally it is to stop murdering our leaders who aim to nationalize our industries. Stop using the World Bank and IMF as economic war vehicles used to place leaders of resource rich nations in perpetual servitude. Stop applying sanctions on us that cripple our economies when we don’t do exactly as you say. You see, we don’t anything from you...we just want you to leave us alone.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
You keep saying this... that "Whitey is Evil." Then you suggest we wash our hands of the entire issue. "Oh well, nothing can be done about it." You have nothing of value to add to the conversation so why don't you take your own advice and just move on.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-11-2018 at 10:41 AM..

Old 08-11-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Usually the black guy would get the job, even if he were less qualified. I was even told by a black guy, against whom I was going up against for a promotion, that he would get the job because he was black. (I had twice his experience and a much superior education.) He was right - he got the job.

I had a (white) friend who lost a promotion to her (black) subordinate, who had less education and less experience. My friend sued for reverse discrimination, and won. (This was a federal agency.)
Sorry, your anecdotes don't impress. How about some facts to go with your views?

ww.vox.com/identities/2017/9/18/16307782/study-racism-jobs

"A new study, by researchers at Northwestern University, Harvard, and the Institute for Social Research in Norway, looked at every available field experiment on hiring discrimination from 1989 through 2015. The researchers found that anti-black racism in hiring is unchanged since at least 1989, while anti-Latino racism may have decreased modestly."

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-11-2018 at 10:38 AM..

Old 08-11-2018, 10:27 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Considering the majority population (whites) benefits the most from the above, your post doesn’t make much sense.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:50 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I agree, but in the era of Trump. If your a black female with 200k debt from getting all these degrees, a black man who has been to prison, a white person feeling some sort of guilt, and to rap it all in during the era of Trump. Such people will put the blame on racism. I wonder if the narrative would be different if Trump wasn't President? This question is open to anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I spoke the truth here. If Trump wasn't president, will such people put a huge emphasis on racism? Answer my questions. A simple yes or no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Yes.

History shows that racism for black people has always been a big emphasis and subject that required activism - this has been the case since the 1700s in America.
Wholemindedly agree here. ^

It's simply self-evidently historically true.

Additionally, were the 'narratives' espoused markedly different with our previous POTUS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies