Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: See thread title
I lean TO supporting a dictatorship if they'd run the country my way 12 8.70%
I lean AGAINST supporting a dictatorship even if they'd run the country my way 126 91.30%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 12:49 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
This is interesting on a few levels...

1. It's basically measuring how authoritarian people are.

2. It shows who likes centralized power vs. decentralized power.

3. Some of the responses go along with something I heard someone say recently... that the left often downplays or denies that government is forceful and authoritarian by its nature (ex: the government is the people, it's democracy, it's just organizing for everyone's benefit, etc.), and the right often understands it, but actually embraces it (ex: government is force, and we openly support it...obey our laws or face the consequences).

Absolute no from me. I'd go even further and say that I'd be strongly against putting myself on the throne. The best case scenario is that I'd do absolutely nothing, and even then people would have to pay for my housing or salary.
It's interesting because they don't think there's much if any difference between a dictator and a democracy.

What difference does it make if a lone man or 51% of the population decide to rob, cage, or kill me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 06:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's interesting because they don't think there's much if any difference between a dictator and a democracy.

What difference does it make if a lone man or 51% of the population decide to rob, cage, or kill me?
Well, the difference now is that 40% of the population decided to do that......

But the thread really isn't about caging you - it's about a benevolent dictator that might....

1. Balance the Budget
2. Reform Health Care
3. Save trillions on the security state
4. Build incredible infrastructure including nicer airports, high speed rail and hyperloops.
5. Clean up the air, earth and water
6. Cut the size of government...

And, in the process, put more of your money into your pocket because that is what efficiency and productivity does.

Let me apply this another way - and maybe this will get people thinking.

IF we were able to somehow take all 320 Million Americans and transpose them to China (and they lost their memory, but still had access to historical records, etc.)...I'd bet that 3/4 of them would support the benevolent dictator (or whatever you want to call Xi) there.....

If that is the truth - and I really think it is, then folks are not answering this poll correctly. The entire modus operandi of the American Right is "law and order" and they don't care if "3 strikes you're out" is Constitutional or not. "Law and Order" can be code for authoritarianism....which can be seen in the militarization of our LE. "Law and Order" is the GOP led effort to attack other countries in the wake of 9/11 and pass numerous laws curtailing freedoms.

It's truly amazing how soon people forget...and act as if they (their party, their types) were against all that stuff. No No No. A vast percentage of the Right supported the wars even after it was clear that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11, etc.

So why is that? Do they just love violence and death? Or, are they just more easily brainwashed and led down the path? I report...you decide.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:53 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Wild hypothetical since the US is designed to prevent a true dictatorship from ever happening...but I'm curious about people's mindset on this anyway.

Would you support someone who 100% shared your stances having absolute power in the US?

Or would you prefer the current system, even if it means the country won't necessarily be run the way you want it to be?

And if we can, let's try to not get into little catfights over whether which "side" would just *love* a dictatorship lol. Just answer as an individual.

And because I don't want this thread to turn into being about Trump or Obama or Hillary, let's pretend the dictator would be somebody completely new.
No a dictatorship means that the people are disenfranchised and a single person has absolute control of the state. Terrible idea

Old 08-05-2018, 12:03 AM

73,006 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanLoyalist View Post
Way to many to list really. I am a straight white male. Everyone hates me so I return the favor.

Oh well. Its America after all we can agree to disagree. Democracy was NOT what our founders intended anyways a Republic was. So since we have already deviated from the course set for us why not deviate some more?
At least have the honor and courage to admit who you see as your enemies. By the way, I'm a Black male. I belong to the feared and most looked down on segment of U.S. society. You do not see me treating everyone who isn't me as my enemy. I try to love everyone. I don't have this "return the favor" mentality.

And yes, I know this is America. I don't want your vision of "the perfect government" to be a reality in America. If I wanted to live in a dictatorship, I would go live in Venezuela, North Korea, or Saudi Arabia. A Republic is not a dictatorship. Democracy is about the people having a say in what goes on. I'm not about to have your version of what should be. Jim Crow was pretty much a dictatorship. Considering how bad that was, I'm not about to have dictatorship be the form of government for the USA as a whole. No dictatorship anywhere. Anyone who favors a dictatorship is supporting something that is a threat to me.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:38 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanLoyalist View Post
Way to many to list really. I am a straight white male. Everyone hates me so I return the favor.
I really don't know how to respond to this, other than to say that seeing hatred everywhere and giving it back in kind sounds like a pretty miserable way to live.

I am truly sorry you feel that way, and I mean that with every fiber of my being.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:54 AM

73,006 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I really don't know how to respond to this, other than to say that seeing hatred everywhere and giving it back in kind sounds like a pretty miserable way to live.

I am truly sorry you feel that way, and I mean that with every fiber of my being.
It is a pretty sad way to live. It is also scary. Persons who have that "return the hate" mentality, I wonder what they would do if they were in power themselves.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:42 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
But the thread really isn't about caging you - it's about a benevolent dictator that might....

1. Balance the Budget
2. Reform Health Care
3. Save trillions on the security state
4. Build incredible infrastructure including nicer airports, high speed rail and hyperloops.
5. Clean up the air, earth and water
6. Cut the size of government...

And, in the process, put more of your money into your pocket because that is what efficiency and productivity does.
Thought I'd leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNIgztvyU2U

Old 08-05-2018, 02:51 PM

639 posts, read 248,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It is a pretty sad way to live. It is also scary. Persons who have that "return the hate" mentality, I wonder what they would do if they were in power themselves.
I have a plan all worked out....wouldn't be hard really...simplest part is having a false flag attack that causes you as president to declare martial law and suspend congress...from there the possibilities are endless.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:40 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Thought I'd leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNIgztvyU2U
I love that one by Larken. Been awhile since I watched it.

We kid the Statists with "Vote harder next time". Well, after this thread we can now tell them to "King harder next time" when their grand plans fall apart.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:50 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Since the question was " who you knew for a FACT would run the country how you wanted, "
then your answer should be 'yes'
Since reading posts here from so many who think they know better and know it all about everything, I' m surprised more didn't say Yes,
Well I would eliminate welfare of all forms. Work or starve.

Better hope I never become a dictator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies