Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: See thread title
I lean TO supporting a dictatorship if they'd run the country my way 12 8.70%
I lean AGAINST supporting a dictatorship even if they'd run the country my way 126 91.30%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 05:16 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times

Advertisements

When is somebody going to set up Mass Clinics for the Hysterical Meltdown Crowd??

Support Dictators?? They are totally unhinged and it's getting worse.

I expect a question or poll here any day about "Ovens" to take care of Deplorables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 05:16 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Default If there was a dictator who you knew for a FACT would run the country how you wanted, would you support them?

No, not even if he/she was the wisest philosopher-king of all time...

...because even if he/she was the greatest and most enlightened ruler possible and was some somehow immune to the "absolute power corrupts absolutely" law of (human) nature, he/she will die someday and his/her kid or similar replacement will inevitably be a tyrannical d-bag.

That's just how the world works.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:35 PM

18,734 posts, read 7,606,770 times
If there was a dictator who you knew for a FACT would run the country how you wanted, would you support them?

Of course not.

Silly troll question, right?

That dictator won't last forever. And the one who replaces him is one who is single-minded, determined, and ruthless enough to fight his way to the top and not let ANYTHING stop him.

The problem with a dictator, is not necessarily today's dictator. It's the next one. And the next. And the fact that there are NO checks and balances to keep him from acting like, well, quite a few of the dictators we've seen in the last few centuries. Or longer.

The fact that anyone can even ASK if we would support a dictator we happen to like, shows just how uneducated some people are on history and politics.

Dictators have a very bad name, collectively, for a reason.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:35 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
What a dumb question.

What else have you got?
Not a dumb question at all since 30 to 40% of Americans fit into that category. They support Trump, an authoritarian who rules by dictates (EO) and tweets...

It only makes sense that if he was actually a good person, smart and did things right...that the number would be higher.

There is no amazing secret to America. In fact, Chinese people are MUCH smarter (IQ, education, etc.) and 80% of them support a dictator (or similar). The reason is simple - their ruling class are scientists and engineers and - in general - have made things MUCH better for the country and population.

In the end people want order as well as a decent civilization. Here we are asked to give up any idea of advanced like high speed trains, etc.....and what do we get for it? A Clown Show and 2X or more the price for terrible health care. Forever war.

BUT, hey, I have the right to stand on the corner and curse out the President....

Honestly which is really worth more?

Read about RWA and it will make some sense. My guess is that 35% would support a so-so dictator and vastly more one that really cased. Health, food, housing, etc. are MUCH more important than being able to have Nazi rallies....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-...thoritarianism

Old 08-03-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
since the US is designed to prevent a true dictatorship from ever happening...
Has it occurred to you to wonder WHY the U.S. is designed to prevent a true dictatorship from ever happening?

Old 08-03-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
The problem with a dictator, is not necessarily today's dictator. It's the next one. And the next. And the fact that there are NO checks and balances to keep him from acting like, well, quite a few of the dictators we've seen in the last few centuries. Or longer.

The fact that anyone can even ASK if we would support a dictator we happen to like, shows just how uneducated some people are on history and politics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
It only makes sense that if he was actually a good person, smart and did things right...that the number would be higher.
Look, there goes another one!

Old 08-03-2018, 05:47 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
No Way.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:55 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,943 times
Not a Fu*#%ng Chance in He*l would I support a dictator.

I choose the ability to make the choices for my self, I choose freewill.

Last edited by rigby06; 08-03-2018 at 06:21 PM..

Old 08-03-2018, 06:08 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
When is somebody going to set up Mass Clinics for the Hysterical Meltdown Crowd??

Support Dictators?? They are totally unhinged and it's getting worse.

I expect a question or poll here any day about "Ovens" to take care of Deplorables.
I just asked a hypothetical question.

Feel free to continue your meltdown though.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:20 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Wild hypothetical since the US is designed to prevent a true dictatorship from ever happening...but I'm curious about people's mindset on this anyway.

Would you support someone who 100% shared your stances having absolute power in the US?

Or would you prefer the current system, even if it means the country won't necessarily be run the way you want it to be?

And if we can, let's try to not get into little catfights over whether which "side" would just *love* a dictatorship lol. Just answer as an individual.

And because I don't want this thread to turn into being about Trump or Obama or Hillary, let's pretend the dictator would be somebody completely new.
No way. This country is not a dictatorship, it's a Constitutional Republic. What that means is that we have our freedoms, but we don't always get everything that we want. I'll take freedom, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies