Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is racism a big factor in keep minorities down?
Yes 62 34.83%
No 116 65.17%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 05:00 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times

Advertisements

Yes and no. There are external factors that have held them down but sometimes racism is used as a crutch or an excuse to stay down. I think the Great Society did them more harm than good in the long run as well.

And plenty do rise above so "down" is by no means a universal condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 05:10 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
An estimated 86.8% of black students borrow federal student loans to attend a four-year public college, as opposed to 59.9% of white students,

Black students borrow more than other students for the same degrees, and black borrowers are more likely than white borrowers to drop out without receiving a degree.
How is that related to racism? It sounds like personal choices or the inability to make the cut. Just because one can go to college doesn't make it the right decision. For my son it would have been absolutely wrong, at least at that point in his life. He went to a trade school instead and has been very successful as a result.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:23 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Historically, without a doubt. The Black experience in America (and other places) was a nightmare.

Currently, no. Most Black folks are middle class or better. Most harm that affects Black folks tends to come from other Black folks or is self-inflicted.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:36 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Minorities that are at the bottom of the totem pole. So not Asians but blacks and hispanics.
But just because they are "at the bottom of the totem pole" does not begin to prove racism has any part of them getting there. The majority of hispanics in america now are likely illegal immigrants or first or second generation from them. Like it or not its true and this can be determined by census demographics and the actual number who were legally admitted.
The barriers to economic equality would have little to do with anyones racism and instead be related to lack of education or failure to learn english, or years of living under the radar.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:51 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I hate posts like this. They'll tell you won't accomplish anything in life, and when you do - its because of "affirmative action."
Kinda like when whites being told they only accomplished things because of "white privilege"
Btw most college students have to take out student loans, not just HBC
Not sure you are aware of student loan debt issues that all recent grads deal with.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:56 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
It depends.
If this racism is unleashed into laws like blocking of certain minorities from central cities, good jobs and universities- then yes.
If it's just something like we have today in USA - then not.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:56 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
No, it's an excuse

He being racist, hurt my feelings, give me something for free
Instead of pulling their bootstraps and making their selves better, hey claim racist and relie on government handout., racist is a way to not level out the playing field but to give an handicap to one side

Old 08-03-2018, 05:58 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
I am white and did not have the financial means to attend college so stuff your implied notions that whites are all rich so get a free ride through college merely due to their race.
LMAO
One of my posts points out 60% of white students use student loans.

Show proof I'm accusing whites of being rich. I'll be waiting.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:00 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Yes, but the racism is a left-wing thing. For example, US public education system results. Teachers unions make 94% of their political donations to Democrats (source: Open Secrets).

Percent of 12th grade students of each race/ethnicity who are proficient or above, by race/ethnicity group:

Mathematics:

Overall: 26%

Asian/Pacific Islander: 47%
White: 33%
American Indian/Alaska Native: 12%
Hispanic: 12%
Black: 7%

Reading:

Overall: 38%

Asian/Pacific Islander: 47%
White: 47%
American Indian/Alaska Native: 26%
Hispanic: 23%
Black: 16%

National Assessment of Educational Progress - NAEP - 12th Grade Mathematics and Reading

Does anyone really wish to assert that Hispanic or Black students are actually that much less intelligent than White students? Or is it far more likely that our country's public K-12 education system is the largest, most wide-spread form of institutional racism there is in the U.S., thanks to Democrats?

BTW, it isn't a funding issue. Many school districts (e.g., Camden, NJ, Washington, DC, etc.) spend $20,000+ per student per year and still yield abysmal results....

Old 08-03-2018, 06:00 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
How is that related to racism? It sounds like personal choices or the inability to make the cut. Just because one can go to college doesn't make it the right decision.
Agreed. What made you think the fact that I quoted was about racism? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
For my son it would have been absolutely wrong, at least at that point in his life. He went to a trade school instead and has been very successful as a result.
That's the way to do it imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies